What's a good cheap DVD player?

G

Glenn Keen

I'm thinking of getting a friend a DVD player for the Christmas present (generous I know! :) ), and I am wondering which is the best budget player to get? Sub £200.

Total DVD seam to rate the Hyundai DVD-360A, but I've never heard of Hyundai doing electrical equipment and am a little suspect.

Any suggestions or info would be realy helpful.

Many thanks,
Glenn.

Would the Toshiba 220e be a good budget buy?

Come on, you all have a vast amount of knowledge about these things, please share it with me!

i have a pioneer dv350 and it`s a great little player. will cost aroung £160.

Originally posted by Glenn Keen
Would the Toshiba 220e be a good budget buy?
Yes.

(well, some find the mp3 feature could be done better - but at this price, maybe not. imo)

Originally posted by alan8477
Adox, do you know whether it plays DVD+RW discs?

had a look at the specs and it says "supports dvd+rw(recorded in video) "
hope that helps.

one thing that might be of concern is that it has no optical out, only electrical. if you want both the next model up is the 454 which has both and is only slightly more expensive.

hope that helps.

Get the Toshiba SD-420. It looks great, and plays great.

it comes with 3 free dvds too !

got mine for £150 M/R

one of the most versitile players for VCDs ive ever used!

Originally posted by adox
i have a pioneer dv350 and it`s a great little player. will cost aroung £160.

Fantastic machine. Had mine a month now and it's been like being introduced to DVD all over again. No complaints whatsoever and has played everything I've thrown at it. Fabulous picture, brilliant sound, and £120 delivered from Amazon. My 3 free disks turned up last week too, double bargain.....

For a really cheap player, I'd recommend the LG 5253.

I bought one for my Dad for Xmas at the weekend from Currys for £80. There's a fimware hack to make it multi region here that works a treat.

I played a few disks on it and the picture is very good (not as good as my pioneer 656 but what can you expect). Sounded fine streaming the audio to my 630 AV Amp so all in all it's a bit of a corker.

Downsides no front panel display, tacky remote, no vcd support, replace the supplied scart - it's awful.

Thanks for all the advice.

I ended up getting a multiregion version of the Toshiba 220e.

Great little player and should keep him happy for a while!:)

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas.

Thanks,
Glenn.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom