1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's a good buy (UK) please?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chrisp, Jan 9, 2002.

1. chrisp

chrisp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Put this question on the general hardware topic but think it might be more appropriate to here.

Can anyone give me advice on a good, reliable budget priced multi-region DVD that also supports RCE?

I've had a Cyberhome AD-L528, well three actually, and I've now decided to chop it as the latest is also playing up. I'm also fed up with subtitles that won't go away.

I would prefer black finish if possible.

Any info would be appreciated such as ease of setting multi-region, known issues, price and possible retailers.

Thanks

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    The Dansai 852 from Tesco is getting some fairly good press on another forum. I bought one on a whim (£99.49) a week or so ago (already have a Pioneer 737). What I can tell you is:

1) It looks and feels fairly flimsy. It is silver.
    2) It plays all region discs (including known RCE) without problem after a few key presses on the remote to bypass region coding.
    3) Macrovision can be disabled just as easily
    4) If set to "PAL" it outputs a fully converted PAL/625/50 signal, not pseudo pal.
    5) On NTSC discs, viewed as NTSC, motion judder is barely evident
    6) Layer changes and seamless branching are invisible
    7) SVideo output is comparable to the Pioneer
    8) DD5.1 output via optical is fine
    9) It will play CDRs and CDRWs. It will play MP3s. It will play SVCDs, VCDs and - obviously - DVDs.
    10) The transport mechanism makes a slight whining noise when in use.
    11) Many discs come up with subtitles on - need to manually switch off.
    12) It has options for RGB and Component outputs via the Scart connector

I have no idea how long it will last, but I gather that Tesco's after sales service is very good (not had to try it yet). They even quote a telephone helpline number on the player's startup screen.

3. chrisp

chrisp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Nigel.

Taken a look at the tesco site but can't find it so have emailed their Customer Service.

Also tried a general search but no joy. Do you know of any other retailers?

Also do you know the links on the forums where i can read up?

Thanks again

4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    The Dansai brand is unique to Tesco. They sell these players in their supermarkets, but they can sell out quickly so best to check before travelling. They will reserve you one if they have stock.

Take a look in www.thedvdforums.com for more user info, but you'll have to search manually - that forum's search engine doesn't work.

It may be that the same player is available with other brand names from elsewhere, but, as I said before, I gather Tesco's after sales service (if you have problems) is much better than most.

5. TonyOfBrum

TonyOfBrum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you're particularly image-conscious, the Yelo 800DVD is an absolute steal.

Currently £149.99 at Amazon.co.uk (down from £199.99) or £179.99 direct from Kiiro.co.uk.

Multi-region, RCE compatible. Most come already pre-set on multi-region. Those that aren't can be changed via the on-screen menu, which gives you the option of 7 settings - regions 1 to 6 or multi. Literally takes seconds. Mine took longer to unwrap than it did to set up.

Picture is very good, sound is excellent.

And it comes in black.

6. chrisp

chrisp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tony

Had a look at the Yelo and it seems to fit the bill especially being RCE compatible, although it doesn't say that on the Technical Spec.

The user reviews seem quite positive. Have to admit after the Cyberhome I'm a bit sceptical of "Professional" reviews as most of the problems with the CH were never mentioned in the reviews I read especially the subtitle issue.

Have you had any problems with subtitles?

Nigel

Thanks. Not had repsonse yet from Tesco. Will search the forum you mentioned for more info.

7. chrisp

chrisp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel

Just tried to access the forum you mentioned but it won't let me in unless I'm registered and registration seems to have been suspended at the moment.

8. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you have to enter the remote hack on the Dansai every time you want to watch a R1 disc or do you do it "just the once" and it's done, even after putting it in standby and powering it back up?...:confused:

9. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Just once. Actually, it has the options in the factory menu for each region 1 thru 8 (yes, 8) and "bypass". Set it to bypass and I can vouch for its ability to play known RCE titles no problem.

However, the ability to set a specific region means that, in all probability, even if the studios manage to come up with an even more secure RCE (Super RCE?) in the future, you'll still be able to watch.

The same menu has macrovision off in it.

Whichever setting you choose is retained after power off either via standby or fully disconnected.

chrisp - sorry I didn't know about registration on "the other" forum. To be honest, I doubt that you will learn much more from it anyway.

10. chrisp

chrisp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tony & others

Been reading the reviews on the Yelo which all seem positive.

Also been looking at the Kiiro site www.keiiro.co.uk and see they have a new dvd play the 838d Midi DVD Player. The spec on that looks very impressive and the reviews on amazon.co rate it highly.

Not had any reply from Tesco so at the moment it's a straight choice between the Yelo and the 838d. The latter is available direct from Keiiro at £159.99 incl VAT & delivery.

