Whats 1:1?

stuart1976

:confused:

I've seen it mentioned on some other threads but not sure what it actually means.

Sorry for being a total noob:eek:

cobbler

If it's 1:1 pixel mapping then it means, for example, a 1080p signal is displayed 1:1 on a 1080p screen at its native resolution without any scaling (for every pixel available there is a corresponding piece of data/picture to display there). This results in a sharper picture.

It's the same sort of thing with a PC monitor, feed a monitor with a resolution of 1600 by 1200 pixels a 1280 by 1024 signal and you get blurred text / icons (as it is scaled/stretched to fit), feed it its native resolution of 1600 by 1200 and you get nice sharp text, etc.

stuart1976

If it's 1:1 pixel mapping then it means, for example, a 1080p signal is displayed 1:1 on a 1080p screen at its native resolution without any scaling (for every pixel available there is a corresponding piece of data/picture to display there). This results in a sharper picture.

It's the same sort of thing with a PC monitor, feed a monitor with a resolution of 1600 by 1200 pixels a 1280 by 1024 signal and you get blurred text / icons (as it is scaled/stretched to fit), feed it its native resolution of 1600 by 1200 and you get nice sharp text, etc.

LOL...sorry should have explained it a bit more. I know what 1:1 is on HDTV's.

I'm referring to BD and HD-DVDs. I've seen something mentioned about versions 1:1 for the discs and was wondering what is was.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
On HD DVD you can have PinP (Picture in Picture) extras. Like audio commentaries, playing in a little box while you watch the film.

Blu-ray players are all currently specification 1.0 and can't do this.

After the 31st of October, no new Blu-ray Disc player can be released that isn't 1.1 compliant.

In other words, BD can't currently do Picture in Picture. When a 1.1 compliant machine arrives it will be able to.

As long as you have a disc with 1.1 extras on it, of course.

Steve W

stuart1976

On HD DVD you can have PinP (Picture in Picture) extras. Like audio commentaries, playing in a little box while you watch the film.

Blu-ray players are all currently specification 1.0 and can't do this.

After the 31st of October, no new Blu-ray Disc player can be released that isn't 1.1 compliant.

In other words, BD can't currently do Picture in Picture. When a 1.1 compliant machine arrives it will be able to.

As long as you have a disc with 1.1 extras on it, of course.

Steve W

Cool, THANX.:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom