1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats all the fuss about Dolby 5.1

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by SnakeUK, Jan 6, 2003.

1. SnakeUK

SnakeUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone explain what this thing does and why is it so favourable. Is it the Tv , the DVD player or the speaker system which must house this facility.

Basically I'm after the best suround sound setup i.e one where if a plane flys from behind and across the screen I would hear the rear speakers firat and then the front speakers as the plane flys forward.

I hope you understand folks.

Cheers to those who reply

2. clearys

clearys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi mate,

You must get 5.1!!!! Or dolby digital as it's normally called.

Basically, the rear speakers act independantly from the front, and will as you say, let you hear the plane coming from behind.

The differnece between dolby digital and dolby pro logic is that in pro logic the rears both play the same sound whereas in dolby digital, the rears are separate. so you can hear plane coming from behind and to the side as opposed to just behind you.

the best film to demonstrate this is the beach landing in saving private ryan - the bullets ricocheting around really have to be heard to be believed.

3. clearys

clearys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    oh yes -- and to answer your first question, you get it only through DVD's connected up to a Dolby Digital AMP. They can be expensive but definatley worth it :D

also , many new TV's come with it built in these days but a separate system is the best way to go

4. SnakeUK

SnakeUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks cleary.

What would you say is the best set. Ive just bought a new house which has two front rooms so I looking to make it as good as possible.

Currently considering Sony 32FX66 and Sony Davs 880 in one room andthe Tosh 32 ZD 26 and maybe a Mission speaker set up.

As you can probably tell, I'm new to this so would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks

5. SnakeUK

SnakeUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also what DVD films and scenes are the best to really hear the benefits of Dolby %.1. Is the matrix any good.

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    You may find THIS usefull.

7. clearys

clearys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Not that clued up on the hardware I'm afraid - I just bought the kit and learnt what I needed to about it to make it work.

! thing I can say is that I started out with a sony DAVS system but swapped it for a dedicated AMP and separate DVD cause the sound quality just wasn't quite up to what I wanted.

Check out the other current thread about the Toshiba Virgin which has more advice on what kit to buy

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59159

8. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dolby 5.1 is brilliant...

You'll need a DVD player or Sky Plus box - TV or video will only give you Dolby Surround which has mono rear channels.

DTS is even better - again you can only get it from DVDs with a suitable piece of kit - but not that many DVDs in the UK have it.

A sub woofer is just about essential to get the big movie sound, and a big screen TV with the sound turned off is the best way to watch unless it has a very good audio set up...

Enjoy - it can be awesome if properly set up!

9. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ok....

For surround sound you need
    1. Source
    2. Processor/Decoder
    3. Amplifier
    4. Speakers
      [/list=1]

SOURCE.
      This is where the sound originates from and will undoubtedly be your DVD player (although Sky+ has some limited offerings) or even PS2 or XBOX.
      The sound can come in several formats (im assuming you know about mono and stereo) of which the main offering is Dolby Digital 5.1 surround. The 5 refers to five completely seperate (discrete) channels (Centre, Left, Right, Surround Left, Surround Right) whilst the .1 is the low frewquency signal (bass) from the 5 routed to a dedicated bass (sub) speaker. There are many different flavours on the 5.1 theme (DTS, ES, EX, THX etc but for know just stick to the basic concept).

PROCESSOR/DECODER.
      The information about the sound is written in a format which needs to be translated into something which your speakers can handle. This translation can be handled by an on board decoder on the source although a better quality option is to get an amplifier with processing abilities. For the truely dedicated you can buy seperate processing unit but this will SERIOUSLY add to you budget. Some TV's also contain a DD decoder.

AMPLIFIER.
      This is the bit that takes the decoded signal and gives it the oomph to power your speakers. All amplifiers have their own tonal qualities and quirks and its very much down to personal tastes as to what you like. At the budget end of the market are 'all in one' units which contain DVD/DECODER/AMPLIFIER in one unit but your far better off to push your budget a little and get two seperate items to do these jobs. TV's contain a VERY BASIC amplifer and some TV's will let you output this to external speakers (rather than the internal ones to the TV) but the quality is VERY poor compared with any external AMP.

Speakers.
      After doing all the work of sourcing a signal, decoding it and amplifieing it you need speakers so that you can actually hear it. Again, all speakers have their own tonal qualities and also will have varying performance dependant on the amp they are paired up with.

To get the most out of you're system you'll need 6 speakers. 5 for the discrete channels and 1 larger bass speaker to give your the deep rumbly stuff.

IN BRIEF.
      Yes some tv's have DD 5.1 facilities and Speakers included (My Tosh 36zp18 for instance) but even the most rudementary home cinema kit will give you a better sound than your TV alone.

This is not meant to be exhaustive or anything more than slightly technical but it should at least hopefully give you something meaningful to start thinking about.

I'd also advise you go out and buy a copy of 'Home Cinema Choice' or at the least browse their web site as that will also help to give you a much clearer understanding on the basics of Home Cinema.

Regards