Whats a good price for Canon 18-55 IS kit lens?

Ojustabo

Hi all.

Have been looking on ebay at Canon lenses. I have the 18-55 non IS kit lens, haven't had any real problems with it but am off on holiday soon and thought if I find one at a decent price, it might be worth me getting the IS version.

Anyone advise me on what sort of price I should be paying for one please?

thanks

Ojustabo

Thanks.

One I was watching on Ebay ended at £98.85 (inc P&P)

Bristol Cameras in the site you linked to, has a new one inc p&p for £94.

Just got to decide whether it's £94 well spent or whether I should stick with my non IS and put it towards something else instead.

jonnypb

the new kit lens with IS is suppose to be quite a bit better than the old one. you could sell your kit lens for 45-50 so in essence you'll only have to fork out £50

Ojustabo

Me again :hiya:

Looking at Ebay.

I might be able to stretch to the

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Total newbie here. Am off to the Disney and Universal parks soon. I suspect there will be a few shows in low light that I'm trying to capture.

The extra range on the 85 would be nice for zooming in, but for this holiday, would the f/3.5 lens with the shorter zoom be a better option? (I know nothing)

many thanks (400D)

senu

Distinguished Member
Me again :hiya:

Looking at Ebay.

I might be able to stretch to the

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Total newbie here. Am off to the Disney and Universal parks soon. I suspect there will be a few shows in low light that I'm trying to capture.

The extra range on the 85 would be nice for zooming in, but for this holiday, would the f/3.5 lens with the shorter zoom be a better option? (I know nothing)

many thanks (400D)
Which lens is it you are comparing with? And how much are you getting it for?

Zoom not withstanding, the IS is supposed to be able to give you 3 extra stops of extra handholding given that its max f stop is 5.6 towards its long end (Zoom) where you need it most

I have and use the Lens ( although I have better ones ). It really is a nice walkabout one and for a holiday such as you describe you have all the range covered
but
1)You may find the difference between 70 and 85 isnt that much but it comparing it with a 55mm, you do get extra usable Zoom
2)You may be best trying to avoid using it at 17mm ,It has marked barrel ( and pin cushion) distortion which can be corrected in DPP but is probably better avoided. It is most marked if you are taking architectural type pictures or those with many straight lines
3) it can be soft at the edges wide open especially at the wide angle . Centre sharpness is fine from 35-85. Best stick to max f 11-16

It has been slated for being poor VFM as it has comparably optically superior lenses which may cost less new but it is not ( as often decribed) a kit lens with IS (that is the new 18-55 IS which is said to be better optically .Ive never used it)
it is better than that IMHO
Relatively well built, Fast, quiet, Accurate AF, IS that works
Canon EF-S 17-85 mm F4-5.6 IS USM Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Canon EF-S 17-85/4-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

Hope this helps

Last edited:

senu

Distinguished Member
No worries . It boils down to
18-55:
Save a cool £50 and get it brand new
Possibly better optics + the above advantages
No IS advantage as both have it

Tough call .. I think the extra reach of the 55-85 is significant but at the expense of ??less Optical quality and more cost may be a trade off but there are users of the 17-85 who arent unhappy with it

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom