1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats a new InFocus 4805 worth?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DarrenB, Sep 15, 2005.

1. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Somebody i know has offered me the chance to buy a brand new Infocus 4805 - ho won it in a competition last week and doesn't want it.
    So, looking on the web i see its a pretty decent PJ, retailing for circa 700-800 quid depending on where you go.

So anyway, i offered him 400 quid, a fair price i thought....do you think this was okay or am i being miserley?

Only thing that puts me off this PJ is its native resolution, hence my offer - am i worrying about nothing?

Cheers.

2. simch

simch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will do well at 400 quid. They are great value at £800!

3. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - he wants 500 quid for it - i'm tempted to save the cash and buy something like a Z3 that gives me ture hi Def at 720.
    What do you think?

4. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    £500 is a good price for a new 4805. If you're not bothered by the rainbow effect produced by single chip DLP then you can't go far wrong.

One of my mates has a 4805 and another has just got himself a Z3. Both produce a great picture but for an extra £200 I'd buy the far more future proofed Z3. The Z3 picture in my opinion is sharper, has less screendoor and no chance of rainbows. However regarding contrast the 4805 will have a better ANSI contrast possibly giving a bit more depth to the picture than the Z3. (Difficult to judge contrast though as both mates have very different rooms)

I liked both the 4805 & Z3 but I'd go for the Z3 any day.

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    if u can get some warranty on it then its worth it if thats ur limit, if he cant give u any warranty then tell him £300......

heh

6. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He He - bought it for £350 - it's brand new, never used and come with full 2 yr warranty.
    Now we just need to get the new staircase in to the loft........get the carpenter...plasterer...electrician....new screen...hdmi dvd player....all before Xmas!

7. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Isn't there a risk getting a dead pixel with an LCD projector, that is reason enough to stick with the infocus projector, £350 is a steal! I am selling my h30 projector, any suggestions of what it might be worth?

8. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havent a clue - if i was you I'd post up a separate thread asking for opinions on its value....cheers.

9. Voo

Voo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the Z3 which Zag is referring to, which has 1 dead pixel. I'm projecting onto a 92 inch screen with a viewing distance of about 10 feet and saw no signs of the dead pixel. Unless you get up really close, it's virtually impossible to see the dead pixel at all. On high def projectors, the pixels are tiny and if my Z3 is anything to go by, I wouldn't worry too much about this issue unless your viewing distance is VERY short. I think you'd need a cluster of 2 or 3 dead pixels in the same area (highly improbable) for it to be a serious issue.