1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whatever happened to DiLA

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by uncle eric, Dec 9, 2001.

1. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The single lense device with possibly the most promise seems to have almost sunk without trace.

When JVC's DiLA was introduced to the markets a few years back many people saw this as the technology to finally topple CRTs superiority as THE benchmark display device.
    DiLA chips were capable of displaying 2048 x 1536 pixels with a contrast ratio actually approaching CRT levels.

This pixel resolution meant a total of nearly 4 million R, G, and B dots on a chip measuring only 1.22 inches square.
    Unlike CRT projectors, DiLA was able to deliver superbly defined images from corner to corner without the susceptibility of RGB registration errors and had great success in being able to acheive a high resolution image without colour smear or image blur.

For those that dont know, DiLA technology involves an array of LCD pixels on a chip. Instead of shining light through them as in a traditional 'transmissive' LCD projector, light is reflected FROM them.
    The light from the (usually a mercury 200W) lamp passes through a hologram colour filter (no spinning colour wheels as in DLP, so no rainbow effect ), which splits up into its Red, Green and Blue components for each pixel.
    The reflected light is then focused with a lense and projected on a screen. As a result just over 90% of the light from the lamp actually reaches the screen, as opposed to traditional LCD projectors which only allow around 50% of the lamps light to hit the screen.
    Also, DiLA liquid crystals are vertically oriented so that they are parrellel to the reflected light beam. This more effectively blocks the light when a pixel is turned "off", thereby producing superior blacks and better contrast than both DLP and LCD.

Price seems to have been the main cause of the flop as JVC were iniatially asking around 15,000 dollars a pop for these devices.
    For many people this was too near CRT pricing to which they eventually succumbed leaving the DiLA projectors somewhere in halfway house between CRT's and the other (cheaper) single lense devices DLP and LCD.

JVC are currently having another go at the U.S. market by introducing large rear projection sets armed with this great technology but at a cost of 13,000 dollars for a TV set they could be on the wrong track once again.

Eric

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    hitachi have one in the offing that may have the potential to be great but actual production models have yet to appear. sub 5K price tag. Some people have berated pre production prototypes others have raved... wait and see

Christie are launching a new unit ( vivid red) soon based on a very similar engine. Initial showings have been very very positive.

specs indicate near CRT performance but we'll have to see what they can do in the real world.

Technically I suspect LCOS could be the CRT killer.

My wife certainly hopes so!

3. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I would buy a JVC G11 or G15 tomorrow if I had the cash for a new one or found a second hand one for sale.

I want the resolution and throw distance.

Just the price stops people buying.

XGA LCD and DLP projectors are now available for a fraction of the cost of an SXGA DILA, but the DILA is still sold for the high price :(

The lamps also cost about twice the price of most other projectors.

A nice little G11 review here

G15 review here

The long throw helps with neat installs, look at Mark Hunters(The Dilard guy) site here, an excellent through the wall install !

I want one!

Mark G.

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I think Lcos has been slow to take of due to the patent held by JVC with their D-ila version.

Now the gloves are off(relaxed patent/licence), more manufacturers will start coming out with there own models.

This will mean cheaper and hopefully superior spec models coming out.

I hope they manage to exceed the performance of CRTs, as we will all benefit.

Three issues they will have to address are:-

1 Bulb cost and life.
    2 Fan noise.
    3 Near total black level.

Crack that, and put my name down for one!

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You only have to look at the problems that DLP has had over the years to see how long it takes for any manufactuere to mature a technology.

The biggest problem with reflective LCD projecors in the past had been fan noise and purity. there have been a lot of advances recently. I would watch this camp very carfully. A company like JVC won't drop this technology lightly.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Eric,

I'm sure you know that this technology has actually been around for ages. Hughes did the deal with JVC and as Fualbeer points out their licence is over and it's going to be open season on LCOS technolgy....Far from going away I think 2002 is going to see lots of these things.

Christie with Vivid Red'
    TAW with their fanless D'ila (remeber they have Mark Rejon on board...mister pixel perfection for D'ila)
    Runco are about to launch their own D'ila and I don't think it's a re-badge of a JVC...
    JVC themselves are launching their G15Home Theater model
    Hitatchi........
    Sure there will be more...and good luck to them all!

I just wish one of them would do a silent one with a sage de-interlacer, anamorphic lens, accurate colour and that was tiny....

Gordon

Gordon

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,
    The more PJ's on the battlefield the better for the consumer.
    Personaly, I cant see anything touching CRT (on a smaller screen) for at least another five years.

Phil Tutonbene is very lucky to have someone like Mark with him.
    The guy is a genius. Mark was mentioned in this months SGHT for his test patterns that are designed for DiLA.

I asked him a question once about building my own HTPC, his reply was incredible. He almost wrote me a book on the subject.

Phil T also has my good friend Deniz Mutlu working with him. Deniz's knowledge is only surpassed by his passion for HT.
    Shame about Phils 'TAW' forum though. I guess lack of Traffic drove him into a more marketing oriented stance. Oh well, good while it lasted.

Eric

8. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh guys dont forget S O N Y...they have the patents for GLV!!

cheers laurie