Been to a couple of retailers this morning but nothing they can offer gets anywhere near the spec of either machine.

Hopefully whichever I choose will have less problems than the Cyberhome but fingers crossed as some people rate the Cyberhome very highly. No doubt they were lucky to get a good 'un.

11. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Have you tried walking into (or calling) one of their shops?

12. chrisp

chrisp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ngel

Friend of mine called in at the local Tesco and they hadn't any stock and the person she spoke to couldn't give her any info on their future stock situation.

I sent the enquiry to Customer Service as the web site doesn't list the machine.

13. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the info Nigel...

Cheers M8 :)

14. TonyOfBrum

TonyOfBrum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problems with subtitles on the Yelo.

Only problem with the Yelo is poorly written instructions, but it's so simple to set up (literally plug it in and play) that even I could do it.

The Kiiro's magazine reviews are pretty average but it seems to be a hit with those that have bought it.

15. mozz

mozz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi can any of you guys tell me if the yelo dvd can output ntsc discs in to pal 50 like the samsung

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    For not a great deal more you can get a "non Chinese" player. Avland (and probably others) are selling the Pioneer 444 for £190 which is far superior.

I have the 555 which is a little more expensive and region changing is all automatic so you just stick the disc in and away you go.

17. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You don't even need to spend more than that, if you only need a DVD player and none of the CD-R, CD-RW, VCD, MP3 stuff too... then I recommend the Samsung M105, fully modded from £149 from Multiregion Magic. Excellent player, the mod has taken every disc, RCE or otherwise, that has been thrown at it. Great little machine.

18. mozz

mozz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i would prefer a named brand but what machine would you recommend that can play back a ntsc disc in pal50 the machine i get as got to be able to do this i aint that bothered about mp3 and cdr playback i have got the sammy 709 and 511 at the moment but there starting to p*ss me of with the faults that keep cropping up :confused:

19. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hiya, do any of you know if the Dansai or the Yelo, can convert NTSC to Pal for backup of the kids REgion 1s dvd to video so they can watch them in their room.

Cheers

TAZ69

20. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would avoid any 'Chinese style' DVD player sold in any Supermarket. Tesco stopped sellin the Wharfdale' due to disc problems. No doubt they will stop selling the next batch of chinese players who's heavily encoded disc such as A.I will cause problems. As Ian J says stick to a brand name. Ever the biggest brand names are coming down in price. As far as the cyberhome player is concerned, the review product may be a prototype so didnt display the problems you have. Most problems occur in mass production.

21. dtsrules

dtsrules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heres my thoughts on 2 of the players mentioned

1) Dansai

Garbage machine, i know of 7 now that have been returned to tesco and 3 of those where mine. Picture freezing was the worst problem with the player.

2) Yelo

They must have changed something on this machine because i bought one after reading the review in totaldvd. This player threw subtitles up after the layer change, and it got that hot that you could fry an egg on the lid. I got a replacement and that one was just as bad.

Just my two pennerth :)

22. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused:

Why would anyone buy a Yelo for £150 when you can get a Tosh 210 multi-mod RCE compat brand new for less??

Laurel

23. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
  24. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the review, but they also think the Sony FQ75 is a good TV with no problems.

Think I'll trust my own judgement on kit not Home Enterntainment magazine.

I suppose it does entertain me - but in a different way. :D

Laurel

25. RossG

RossG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just went through 3 Yelo DVD players, all of them crashed when you flipped through the audio tracks (if the audio output was set to SPDIF/RAW) and the last displayed subtitles as default. :(

I got my money back and spent an extra 100 quid on a Tosh510 and the difference was like the proverbial chalk and cheese. I'll never buy a no name brand again!

26. Kam the Man

Kam the Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yelo 800 DVD, BUY IT.

Truely awesome machine for the money. I got mine for 180 and it's down to 150 for now. Yelo support is cool, after mine *cough* took a tumble they swapped it without any trouble.

Two of my mates have bought them as well and are well impressed. It has no trouble playing most *cough* blank DVD's.

Simple to operate, RCE and M/R, the ONLY complaint I have is an annoying 'ping' sound when u turn on or eject a DVD!

Go for it, Kam.

ps. with regards to above post, very strange to have that problem, just checked mine and I use those settings. Mine is 2 years old now and no sound problems. So keep that in mind.

27. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chrisp

Unfortunatley, I have to say that a friend of mine bought a Yelo machine not too long ago and it started playing up straight out of the box. :(

It was replaced with a minimum of fuss :), however, within about two weeks player started falling over on a regular basis. this was using only R2 shoop bought discs.

You pays yer money and yer takes yer chances!!:( :(

I recently bought a Tosh 220 from RS for £120, and it has played everything I have thrown at it with no problems (R1,2,4 DVD's, CD-A, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3)

7ThGuest :)