1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats Best Projector Upto £3k

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by chrislewis, Jan 18, 2005.

1. chrislewis

chrislewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    HI all got a max budget of £3k what in your opioins are the best projectors
    i have a relatively small room screen is 11ft away from pj point

cheers

chris

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    What size screen and what seating distance from the screen? Do you prefer DLP or LCD? Seating distance and screen size can dictate which technology and resolution is suitable. Have you had any demos yet?

There's not really such thing as a best projector as such, but a projector that's best for you.

The new LCD Sony HS50 seems a good option and is only £1600 or so (can be less).

There are vga and xga DLP projectors under £3000, and you might be able to get some 1280 x 720 DLPs for that price, but that depends on whether or not you suffer from the rainbow effect. I think the Infocus 7200 or 7205 (1280 x 720) is within your price range, so that might be worth a look, though you might prefer the image from an XGA projector, which is really all you need right now for tv and DVD unless you need to sit much closer than 2 x screen width. A 6ft screen is probably the best size you can hope for if you can only sit 11ft away (I assume that's the length of the room). Don't forget to take into account the depth of the pj.

You have to see these things in action, and preferably at a good shop that can set them up properly. Specs are one thing. but projectors can look quite different and perform differently to each other, so you really need to see them, and in similar conditions to your home. Will you have an light on when watching? If so, a brighter pj will be more suitable, or a grey screen will help.

Gary.

3. chrislewis

chrislewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for reply ill fill in some gaps i use a 6ft screen at 11ft watching distance my first projector was pan 100e lcd then moved onto infocus ls110 which is dlp i saw a great improvement when i changed now about 3years old ive upgraded the rest of my system and pj is last on list i live very close to creative audio who i buy all my stuff off but there pj range and knowlege is a bit limited as they have not long started dealing in pj and plasmas for all my other equipment and advice there service has been secound to none.

Im just wandering if my £3k budget will be enough to see a big improvement over th ls110

any advice woul be much appreciated

chris

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The Domino 18 at £2850 is within your budget but would have to be about 13 ft away to fill a 6 ft wide screen.

Jeff :rtfm:

5. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    If you go by what the press says, the Infocus 5700 wins hands down !

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Had the Infocs 7200 on loan for the weekend. Lovely bright projector with a great PQ. However, did see some dithering which I am prone too rather than rainbows.

Very odd.

The 7200 has been described as a light canon - and it is. I could watch tv/DVD in the daytime or at night with my lounge light on and not lose the picture.

Down to about £2200.00 now too,

Cheers,

Captain Benefit.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hi Cap,

How did the 7200 compare to the Ht1000?

Have you seen any LCDs yet? I wonder if you'd find them easier on the eye.

Gary.

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Chris,

The 7200 has about 3 times the contrast of the LS110, and much greater resolution. You should see an improvement so I would think it would be one to consider.

The Mitsubishi HC2000 is about £3200 and has better contrast but is still a 720pj. It did have some image issues similar to the Optoma H77 (more or less the same machine), but they should be resolved by now I would think.

The BenQ 8700 is also £2139 at Ebuyer.com.

There may be some XGA or Matterhorn pjs for less with higher contrast, but the above might be OK provided they will fit into your room. Try projectorcentral.com for throw to see which ones will fit.

Gary.

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Gary,

The NEC has a slightly more filmic picture if that makes sense. A little smoother with deeper blacks all told. However, the 7200 was incredibly bright which had a wow factor for me. What is funny is that I had a headache :suicide: come on when watching the 7200 whereas the NEC never caused any problems. As before able to watch it with the light on. :cool:

Still looking around and trying to source a local dealer for the HS50 so I can see it but it seems that most shops in Bristol, of which there are two or three, are stocking DLP machines. Also, I cant see them competing with forum sponsors such as discunt tv and nexnix for price :hiya:

All the best,

Cap :)

10. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd recommend the BenQ, I upgraded from a AE100 and (not surprisingly ) the difference was enormous. It's throw is pretty similar to the AE100, I've installed mine where the AE100 was. It works well with a HTPC ( if you have one ) and has quite a following in the states on the avsforums.

There are (apparently) some cheaper 1280x720 DLP projectors coming out in March but then there's always something better just around the corner....

If you want to spend a bit more then the Optoma H77 seems to be popular.

Simon

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hi Cap,

Thanks for the info. That's kind of what I thought you would say. :)

I think it's always easy to think brighter is better, it's an obvious reaction, though I find brighter can also mean more image noise, which is why I prefer something less bright. Some prefer the brighter more plasma look and don;t notice the image noise, so I think it's useful to know beforehand which category you may fit into. At least with an overly bright pj, you can reduce the lumens with a filter if necessary.

Cheers.

Gary.

12. babyG

babyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't forget to allow 10 - 15% for cabling etc. do you need componant conversion etc?

Thats where I cocked up!!

13. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd have said 1% rather than 10-15% if you're spending this much on a projector. I bought a 7.5m Lindy DVI-D cable for my £2400 BenQ 8700+ and it cost me just shy of £30 delivered. With my previous projector I had a 15m beige VGA cable and it worked fine, VGA in particular is pretty resiliant and DVI-D seems fine over short-medium distances. I'd spend all you can afford on the projector and then get some fancy cables later if you must...

Cheers
    Simon

14. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Recently got a 7200 (my first ever PJ) for around £2k which is a lot of PJ for the money.
    My only gripe really is the fan noise but that said I have not been able to compare it to any other DLPs so it is probably 'normal'.
    If you can find anywhere that still has stock left I'd recommend an audition.

15. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Mr Grumpy.

Have you changed the fan settings high or low or something like that.

I did not find the 7200 any louder than most other units I have bought/loaned.

Not just being 'grumpy' are you? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cap.

16. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Lol @ the Grumpy remark :laugh:

In truth once you are watching a film at normal volume levels it is not too bad but as I say I have nothing to compare it to really. In an ideal world it would be as near to silent as possible yet still offering the same cooling performance...hmm maybe one day. That one gripe aside I am bowled over by it though, not least when you consider the rrp when new.

17. chrislewis

chrislewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Cheers for all you input i think im leaning towards the 5700 some good prices out there at moment ive got a denon 3805 which upscales all my inputs to component inc my 3910 dvd player would i be better of runnind a dvi-d or hdmi cable upto pj along side the component for the dvd player alone or is the improvement not worth the exspense or hassle of running another cable.
    Whats the best price youve seen the 5700 at and where

thanks all

chris

18. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  19. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    How about a 2nd hand NEC HT1000? With the FL-Day filter mod, I'd recently measured 2000:1 contrast ratio, and that's calibrated to D65, so it's quite an improvement over the 5700. It also has Faroudja DCDi and plenty of image options too, so is very versatile. Most will have over a years warranty left over, and they have the option of a dedicated anamorphic lens.

Gary.

20. chrislewis

chrislewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    do you know to any secound hand units

cheers

21. gymboy17

gymboy17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the BenQ PE8700 projector. It is a DLP projector which I think is better than LCD because the image appears pixel free and you just get a sharp clear picture, very high contrast 2500:1 ratio. good blacks and very good image when playing DVD's especially. It cost me £2400. Mounted 10 feet away it will give you a superb 7ft wide image. Great for small rooms. Check out the specs for this one on the net and see how much it has to offer.
    You may have heard about the rainbow effect with DLP projectors. It seems some people can and some can't see this effect on the screen. I can even with this high end projector which is supposed to do away with it. However, it's quite rare to see it and the pro's outway the con's with this BenQ.

22. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    chrislewis,

Do be aware that the 5700 has a long throw lens which may make things awkward within your planned set up.

Cap :)

23. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

A most valid point and the one reason that I had to swap mine for a 7200 which is quite noticeably shorter in it's throw. No matter what we tried we simply could not get the 5700 to fill the width of my 7 foot screen. The annoying thing is that we are only talking an inch or so at each side, but if you have paid for a specific size of screen it makes sense to try and fill it.

24. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you're looking at a 1024 x 576 chip like the 5700, why not consider the much cheaper (and apparently very good) Mitsubishi HC900 (£1600) or the Optoma H57 (£1800). Both with shorter throws. I intend to look at both these myself before making a purchase. The 5700 is quite old now and has the Matterhorn as opposed to the new Darkchip2. You could get yourself an DVD player with DVI/HDMI with the money saved to improve the PQ further!

25. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I thought the H57 had a long throw like the 5700? this was one of the reasons I decided to bite the bullet and spend the extra to get the BenQ. There was some talk of a short throw lens but this was an extra few hundred pounds as I recall...

26. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Gymboy,

Be aware that advertised contrast is rarely accurate to the pj when in video mode. The NEC is rated at 3000:1, yet can only achieve 2000:1 calibrated with a filter attached.

Very few pj manufacturers quote calibrated contrast ratios - Infocus are one of the few. The Optoma H77 quotes 3500:1, yet I'm only getting 2600:1 at best. I think it was 2300:1 out of the box.

You can sometimes get near the quoted figures if you increase the individual RGB contrast settings so that the image is blue/green, reduce the brightness right down, contrast right up so that you end up with no black or white detail, and colours that don't look at all natural or pleasing.

Gary.

27. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think it's the other way around. The H57 has got a throw ratio of 1.6-1.8 - which I think is a short throw since it puts the projector in front or above your head for a reasonable viewing distance. 5700 is 1.9-2.6, so is reasonable to back wall mount (for me anyway). Of course this all depends on your own room specs.

I need a circa 2.0 ratio to fit my attic space with the restrictions in the eves. The HC900 goes up to 1.95, so might just do it. For the H57 I need the long throw lens.

28. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    chrislewis

Remember to factor in the Three Year Hot Swap Warranty, Three Month Lamp warranty and relatively low Replacement lamp cost the ThemeScene H77 offers you for sub 3.5K.

The H77 will achieve your lens to screen distance of 132" on a 16:9 72" wide screen - and its very quiet.

The H77 video processing is pretty good - though you can add a Lumagen or DVDO if you want to improve it further.

I'd be tempted to install DVI + RGBHV/YUV + S-Video cables - whilst the up-conversion on your AV Receiver is quite a 'handy' feature any S-Video sources will look best left as S-Video and let the projector do its stuff with them.

Your DVD player is likely to look best via DVI - I'm pretty sure the H77 is 'optimised' for DVI; my demo units in and out like a Yoyo at present so I cant get much time to have a decent play with it; maybe I need a second demo unit!

Best regards

Joe

29. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I believe the H77a (H79 in the USA) will be out in a few months time, so the H77 will come down in price in order to clear stock. With 2300:1 CR out of the box and tweakable to 2600:1, it's not a bad little machine for the price.

The Mitsubishi HC900 (mattern chip I believe) is about £1800 and has an advertised contrast of 4000:1 (iris shut, similar to HT1000) which is probably half that or more in reality. Seems like a better spec on paper than the 5700 so might be worth a look.

Gary.

30. simon40

simon40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone know what the differences/improvements are between the H77 and H77a/H79?

Simon