whata a good pvr

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by dougie, Apr 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. dougie

dougie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im looking for a pvr and im thinking about the xtreme 40 gb. does anypone have opinions on this or other pvr's? i deally im looking to upload to my computer via a cable, is that possible?

2. Lynchpin

Lynchpin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I debated this at great length some time ago on UKHA_D (home automation list), basically I had a TiVo from day one they arrived in the UK as I'd seen it working in the States and I never went down the PC route. I know some people like using ShowShifter and Digigiude etc, but any that have then switched to a dedicated PVR have changed their tune dramatically. It would appear that, as I thought, that a PC cannot match a dedicated PVR for useability or reliability, which when we're talking about a device that you use daily and come to rely heavily on is of the utmost importance IMHO.

The other thing to remember is that you will need a half decent PC if it's Windows based. There are other options coming on stream now, like Freevo (IIRC) and another I forget the name of that run on moderate powered *nix boxes, but they are in their infancy at the moment and, as far as I am aware, are not the easiest to set up and use and, IIRC, they don't do timeshifting well if at all.

So, in short dougie, I'd suggest that you look at TiVo (if you can find one of course) or Sky+. Yes, i know that the subs are an issue but really, once you use it you won't mind it and I can almost guarantee that you won't regret it.

HTH

K.