Whats best to buy? Popcorn vs EVA vs Western Digital Media

pharris2202

Standard Member
Hi there I was looking for a media player to plug my hard drive into to watch MKV files on my HDTV. I have been told the popcorn hour A110 is very good but I noticed they are around the £200 mark. I was told Western Digital have one for around £80, I know next to nothing about these type of players and wanted advice on what to buy. Being perfectly honest I didn't wanna spend £200 and am looking to spend £100-£150. should I buy 2nd hand or is the western digital HD Media any good?

all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Hi there I was looking for a media player to plug my hard drive into to watch MKV files on my HDTV. I have been told the popcorn hour A110 is very good but I noticed they are around the £200 mark. I was told Western Digital have one for around £80, I know next to nothing about these type of players and wanted advice on what to buy. Being perfectly honest I didn't wanna spend £200 and am looking to spend £100-£150. should I buy 2nd hand or is the western digital HD Media any good?

all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

You can't stream to the WD as far as I'm aware, only attached storage (i.e. usb drives) or internal HDD only

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Well he did say 'to plug my hard drive into' so perhaps the fact you can't stream to the WDTV isn't an issue anyway. I've got the WDTV and it's fantastic, the thing is I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep it because the media capabilities of my PS3 keep going from strength to strength. The lack of coverart for movies needs addressing on the WDTV , as does the lack of menu support on dvd .iso files. I'm sure both of those will be sorted out in a future firmware upgrade.

pharris2202

Standard Member
the lack of cover art doesn't bother me and I heard there is no menu support for .iso's on the popcorn either so I think I'll go for the western digital. At £80 you can't complain at all and all my MKV's are on my external HDD. Whats the sound set up on the Western Digital like? Can I plug my 5.1 surround system in it no problem?

Seth C

Standard Member
I've had the WDTV for a few months now and on the whole it is excellent. Picture and sound quality are amazing with good mkv files. And yes it does output 5.1 through the HDMI and optical outputs. even the upscaling of low definition avi files is pretty impressive.
However, there are a few audio codecs that are not supported, so instead of getting the full 5.1 sound through the digital outputs you sometimes have to resort to listening in 2 channels which is a bit dissappointing.
But one big problem for me is its lack of streaming abilities, somethign I didn't really forsee when I bought it! I have to say it's a pain to keep having to move new files onto the external hard drive from my computer, and then reattaching it downstairs to my WD HDTV. I regret not getting something like the popcorn hour so I can stream videos from the network. I've tried to think of various solutions like getting a NAS drive that you can switch from the ethernet connection to be a standard usb drive, but ultimately if you go for this option you may as well get a player with streaming capabilities. Eventually it seems like I will definitely trade up to a Popcorn hour.
Does anyone know if the video / audio codec support for PCH is as good as WD HDTV?

t72bogie

Novice Member
EVA8000 are going cheap 2nd hand - plays mkv just fine and just about anything else...in fact in 2 years I dont think ive had a file it dosent play !

Thresherinc

You can't stream to the WD as far as I'm aware, only attached storage (i.e. usb drives) or internal HDD only

You can stream to the WDTV over a network with the aid of an unofficial firmware and a USB network dongle.

You can find the details in here start [WDTV WIKI]

I have decided against buying the WDTV myself as I really cba with that stuff any more, I want off the shelf compatibility for all my stuff, too many years playing the internet game.

:D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom