Whatmough synergy3S sub?

Zerofox0070

Novice Member
Hi everyone(I have just joined this forum btw) has anyone heard of the Aussie brand whatmough they have won many awards on most of there home cinema products (like the whatmough impulse sub I think) has anyone heard of the synergy3S sub if so would you recommend specs are 200W amp idk if that’s RMS or PEAK a 10 inch driver/woofer celious fibre cone a 3 inch voice coil and 36mm(1.5 inches) of linear excursion/travel whatmough says this 10 inch driver weighs over 10kg and is capable of more output than most 12 inch subs idk if that’s true or not anyway has anyone heard of whatmough or this sub specifically? If it’s good I may upgrade from my kef psw2500 sub!!.

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone(I have just joined this forum btw) has anyone heard of the Aussie brand whatmough they have won many awards on most of there home cinema products (like the whatmough impulse sub I think) has anyone heard of the synergy3S sub if so would you recommend specs are 200W amp idk if that’s RMS or PEAK a 10 inch driver/woofer celious fibre cone a 3 inch voice coil and 36mm(1.5 inches) of linear excursion/travel whatmough says this 10 inch driver weighs over 10kg and is capable of more output than most 12 inch subs idk if that’s true or not anyway has anyone heard of whatmough or this sub specifically? If it’s good I may upgrade from my kef psw2500 sub!!.
A very quick google search reveals that it's frequency response is 22Hz - 80Hz +/- 3dB which could be a major issue.

Zerofox0070

Novice Member
That is very true mate frequency’s could overlap but my good old uncle has one that old still good at max volume the output and frequency’s very deep and loud but with 200 watts on board I don’t think it would stretch far in terms of movie watching (home cinema/theater) but with that 1/2 inches of excursion the output would be great and the in his living room the sub sounds very depp for it’s size and power!

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
Depending on what speakers it's being matched with and if it was cheap enough, it might be worth trying it if you have the opportunity, don't suppose you'll know until you actually try it in your environment as specs can be very deceptive anyway.

Zerofox0070

Novice Member
I agree it’s common for manafactures to inflate the specs to make it sound good when it might not be but the price of this thing is $1899 AUD excluding tax so that’s the the major problem here my KEF psw2500 only retails for £349 so that’s a hefty price…

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
Any particular reason you're looking at such a small form factor Sub?
Plenty of other "life style" subs available, the recently launched SVS SB Micro 3000 or the KEF KC62 as an example, also Sunfire always springs to mind when i think of small powerful subs.

Zerofox0070

Novice Member
Well it’s really that I have got a limited space I’m using all my equipment in my master bedroom right now as my living room is being painted and new carpet is being installed so a small powerful sub is something that I would want for crazy output out a small box and oh yes I have heard of sunfire subs specifically the hrs 8 and 12 subs and the svs 3000 micro seems like a good pick and kefs new kc62 gets all the sparkling reviews so which one would you pick one of sunfires 8 and 12 inch subs the kc62 or the 3000 micro or the whatmough sub? They all seem like a small stick of dynamite!

Conrad

Would you consider used? Something like a Velodyne DD12+ would rival most of those mentioned.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Well it’s really that I have got a limited space I’m using all my equipment in my master bedroom right now as my living room is being painted and new carpet is being installed so a small powerful sub is something that I would want for crazy output out a small box and oh yes I have heard of sunfire subs specifically the hrs 8 and 12 subs and the svs 3000 micro seems like a good pick and kefs new kc62 gets all the sparkling reviews so which one would you pick one of sunfires 8 and 12 inch subs the kc62 or the 3000 micro or the whatmough sub? They all seem like a small stick of dynamite!

Sunfire is bit questionable these days bang for buck wise. Even the XTEQ12 (1600£) wasn´t match for older SVS SB2000 when performance was compared and now you can get the SB2000 Pro model about 900£ which is even better. Not sure would it fit for you?

There is comparisons for KC62 and 3000 Micro. The latter pulling ahead with movies and price wise SVS is winner too as you typically get -10% from them so about 880£ vs. Kef at 1500£. Some issues mentioned in the Kef KC62 owners thread and 2 year warranty (?) to 5years of SVS. I think the decision should be clear between these two unless size/looks weights more.
Would you consider used? Something like a Velodyne DD12+ would rival most of those mentioned.

Expensive to repair if something happens due to being premium brand. AVSForum "Velodyne support thread" seems full of issues with DD/DD+ models.

Zerofox0070

Novice Member
I agree the sb2000 pro is nice but would you recommend the sb3000 would it be a big upgrade from my kef psw 2500 and how Would the sb3000 compare to the whatmough sub and the kc62 and sunfire also the velodyne models could be a problem i brought it used I know velodyne is a good manafacture but with a premium product comes premium parts and with the cost of said parts you might as well buy a new sub as it would probably cost near enough the same!

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
I must admit i'm a little confused as to what exactly you are looking for or want ....... or don't you know?
You were looking at micro Subs, which is why i suggested what i did!

If you are looking for a quality replacement/upgrade over what you have already got and size isn't the deciding factor ....... using an old motoring analogy "There's no substitute for cubic capacity" pretty much the same goes for Subs. A Sub should be a long term consideration as is arguably the most important/difficult speaker to integrate into a system and if done properly, will make a massive difference/improvement.

You previously mentioned that this was for the bedroom, whilst your living room was being painted/carpeted. So the assumption is that you intend to use it in the living room once that is finished? I would therefore take the size of the space you want to fill into consideration, room size and shape and also construction are a big factor, you may find that dual Subs is the way to go, but the correct placement/positioning in the room in comparison with your MLP will have the biggest affect on how it sounds within your space.

So, what is it that you are looking for, what do you want to achieve and what limitations are there on what you decide to get?

We might then be able to give you more meaningful suggestions?

Also once you've made up your mind, or at least got a short list, try reaching out to dealers who stock what you're interested in, you may find that you can get a "Home Trial/Demo Unit" to test in your space.

Zerofox0070

Novice Member
Well I do have a short list of potential long term subs I could squeeze in for the moment in the bedroom or just keep it in the box until the living room is finished so… here is the contenders first the svs pb4000 the second klipsch spl 150 the third whatmough impact 3 (band pass port design box) 4th kef kube 12 and that’s it!! So what one would you choose?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Well I do have a short list of potential long term subs I could squeeze in for the moment in the bedroom or just keep it in the box until the living room is finished so… here is the contenders first the svs pb4000 the second klipsch spl 150 the third whatmough impact 3 (band pass port design box) 4th kef kube 12 and that’s it!! So what one would you choose?

I`m confused after you mentioned PB4000. You were thinking the small shoe box sized KC62 earlier and now washing machine sized PB4000? Why would you consider so tiny sub if you can fit something like the PB? o_O

Dimensions of the living room?

Zerofox0070

Novice Member
I can’t give the exact dimensions right now but here is my estimate about 20 meters wide 15 meters high (floor to ceiling) and that’s probably near the correct figures but one of the reasons why I would want a small sub is because the bedroom i store my gear in right now is very small and the carpet is still being installed. But now I think about it I could buy a big sub preferably ported box keep it in the box (unopened and) then install it in the living room! Have you got a suggestions? For any good subs that compare to the pb4000 or similar subs to that?Thanks guys!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I can’t give the exact dimensions right now but here is my estimate about 20 meters wide 15 meters high (floor to ceiling) and that’s probably near the correct figures but one of the reasons why I would want a small sub is because the bedroom i store my gear in right now is very small and the carpet is still being installed. But now I think about it I could buy a big sub preferably ported box keep it in the box (unopened and) then install it in the living room! Have you got a suggestions? For any good subs that compare to the pb4000 or similar subs to that?Thanks guys!

You are talking about some massive open plan room. The height must be typo. Any of the small subs you mentioned would go waste in the living room. Buy the sub(s) later when the room is finished unless there is some superb deal to be made before that.

Do you live in UK (as you spoke of AUD$) and what is the max budget?

Zerofox0070

Novice Member
Yep I live in the UK mate my max budget is about £5000 for a new crazy sub like the pb4000 I’m going to forget about any micro subs and buy a new good high output sub soon when the room is finished! Have you got any suggestions?

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
If your room is anywhere near the size you've stated your going to need more than one sub!

When you get chance give us accurate dimensions and a sketch up of the actual floor plan, that will be a big help.

Couple of very nice Paradigm signature Sub 1's for sale here For Sale - 2X PARADIGM SIGNATURE SUB 1 SUBWOOFERS

Zerofox0070

Novice Member
I agree 2 subs may help out even out the frequency response and enhance the output potential in my kind of room but there is one slight problem I unfortunately live in a rented flat on top of a cafe for the time being so I don’t have access to the floor plans so… I will check those paradigm subs out mate

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
I agree 2 subs may help out even out the frequency response and enhance the output potential in my kind of room but there is one slight problem I unfortunately live in a rented flat on top of a cafe for the time being so I don’t have access to the floor plans so… I will check those paradigm subs out mate
I didn't mean a proper floor plan, just do a sketch up so we have an idea of shape etc ....

Must be one massive flat given the size of the living room, i also live in a flat, but my room is only
5 x 5 mtrs and i have dual sealed 18" subs.

Zerofox0070

Novice Member
Well that must give your living room a workout I could probably come up with a rough sketch of it but to be honest the flat I’m living in has a fairly big bedroom (the one I’m storing my home theater equipment in) a tiny bedroom and very tiny kitchen and then a big living room and my neighbours hate me and probably the last tenants so… I will come up with a sketch for you all soon!

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom