Whats a good value "older" remote off Ebay ie Pronto/Marantz etc.

paulr

I'm after an cheapish older remote off ebay. The most common models are

Pronto 890
Pronto 940
Marantz RC5200
Marantz RC5400

Any recommendations. Is the 940 still a good buy at £70 ish?

thanks
Paul.

Bimbeemer

Most def worth it,

I paid around £100 a year or so ago off ebay.

Just check to see what you get with - ie rechargeable battery / cradle / serial cable and software.

paulr

Most def worth it,

I paid around £100 a year or so ago off ebay.

Just check to see what you get with - ie rechargeable battery / cradle / serial cable and software.

Thats the 940 i guess. They do seem to go at a premium whereas Marantz versions can be had a lot cheaper. I saw a really good condition Marantz 5200 with all the accessories go for £60 recently and that is a newer model.

stoobie

Take a look at RemoteCentral.com they have tons on Prontos and Marantz.

The RC5400 is a "current" model that has recently been updated. If you can get one of those at a good price, that is the one to go for. The RC5200 is better than the 2 Prontos you mention because it has more hard buttons.

The RU890 & RU940 have equivalent Marantz models: -

RU890 = RC5000
RU940 = RC5000i (note the i)

The Marantz models are often a better bet because they all seem to come with the docking charger. As paulr says, check to see what you are getting. The software is not a problem because you can still download it from Philips or Marantz and the serial cable is also not too much of a problem either because you can make your own following the instructions on RemoteCentral.

All these remotes are serial except the RC5400 (same as the Pronto RU950/TSU3000) which is USB and far more reliable. The serial remotes are fine if you have a serial port on your PC. They can cause problems if you are trying to use a USB to serial converter (see RemoteCentral again!) but it is possible.

Keep away from the Marantz RC3200 or Pronto RU930, they are fairly cheap buy not as reliable/versatile!

Hope that helps

Stoobie

paulr

Thanks Stoobie.

The most important thing for me is "usability".Some get comments like "slow response" and "poor contrast".

Bimbeemer,whats the response time like for your 940?

stoobie

If you are going for usability then the RC5200 is much better than the RU890, RU940, and the Marantz RC5000s, (more hard buttons for a start!)

The RC5400 & RU950 are streets ahead and even better since the latest firmware release. Much better screens, better contrast and more hard buttons (very handy) also easier to program (I think) than the older ones and are USB. If you have the money I’d definitely go for either of these two. (Marantz will have a charger!)

I have owned each successive model and each is better than the last!

Stoobie

paulr

If you are going for usability then the RC5200 is much better than the RU890, RU940, and the Marantz RC5000s, (more hard buttons for a start!)

The RC5400 & RU950 are streets ahead and even better since the latest firmware release. Much better screens, better contrast and more hard buttons (very handy) also easier to program (I think) than the older ones and are USB. If you have the money I’d definitely go for either of these two. (Marantz will have a charger!)

I have owned each successive model and each is better than the last!

Stoobie

Do the newer ones like the 5200 and 950, have good response rates to commands. Secondly why are more hard buttons better?

You can also get a new Marantz 5200 here for £150.
http://www.froogle.prcdirect.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=RC5200
(but i have read a few reviews about poor contrast)

Paul.

stoobie

First off, for all these remotes I'll refer to Pronto as they all share similar hardware/software.

The RC5200 is not the same as the RU950 (that is the RC5400)

I have never had problems with the response time on the remotes (any of them) but then I don't know what you are comparing times to. All the codes I learn to the remote work just as fast as the original remote. It is faster in one way in that you only have to press one button on the Prontos to do something unlike the originals:- press, put down the remote, pick up the next remote press a button etc. All the actual codes can be sent for longer or shorter times by adjusting the IR length in the Pronto program.

All the Prontos have Vol+ Vol- Mute Chan+ Chan- hard buttons. Then on the older ones there are 2 buttons on the front, The newer ones have between 6 and 8 plus a 4way pad. The hard buttons are helpful to control items without having to look at the remote screen, especially as you get to learn where they are and you don't need to look. I found that you soon learn to make a layout that has the most popular macros assigned to hard buttons.

That you found price seems quite good for a "new" RC5200 (the RC5400 goes for around £350 - £400).

The contrast issue again depends on what you are comparing to. There are basically 3 versions of the Pronto style remotes. On the Prontos based around the old RC5200 (RU890, RU940, RC5000, RC5000i) you get a green screen with black (may be very, very dark green?) and 3 shades of “grey”. Unless you want to have really fancy designs for buttons, this works fine, especially if you stick to just black and mid grey. The back light makes it glow green and makes the buttons a little clearer. On the newer models based around the RC5400 (RU950) those have a lighter more turquoise colour and 16 shades from black to “white/grey”. The screen is definitely better and so is the backlight. Then you move onto the latest RC5400 and the RU960 which has an even better screen and better contrast. Finally you get the colour Prontos, and there are 3 versions of those too, with the screens getting better as they get newer.

The thing is, as far as the contrast goes. The old screens are just that – old screens and old technology. If money was not an issue you would go for the Pronto RU990 (Marantz RC9400) colour screen because you'd look at the other screens and think they are sh*t, but even the RU890 looks amazing to someone new to this! When I had my first Pronto RU940 last year it just looked amazing to me, but now I have the colour RU990 I can't think of going back!

Which ever you want and can afford is the way for YOU to go. You can always upgrade when you can afford better (and sell the old one to go twards the new). The contrast problems depend on what you are used to or have seen to compare!

Excuse the book I've just written:rolleyes:

Stoobie

Bimbeemer

If it's anything like the 940 you should just be able to bung 4 batteries in the back...

So you can just buy normal rechargeable batteries and just charge them up separately when needed.

also - check somewhere like letsautomate.com in case they have any docking stations knocking around.

btw, response times aren't mega fast but tbh it's not a big deal, it's a cpl of seconds.. and if you set up macro's to run one command after another...ie turn on dvd then turn on amp switch over tv, select inputs....etc...so all that for pressing one button it's a hardly a chore...:D

paulr

When you say response times aren't fast,do you mean the 950 or universal remotes in general?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom