1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's a good Mission setup for AV ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ray, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

I'm seriously considering a Canton CD setup(100s,50,10s and AS22) from the Fatherland at a cost of about £600. Thing is I'd rather spend a bit less and I can't find much Canton stuff on fleabay. There is always tons of Mission kit on fleabay though but I'm thoroughly confused by all the different Mission speakers especially if you go back a few years.

Can anyone recommend a Mission set-up that will be equal or better than the Canton set-up so I can trawl through e-bay with a bit more confidence that I'm looking at matched speakers. I would like a couple of floorstanders but other than that I'm not fussed.

Also do speakers age much after the running in period ? They are mechanical after all so am I ok in going for speakers that are 4 years old say ?

Cheers

Ray :thumbsup:

2. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    If you can you should definitely go for this I've had them for about 4 years now and blow similar priced set-ups out of the water. The fronts and centre are also real wood veneer unlike mission's more recent 'cost-cutted' designs.

3. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for the link.

I'll do a bit more investigation into the various Missions then perhaps I can shortlist some option s here for people to shoot down (or not)

Thanks

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mission's 75 Freedom series was their best ever in every way. As Dean hints at, their new designs are frankly rubbish in comparison. The 75 blows the 77 into a cocked hat, to boot.

As such, they are in high demand though, so you'll have to be quick on the 2nd hand market.

I have and still do own a lot of Missions, and love their qualities - but if you don't have a powerful sub, I'd think twice about Missions for AV use...bass power, depth and impact just aren't their fortes (its bass is clean and deep for the cabinet size though - you just need a VERY powerful amp and loud listening volumes to get things rattling).

5. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  6. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    exactly!

that's a serious bargain - the cantons aren't even gonna come close in sheer quality. you could flog the centre, sub and a pair of 751s for £500 separately probably - and bag a free pair of speakers :D move quickly if you think you want it..

but whether the 'type' of sound is to your taste is a different matter, like i said. you definitely wont get a better all-mission or all-canton setup for the money. if you like things to crash and wallop though, im not sure the mission sub is up to the job - its very much an understated sub for music, really - but youre getting it for practically nothing at that price.

is the ebay seller anywhere near you? a visit and listen at his house today might be a good idea if he is.

7. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    A bargain you say ? Damn - now I've alerted everyone !

Unfortunately too far away from me to get a demo. I was wondering about the sub as technology moves on and the whole AV market has moved on so much in the past 5 years. Perhaps I could put a Velodyne into the mix.

Thanks for your thoughts.

8. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    What amp are you using? Does it have enough welly? Those Freedom speakers can be power-hungry little devils. ;)

9. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeh, that thought just crossed my mind too.

im no expert on AV receivers and the like, but I'd imagine one of those £1000ish RRP Denon or Pioneers would be a minimum requirement.

in stereo land, a pair of 751's would need £500 of integrated amp to drive them properly...

rayfin - just realised youre in west yorkshire, didnt see that before asking if you could visit ebay man, sorry! least we share the same county though :D

10. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Blimey -- £1000 ! Don't think I can stretch to that (or anywhere near).

I'm on the phone to AV Sales as I pen this to purchase a Velodyne sub :clap: so the Mission sub would be superfluous anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Ray

11. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, unless this new AV lark has changed the rules and everyone is massively underdriving their speakers, then a rough guide would be for the RRP of your receiver to match that of your speaker package (excluding sub).

so if youre gonna get a £500 receiver, that would mean a £500 RRP speaker package. that means cheap 'n cheerful speakers, no high-quality 2nd hand bargains: in Mission terms that used to be the 73 series, no idea what their modern version of that is.

i have to say, id personally go B&W DM600 series all the way in that case rather than Mission, especially for AV use...

12. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I totally agree with you M8,until recently I was using a pair of 773e's with my 75c and 77DS's. I bought a pair of M71i's from RS as a stop-gap as one of the bass drivers in the 773's started making cracking noises (amazingly I managed to buy a new driver from MISSION SPARES for a reasonable £35 inc delivery).
    The 773's are a bit "bass light" compared to the M71's, but the mid/high range of the 773's is simply fantastic,(buy a better sub for the low stuff as I did). Also as my local HI-FI dealer states the older mission range of speakers run rings around most of the new range now available.
    At the mo' the 773's are in storage awaiting whatever fate I decide for them (probably up for sale soon), as the 71's are doing a great job as stereo/fronts for now and have a better WAF :rolleyes: .
    Have a trawl round the classifieds on the forums or look to (f)lea-bay for some decent S/H kit.

Best of luck to ya,

Graham.

13. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Yeah i am pretty happy with the 77 series, can't really fault them for the price, except as mentioned a decent sub really complements them well. Another reason i like them so much is that they look classy and are not too obstrusive. The B&W600 series package is very good for AV use but I didn't like the DM603's treble for stereo only use which was harsh compared to the 773e's, especially with long listening sessions. This could just be a personal taste thing as I have never got on well with metal tweeters, including mission's original (non-freedom) 752 which i had for awhile. Best way is to obviously get a demo and decide, good hunting though!