Whats Best: Giganews Or uTorrent?

Frankie 7

Novice Member
Ok i use uTorrent for my downloading of big files but i have been talking to a mate who was talking about Newsgroups and giganews in particular.

Is it faster to download by using Giganews (newsgroups in general)?

Or should i just stick with uTorrent? (Or any other torrent client)?

I don't know anything about newsgroups so any info given i would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
They are 2 completely different things....

uTorrent is a client for torrents.

Giganews is a service for accessing usenet servers.

Frankie 7

Novice Member
They are 2 completely different things....

uTorrent is a client for torrents.

Giganews is a service for accessing usenet servers.

Yeah i know that much but what i am asking is stated above. I not asking what they are.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Then usenet it has to be. uTorrent is better for more 0day/0hour stuff. But ratio is a killer on privates. So usenet is the way to go.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Yep Newsgroups all the way.

For just a few dollars for unlimited downloads and very secure and downloads at your max connection speed. Though I wouldn't use Giga. Far too expensive unless you have a special deal that last more than 3 months.

I use Astraweb for under £7 a month. They dont monitor anything you download ( even amounts ). and 416 days retention ( how long the files are available ).

the only thing about them is that with torrents, you get slightly more obscure stuff, but that usually means very few seeds and so very slow downloads.

Nah go with Usenet, trust us on this.

For some blinding info go here

Slyck.com - Guide To The Usenet Newsgroups - QuickStart

Frankie 7

Novice Member
Yep Newsgroups all the way.

For just a few dollars for unlimited downloads and very secure and downloads at your max connection speed. Though I wouldn't use Giga. Far too expensive unless you have a special deal that last more than 3 months.

I use Astraweb for under £7 a month. They dont monitor anything you download ( even amounts ). and 416 days retention ( how long the files are available ).

the only thing about them is that with torrents, you get slightly more obscure stuff, but that usually means very few seeds and so very slow downloads.

Nah go with Usenet, trust us on this.

For some blinding info go here

Slyck.com - Guide To The Usenet Newsgroups - QuickStart

Not sure as i have a very low line speed. Always have and just unlucky on how far aaway from the exchange i live i suppose. I'm lucky if i get around 1Meg at times. Wish i could get Virgin broadband.
Does this make a difference? Will i notice a difference from Torrents?

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Not sure as i have a very low line speed. Always have and just unlucky on how far aaway from the exchange i live i suppose. I'm lucky if i get around 1Meg at times. Wish i could get Virgin broadband.
Does this make a difference? Will i notice a difference from Torrents?
In that case probably not, at least not if you use popular torrents with a lot of seeds.

But I'd never touch torrents again. Getway too much attention ATM even if you only get fairly harmless stuff like TV shows etc.

The thing that gets many P2P stuff some slack is the fact they dont hold any of this stuff, but only provide a system to connect users. With Newsgroups, they actually hold the illegal copied films/games etc on their servers. So how they have escaped I dont know.

You do have a much better chance of getting nasty viruses from torrents, but usually only from fairly obvious titles that shout "LOOK AT ME".

Basically, if your not afraid to show the MPAA etc exactly what your doing, then stick with torrents. If you want to be secure, then get rid.

Oh and as a disclaimer, if you like it, buy it!!!!

discover

1mb line is slow.. i thought 4mb was the "lowest" speed currently available.
usenet gave me great service whilst i used it, you really do get full whack speed. on my 20mb line, i get 2.35MBp/s but with your 1mb line, you won't get any more than 125kbp/s. you may be better off with utorrent until you upgrade your broadband speed.

pxr5

For rare, hard to find stuff, with a long retention you still can't beat emule (way, way better than bittorrent).

Now bittorrent is OK if you can live with all the nazi private trackers, which I can't.......so

News - retention is growing so so fast the providers will eventually stop deleting content.

Never tried RS so can't comment, but the ease of using a decent client (SAbnzbd+) a a good server (Astraweb) makes the whole experience a breeze to use with news. And nzbs, and their ever growing sites, make it simpler still. News all the way for me.

Frankie 7

Novice Member
1mb line is slow.. i thought 4mb was the "lowest" speed currently available.
usenet gave me great service whilst i used it, you really do get full whack speed. on my 20mb line, i get 2.35MBp/s but with your 1mb line, you won't get any more than 125kbp/s. you may be better off with utorrent until you upgrade your broadband speed.
Wish i could upgrade it's the fatest i can get. I have a 8mb line with unlimited usage (need the usage).

What is RS?

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Wish i could upgrade it's the fatest i can get. I have a 8mb line with unlimited usage (need the usage).

What is RS?
yeah, long distances from your exchange sucks. This may be sad, but I would even base a house move on exchange differnces! OH dear!

RS means Rapid Share. It's actually quite similar to newsgroups. Some up loads a file. A link to gets made and you click the link to download. Where you get get these links I dont know though. I have only stumbled upon them on my web travels. You can download them for free I think but at slow speeds and only one at a time. You can pay for a priority service with max download speed and multiple files.

But in fairness to torrent sites, the private ones do offer a great community and some very rare personal uploads. But keeping ratios level was just too much of a pain in the arse for me eventually.

Last edited:

Frankie 7

Novice Member
yeah, long distances from your exchange sucks. This may be sad, but I would even base a house move on exchange differnces! OH dear!

RS means Rapid Share. It's actually quite similar to newsgroups. Some up loads a file. A link to gets made and you click the link to download. Where you get get these links I dont know though. I have only stumbled upon them on my web travels. You can download them for free I think but at slow speeds and only one at a time. You can pay for a priority service with max download speed and multiple files.

But in fairness to torrent sites, the private ones do offer a great community and some very rare personal uploads. But keeping ratios level was just too much of a pain in the arse for me eventually.

Yeah i have come across rapidshare. I had a mate who had premium service and let me into his account so i could download stuff. Was a pain though because had to download photoshop cs4 in 11 parts. Was a nightmare to be honest. I like soemwhere i can download the one file and thats it. If i wait until after midnight then i can get around 90+ K/B's for movies etc so might just as well stick with Torrents as i understand them.
I wish my street had virgin, It annoys me as the next street over has virgin. Argghh!!!

Uridium

Yeah i have come across rapidshare. I had a mate who had premium service and let me into his account so i could download stuff. Was a pain though because had to download photoshop cs4 in 11 parts. Was a nightmare to be honest. I like soemwhere i can download the one file and thats it. If i wait until after midnight then i can get around 90+ K/B's for movies etc so might just as well stick with Torrents as i understand them.
I wish my street had virgin, It annoys me as the next street over has virgin. Argghh!!!
You just paste all of the links into a download manager then extract them to get your single file at the end. Not really that much hassle + As your downloading direct from RS servers you will get your full download speed.

Curly99

Distinguished Member
The thing that gets many P2P stuff some slack is the fact they dont hold any of this stuff, but only provide a system to connect users. With Newsgroups, they actually hold the illegal copied films/games etc on their servers. So how they have escaped I dont know.
is it not the fact that the newsgroups hold the files as binary files in multiple parts so can claim that they don't hold actual copies of any software.

Curly

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom