Quantcast

Whatever Happened to The Dolby Digital Trailers?

Kevo

Whatever happened to the Dolby Digital trailers at teh beginning of a film (cinema and DVD). There have been various ones over the years......helicopter, Aztec, Egyptian, Rain etc.

Wonder why they don't use them anymore? licensing costs? Too patronising maybe?

PoochJD

Kevo,

There are two reasons I think that the Dolby Digital trailers are no longer used:

1) With so many films being available in different sound tracks (e.g. Dolby Digital, Dolby Surround, DTS, TruSurround, et al), and so many cinemas all using differing sound systems, that there's no guarantee a particular film will be shown with a particular soundtrack.

2) I think that most people simply don't care what format the film is being played (or released onto DVD) in, and as such, Dolby are clearly deciding that it isn't worth including their idents at the beginning of movies. However, many DVD's do still include them, especially Region 1 titles.

Lastly, it should be mentioned that cinemas are legally required to show all movies with the BBFC certificate at the beginning, but it is common for projectionists to slice this off, as well as any unnecessary logos, sound format trailers, or picture format trailers from the start of films, to reduce the running time of the movie, and also so that more adverts can be put-in with the films instead at the beginning! :eek: :thumbsdow Stupid, but true.

Pooch

chino112

Novice Member
Lastly, it should be mentioned that cinemas are legally required to show all movies with the BBFC certificate at the beginning, but it is common for projectionists to slice this off, as well as any unnecessary logos, sound format trailers, or picture format trailers from the start of films, to reduce the running time of the movie, and also so that more adverts can be put-in with the films instead at the beginning! :eek: :thumbsdow Stupid, but true.
Pooch
They usually have a catch-all logo saying all trailers are appropriate for the film. That way they can save time and put in more adverts.

figrin_dan

DD has been available at home cinemas for over 13 years now, perhaps it isn't that exciting anymore.

stevedster

Novice Member
I always think it adds to the movie at the start to see it tho. Also the DTS ones when you change the setting.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Good riddance to bad rubbish. If we can just get rid of the anti piracy ads, film trailers, animated menus, copyright warnings, etc so we can just get to the film we bought the disc to watch.

Cheers
Bri

Lee

I think the cow one is excellent, haven't seen it on many films though. Agree about all the other trailers, especially the ones you can't skip.

brian s

Distinguished Member
I think the cow one is excellent, haven't seen it on many films though. Agree about all the other trailers, especially the ones you can't skip.
Don't remember the cow one but glad you dislike the extra stuff in general

Best wishes
Bri

figrin_dan

I think the cow one is excellent.
Do you mean the Pixar THX ad, that's ok. In fact the dts and THX ads are good, all the others can go!

PoochJD

Hi,

I, too, enjoy the various DD and DTS (or other audio) logos at the start of movies. I also love the Far Eastern movie companies' logos. I don't know why, but Japan, Hong Kong and China always seem to have loads of film logo's and company name promos at the start of their movies, but there always great fun to view. Not as bland as some of the British and US ones you get. ;)

However, whilst I don't object to all the copyright notices, warnings about piracy, etc, being included on a DVD, I do feel that these should be skippable using the Menu or Next Chapter buttons on our DVD remote controls. At least, those of us who don't want to see them for the umpteenth trillionth time, don't need to endure it yet again, when we've just shelled out hard-earned money on a DVD from an online or high-street store. :lesson:

Pooch

Marv

There seemed to be a fad a few years back with everyone wanting the DTS, Dolby and THX trailers and trying source the demo dvds of ebay which went for stupid prices sometime. I think were so used to have dts and dolby tracks on 98% of dvds these days that theres less need to market them. I used to be into collecting the demo dvds, I've got the THX Ultimate demo dvd which at a time as the Holy grail, Pod Race race in DTS-ES, nearly all the thx trailers in dts es and dd ex and aload of other stuff. Dolby used to send me there latest demo dvds once a year in the post for free aswell, those were the days.