What Write Speeds Is Everyone Getting With Their DVD Writers

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kevo, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I have a year old LG 4040B (x4) but can only ever get 2.4x when writing VOB material from HD.
    It's got the latest firmware and I've tried various brands of DVD-R.
    I've tried Easy CD 5 & 6, TMPG DVD Author and Ulead's DVD Workshop 2 and it never writes above 2.4x for both DVD-Rs and DVD+RWs.

Is Nero any better?

A mate of mine has recently bought the new LG 4160 (8x) and he can only get 4x on 8x DVD-Rs. Again he has the latest firmware but he is recording from disk to disk.

Apparantly ECD6 wont write above 4x

Someone once told me that these speeds only apply to data and not DVD (VOB) files! Is there a difference?

If my mate can get 4x speed then shouldn't I?

What speed is everyone else getting (mainly with DVD-Rs) and what method, media brand and software are you using?

2. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried reinstalling the burner? Also make sure that in Device Manager, Ultra DMA is set and not Pio mode.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I haven't tried 'reinstalling' the writer. As there are no device drivers as such it would mean just diconnecting it and connecting it again.

Yes, Ultra DMA mode is set for the IDE channel it's on, which is the secondary and it's not connected with any other devices.

I've just read the notes on the lastest firmware and it says '4x speed now available on DVD-Rs' :confused:

Does this mean I have to buy 8x DVD-Rs just to reach 4x? Surely not?

4. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 4040B started writing at 1.5x on 4x discs suddenly when I temporarily installed an old DVD ROM unit in the other channel, so I did this:
    I went into Safe Mode & uninstalled the LG using device manager. Turned the power off & disconnected the burner's cables. Rebooted the machine normally. Turned the power off & reconnected the cables. Rebooted normally. It fixed the problem. You could try the same thing. All the usual caution about it being at your own risk, etc. !!!

See this thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=110737

So am I - I've been writing at 4x on 4x DVD-Rs for over a year. How old is this "latest" firmware?

No, something's wrong with your set up.

5. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Have a pioneer DVR 108 (official firmware 114) and it burns Datawrite 8x Printables at 12x!!!
    First it starts at 4x then moves to 6x, thens goes to 8x and then reaches 12x.

I have burnt 12 of 25 so far and each one is perfect. 6 minutes 56 seconds to burn completely. Great drive and media

P.S.

NEW PREMIUM Quality Datawrite CMC 8x Speed Inkjet PRINTABLE 4.7GB DVD-R

£5.38 for 25 (cake tin) from: www.digitalpromo.co.uk

The drive DVR 108 is also sold by them. I flashed mine to 114 cos when I got it, it was 106. It reads bare RAM discs and burns DL too

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    "I have a year old LG 4040B (x4) but can only ever get 2.4x when writing VOB material from HD. It's got the latest firmware and I've tried various brands of DVD-R."

thats funny cos you can't record dvd-r at 2.4 speed, only 2x or 4x
    it's dvd+r that records at 2.4 speed

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Yes, it's DVD+RW that i'm getting x2.4, which is correct according to the spec.

x2 on DVD-R.

OK, it seems I didn't have the latest firmware after all.
    I've since upgraded and I can now get x4 :clap:

8. imagedktr

imagedktr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    personally as an IT technician it may well not be a problem with either the discs or the software, what spec is the pc you are running it on ? if you are using anything under 256mb ram or a 2 gig cpu you WILL experience slow write speeds. i currently have a gig of ram and 2.4 gig cpu and roxios dvd creator 6 writes at apprx 12 x on almost any type of dvd recording i need to do.
    my mistake my pc will NOT write at 12x for dvd creation it will write at a max of 8x and that is normal the 12 x comes from other different file formats that i need to save to dvd media (the size is well handy)
    all said and done the pc will create as quickly as it can with whats its got and the saying goes "the more the merrier"