1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Z2 dvd player companion?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sanj, Jun 30, 2004.

1. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all.

I was one of the lucky people to get a Z2 from Ivojo during the 'offer' period. :) I have been very happy with it and have been running the following components:

a sony 725 dvd player to it via component.
    a XBOX via a gamester hi-def pack (component).
    a Keene Scart ->VGA cable ->dvi adaptor from my Panasonic Sky digibox.

The projector was projecting its image onto a cream wall which was ok.
    Now, we've moved home and I've now got a DRH Slimline 240 231cm (width) screen on order :thumbsup: .

Due to the placement of the screen, projector and the other components I find myself wondering about upgrading :)

I have to buy new longer cabling and hence the thought, should I buy a new dvd player to possibly improve the output to the Z2? Having re-read loads of info on this very forum I still can't decide on whether to go the DVI route and buy the Yamakawa.

Are there any newer players that are DVI enabled? Or should I just stick with the Sony 725 that I bought years ago?

Any useful suggestions greatly accepted since I want to get things ordered asap since the screen is about two weeks away.

Ta
    Sanj

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would keep sony unitl new HDMI players from PAnasonic et al are out, hopefully later this year!

3. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out fo interest, what was the Ivojo 'offer'?

4. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    At the launch of the Z2 ivojo subsidised the price of the
    projector on a first come, first served basis. In fact they have a second hand one for sale at the moment at less than a grand. There customer service is excellent and I will buy other equipment from them again.

The Z2 is my first projector and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a large screen image at this price point.

Sanj

5. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Another question.

If I keep with component input to the Z2 should I pass all inputs from my av kit via the Yamaha RXV630 processor, or would this degrade the signal too much?

So I would connect:
    Sony DVD player component to processor.
    XBOX component to processor
    Digibox Scart to component via JSTech box or a Lektropack equivalent to the processor

The processor would then connect via 75 ohm 10m component cables to the Z2.

To me the reason to do this would be only one set of cables to the Z2, but it would mean that I am not using the DVI input or the VGA input on the Z2 and the scart to component boxes aren't cheap.

For info, the wife doesn't want the Z2 mounted on the ceiling so I will have to store it in a cupboard and bring it out for use. I intend to keep the cables attached to the AV equipment and unravel them for use on an adhoc basis.
    Hence why I am considering one set of cables to the projector.

Ta
    Sanj :)

6. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Excuse me for asking a question whilst you are wanting a solution.

Would it be OK for you to get a SCART to Component video lead, rather than a box?

Just wondering what the extra expense of a box gets you over a simple lead.

Also, have you got the Z2 up and running yet, I was wondering how you rated the pic and any SD problems?

7. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    dvdnut,

I don't believe a scart to component lead would work. I currently use the keene Sanyo scart to VGA /VGA-dvi dongle for an RGB source, my panasonic digibox, without problems. This gives me a good signal that is comparable with S-Video, but I want to improve the quality to component at least. The boxes I mentioned convert the signal into a component, thus improving the signal, at least I think that is what they do.

I've had the Z2 running for a number of months now and I really enjoy the big screen movie experience. I do recommend this projector at this price point. But remember it is my first one, I haven't caught 'upgradeitis' as yet! :)

With respect to the picture quality and SD I find that the projector is great for me, but I haven't viewed movies on other home cinema projectors at this price point. If I was to re-do my decision, I would view the panasonic 500, the new hitachi as well as the Z2 and choose from one of these 3 (and maybe one or two others). I've not noticed any SD problems with the Z2 and haven't even really tweaked the machine at all, yet.

Ta
    Sanj

:)

8. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nice to hear you are enjoying it.

Thanks for the response.