1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats best for HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tflb, Jan 26, 2004.

1. tflb

tflb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I would like to build a HCPC but would like some help on the best way to go.

I will be connecting my HCPC to a widescreen TV to watch it all on.

I am a bit unsure what is the best way to go do I use a TV tuner and a graphics card or am I best to get an ATI card that does the whole job for me?

I am also a bit concerned about the quality of picture that I will get on a wide screen TV.

Any help would be great

2. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tough one this.
    Assuming that your display device is Standard Definition and interlaced, then many of the advantages of using a HCPC simply do not apply.

Can you give a few more details of why you were looking to go down the HCPC route?
    Is it for convergence (ie having your music/security/broadband controled by it too)?
    Is it because you will soon be upgrading to a HD display device?

Let us know and we can point you in the right direction :)
    Alex

3. tflb

tflb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help Alex.

What I would like to do is to hook my pc to the TV and be able to record live tv,watch DVDs and play music. I really don't want a monitor involved unless I have to.

Its really something I want to do instead of buiyng one of these new systems that record TV. It also gives me a bit more flexability to listen to music etc.

4. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok
    For the tv solution I would have a look at Nebula as it records the digital terrestrial stream straight to disc and is gaining a lot of momentum. There's lots on info on here and on their site.

If your digi reception is really really bad then it might be worth looking at something like Joveplayer and Xcard and a compatable capture card.

This gives a better picture out of it's own S-Video output than the radeon ones.

Have a read around about the products above and come back with any questions.

Cheers
    Alex

5. tflb

tflb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Alex for the help. I will have a look at these