Question What's a fair replacement of my 65KS8000?

Tyler Durden

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 65KS8000 was damaged and I think I will be offered a replacement by Currys Knowhow.
What should I expect to receive as a fair replacement?

TIA

Q80 or Q85.
Thanks for the input.
I expect them to pitch lower and offer a Q60.
What arguments can I have ready?
I've been out of the TV buying game for a while so I'm not up to speed. Thanks

damaged by them , then you should expect an equivalent model as said already , well that's what I would be pushing very strongly for ......

Thanks for the input.
I expect them to pitch lower and offer a Q60.
What arguments can I have ready?
I've been out of the TV buying game for a while so I'm not up to speed. Thanks

It’s not as bright; has no local dimming; is not UHD Premium Certified; lacks one connect box. Lacks good anti reflection filter.

The Q70 is similar to your KS, but lacks the good anti reflection filter.

damaged by them , then you should expect an equivalent model as said already , well that's what I would be pushing very strongly for ......
Damaged by me unfortunately, but covered by my plan. I need to understand why the Q60 (for example) shouldn't be considered an equivalent model.

It’s not as bright; has no local dimming; is not UHD Premium Certified; lacks one connect box. Lacks good anti reflection filter.

The Q70 is similar to your KS, but lacks the good anti reflection filter.

Good information. Thanks.
I have noticed that none of the new Samsungs have a Freeview Tuner. The KS8000 has both Freeview and Satellite. So I could reject all offers of Samsungs due to this. However that opens up a minefield of finding an equivalent model by a different brand!

In addition to the above the Q60 and Q70 are both black, whereas the Q80 and Q85 are silver. The KS8000 is silver.

what does the cover actually cover though , new for old or what ?

Good information. Thanks.
I have noticed that none of the new Samsungs have a Freeview Tuner. The KS8000 has both Freeview and Satellite. So I could reject all offers of Samsungs due to this. However that opens up a minefield of finding an equivalent model by a different brand!

All Samsung models have Freeview, they just lack Freeview Play - but they have individual apps for catchup services.

All Samsung models have Freeview, they just lack Freeview Play - but they have individual apps for catchup services.
Hmm. They don't list that in the specs on the Currys website. They list TV Plus and Twin Freesat HD.

from currys website if you haven't seen it already .....

Product replacement
If we cannot repair your Product you will be given a voucher to obtain a replacement in one of our stores. The value will be based on an equivalent or similar specification product up to a maximum of your original Product purchase price. In some instances, at our discretion a replacement product may be given instead of a voucher. Apple iPads will be replaced by an Apple authorised replacement product.

from currys website if you haven't seen it already .....

Product replacement
If we cannot repair your Product you will be given a voucher to obtain a replacement in one of our stores. The value will be based on an equivalent or similar specification product up to a maximum of your original Product purchase price. In some instances, at our discretion a replacement product may be given instead of a voucher. Apple iPads will be replaced by an Apple authorised replacement product.

Yes. Like I said, new for old. My original price was £2200.

From what I recall, the KS8000 was the 2nd tier 'premium' screen at the time*, so I wouldn't expect anything less than 2nd tier new. So Q85 or 80.

*although in the US, the KS8000 was equivalent to the KS7000 over here, so 3rd tier...

From what I recall, the KS8000 was the 2nd tier 'premium' screen at the time*, so I wouldn't expect anything less than 2nd tier new. So Q85 or 80.

*although in the US, the KS8000 was equivalent to the KS7000 over here, so 3rd tier...
I'm in the UK.

Hmm. They don't list that in the specs on the Currys website. They list TV Plus and Twin Freesat HD.

TV plus feeds come from Freeview. I can get Freeview on my QLED - I don’t use it as got Sky but used it previously.

I'd be astonished if Curry's offer you a Q80 or above, they'll do their best to make the Q60 look like an equivalent of the KS8000 and insist that QLED is superior than the LCD you had previously.

Keep us updated.

It was only collected yesterday guys. Probably won't know for 2 weeks or more.

I'd be astonished if Curry's offer you a Q80 or above, they'll do their best to make the Q60 look like an equivalent of the KS8000 and insist that QLED is superior than the LCD you had previously.

Keep us updated.
The KS8000 is a Quantum Dot LED. Isn't that what QLED stands for?

For my JS9000 I managed to wrangle a Q85 out of Samsung so try your hardest and accept nothing less than a 2019 mode with a one connect box.

For my JS9000 I managed to wrangle a Q85 out of Samsung so try your hardest and accept nothing less than a 2019 mode with a one connect box.
Ahhh, the One Connect box. That could be the unique feature I was looking for! Does it only come with the higher models then?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom