What would you upgrade?

M

Maxcherry2

Hi There,

I am stuck on what to do next and which way to best improve my system.

I currently have an Arcam A85 which is being used as a pre only feeding some Bryston power pacs 120w (Half a 3bst each) running some FB1 PMC speakers. I have an Arcam CD92 player for disc spinning duties and a Denon DVD for SCAD multi channel which feeds an old Yamaha E800 amp which takes care of the front, Sub and surrounds. I also have a PS3 and NAS for movie streaming.

I am reasonably happy with the surround and SCAD performance and what to try and concentrate on 2 channel improvements.

So I am thinking of changing the A85 for a separate pre-amp 2nd hand if possible. Or if there is an all in one processor that will replace the E800 as well. I can us the Yamaha as a 3 channel power amp in the short term if required.

So what do you guys think? I could maybe push to £1000.00 max after selling the A85 and would like to keep the SCAD 6 analogue input on any processor. Or stay with the Yamaha and just get a pre.

How good are processors at 2 channel stereo compared to the A85.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Seeker_UK

Novice Member
Your pre-amp is probably the bit that needs upgrading. For £1000 you should consider a S/H Meridian 568.2mm as a start to combining 2 and multi-channel solutions.

It's a DAC - has loads of digital inputs (not SACD w/out buying an extra doodad such an HD621) and will run surround sound (THX, Dolby) but is a superb pre-amp for stereo or trifield (a kind of 'super' stereo using a centre speaker).

It also upsamples to a max of 192 kHz and makes any 16 bit digital out much sweeter.

Front speaker outs are balanced XLR which should work well with the Brystons.

M

Maxcherry2

Your pre-amp is probably the bit that needs upgrading. For £1000 you should consider a S/H Meridian 568.2mm as a start to combining 2 and multi-channel solutions.

It's a DAC - has loads of digital inputs (not SACD w/out buying an extra doodad such an HD621) and will run surround sound (THX, Dolby) but is a superb pre-amp for stereo or trifield (a kind of 'super' stereo using a centre speaker).

It also upsamples to a max of 192 kHz and makes any 16 bit digital out much sweeter.

Front speaker outs are balanced XLR which should work well with the Brystons.
Thanks for your input. I have looked at the Meridian the only problem is my SCAD output is over analogue I don’t think you can do SACD over HDMI? If you can I don’t think my player does.

Still not ruling it out do you think the Meridian’s DAC would improve on the Arcam CD92 built in one as then I would be getting to upgrades in one (maybe?):smashin:

Seeker_UK

Novice Member
Thanks for your input. I have looked at the Meridian the only problem is my SCAD output is over analogue I don’t think you can do SACD over HDMI? If you can I don’t think my player does.

Still not ruling it out do you think the Meridian’s DAC would improve on the Arcam CD92 built in one as then I would be getting to upgrades in one (maybe?):smashin:
If you're only interested in SACD in 2 channel, then connecting over analogue will be OK IMHO but (again IMHO) comparing an SACD to standard CD connected to a 568 there is little difference. The 568 converts an analogue signal in into (High resolution) digital so it can process it.

You can do SACD digitally but you need an SACD player with HDMI out and you'll need the Meridian HD621 (£1200!) or a modified Clux11SA - Viruskiller who posts on here should be able to advise as can any decent Meridian delaer such as Audio Images.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom