1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's Best? A freeview dvd recorder or freewview LCD Tv?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by genfranco10, Oct 18, 2005.

1. genfranco10

genfranco10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    am i better off buying a dvd recorder with built in freeview (probably a sony one
    ) or a lcd tv (26", probably samsung le41rbdx) with it built in?

What should i get a better picture with? any recomendations?

I will buy either the dvd recorder or the lcd tv with it but don't really want to pay the extra to get both with freeview - or should i in order to get the ultimate result?

hope someone can offer some advice, would be much appreciated. This seemed the best place to go!
    thanks

:lease:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    It's a heck of sight easier to record Freeview if the tuner(s) are in the recorder. It means that recordings don't need the TV to be turned on (to use its tuner).

It's somewhat easier to watch live Freeview if the tuner is in the TV (don't need the recorder to be turned on).

DVD recorders with Freeview only have one tuner. Many PVRs (hard disc only - no DVD) have two. However, if you're buying DVD-HDD then you'll get only one. Meaning you can only watch or record ONE Freeview channel at once.

If you have Freeview in both then you get maximum ease of use, plus you can watch one (in the TV) whilst recording another (in the recorder).

3. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
  4. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I don't know how much you're planning on spending, but personally I don't think a "plain" DVD recorder is a great idea; in that case, I'd go for Freeview in the TV.

If you're planning on going for one of Sony's Hard-Drive & DVD recorder combi units (with dual-layer support) then definitely get that over built-in Freeview in a set.

They're a bit more expensive than just a DVD recorder, but far more flexible, and will save you money on discs, as you will only have to burn what you actually want to keep to DVD.

5. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    yup i quite agree the freeview and HDD combo is very sensible and easy to use, with PVR boxes at around 200 quid, do you really need the DVD recorder anyway?

6. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    It all depends on how you plan to use it really. If you're the sort of person that only watches something once and then tapes over (deletes) it, then there's no point.

If you're the kind of person that records stuff and then wants to watch them 6 months on or whenever, having a DVD burner makes sense. (or if you want to lend stuff out to friends/family)

My parents have just ordered the Sony RDR-HX510S, so I'll be checking that out and deciding what I want to go for myself later. (they'll be recording cable, so not having a freeview tuner isn't an issue for them) I'm not normally one for brand loyalty, but after the experience with Sony's VTX-D800U Freeview box, compared to other ones that were highly unstable/unreliable, I may pay the extra for that alone. (and having DVD recording will be a bonus)

7. genfranco10

genfranco10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks all, really useful!