What would your essential items be on a skiing holiday?

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going skiing for the first time soon. I have warm clothes but nothing else. What would you guys that have done it before recommend I take? Obviously I’ll be hiring skis and a helmet out there but are things like wrist protectors a good idea? I’d like to come back in one piece but don’t want to waste money on stuff I don’t need. Any advice welcome!

Skis

Something like a GoPro or similar that you can strap to you / your helmet, so you will be able to record, and enjoy at a later date, when back home in hospital, sorry, I mean, back home with your family, and have some good memories of the event

Hip flask. Sit on a ski lift, make friends with strangers instantly.

Have layered clothes, no idea where you are going but I was once skiing in Andorra in a t-shirt as it was so warm. Skiing is energetic and you can have warm, sunny days.

Goggles. If you get snowblind it will be painful.

Insurance, sunglasses, sun tan lotion.

Edit: and good socks that fit well. Nothing worse than a bunched sock in a ski boot

Ridiculously loud eurotrash sportswear.
ff89af703636d1080652fa4339c2cf7e--ski-jackets-neon.jpg

Willy warmer..just in case

if you feel the cold pop into home bargains and get a few packs of the feet and hand warmers for a quid a pair.
if you are snowboarding some cheap skateboarding knee pads from sports direct and some padded shorts
snacks to put in your pocket

Warm clothes are good, but waterproof clothes are even better....Besides that and I'm being very serious; sun cream lotion of a high factor, good quality eye wear to block the sun....Don't waste money on gadgets absolutely no point....And if you go for the first time, I'd spend the money on some private tutoring, that will get you going quickly and makes it very enjoyable....

And ehm, unless you are going with your other half, plenty of condoms...It's party time :)

Who said snow? o_O

It's easy to forget how strong the sunlight is - you're higher up and the air is dry so very little moisture to reduce it.

Thanks for the serious replies. I hadn’t considered suntan lotion or lip balm with spf50. Will take sunglasses and am going to get some goggles too. I will take the hip flask also!
Is there much point taking any protective body armour type stuff? I have had a days lesson at the snowdome and found skiing pretty easy which surprised me but i know the mountain will be different. I wasn’t planning on a full suit but have seen knee pads, wrist/back protectors etc but they might just be for the hardcore not the noobs like me.

I've never worn anything "protective," ski within your abilities.

Don't worry about protective gear unless you're really fragile. Also you should find real snow easier and better than stuff at the snow dome.

I’m not fragile, just seen this stuff for sale that’s all and didn’t want to be unprepared if everyone else normally uses it. Thanks then, I’ll just wear helmet and not bother with armour.

Decent jacket, gloves and salopettes - nothing worse than being cold/wet.
Clothing layers to keep warm/cool.
Sun block / lip balm.
Mobile/portable charger so you can find your mates when you inevitably lose each other lol.
Winter sports travel insurance.
Money - food/drink on the slopes ain’t cheap.
Enjoy!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom