What would you upgrade as a priority?

Try and add Wharfedale Denton 85 on your list.

I just know the more you spend the better the sound gets.

Focal also.

Can you stretch your budget at all? They're all fine budget speakers, but bargains lime this aren't that common.

It looks great…not sure any dealers in Edinburgh will have it that I can demo. Perhaps a good thing as it’s over my intended budget 😁

It looks great…not sure any dealers in Edinburgh will have it that I can demo. Perhaps a good thing as it’s over my intended budget 😁
There’s always 14 days return right if you buy then online.

That’s the only way you can be sure you like the sound.

There’s always 14 days return right if you buy then online.

That’s the only way you can be sure you like the sound.
Sure…but I like the idea of testing a few speakers in the same sitting and seeing what I prefer. appreciate that it’s not the same as listening at home though

Sure…but I like the idea of testing a few speakers in the same sitting and seeing what I prefer. appreciate that it’s not the same as listening at home though
Yes, very good point.

Ah. I saw the Concept 30 and assumed you had some flex. If the Concept 30 aren't significantly better than the 3020i, QA have really mucked up, which I doubt.

Have a think about the Kegs if you can afford them. They are tier or more above everything on your list, and considered to be pretty legendary.

I have the CD6004, bought brand new probably early 2012.
Was being used the other day, playing a disc happily when it just stopped and will play no more. Cannot eject either.
I have used the remote (nope) and disconnected the power and left overnight but will switch on/reading disc and then turns itself off.
Any ideas?

It's not a highly used product, probably 2/3 times a week so am a bit disappointed. Or am I expecting too much from a £310 12 year old CD player?

Do I dare risk getting it fixed?

Or straight for brand new?

Have also got the PM6004 which still works and would probably go for the CD6007 as a replacement as it would still match the look of the Amp!!

Last edited:
Have also got the PM6004 which still works and would probably go for the CD6007 as a replacement as it would still match the look of the Amp!!
The main difference between the 6004 and 6007 is a different DAC onboard. As the models have progressed there have been slight changes in components but basically the same player and non the poorer for those changes.

I've never been one for matching components on their looks and my cabinet is like the united nations in there. Denon, although a sister company to Marantz, are producing good players with different signatures and are well worth considering.

I currently have CD players from both Marantz and Denon and much prefer the Denon.

If your player still has power but will not play then it could be something very simple such as a broken belt. It may be worth you looking for a local repairer. I know that my nearest repairer charges a non refundable £60 and has, in the past, fitted basic parts for me within that cost. May be worth you making a few telephone calls.

I have the CD6004, bought brand new probably early 2012.
Was being used the other day, playing a disc happily when it just stopped and will play no more. Cannot eject either.
I have used the remote (nope) and disconnected the power and left overnight but will switch on/reading disc and then turns itself off.
Any ideas?

It's not a highly used product, probably 2/3 times a week so am a bit disappointed. Or am I expecting too much from a £310 2 year old CD player?

Do I daree risk getting it fixed?

Or straight for brand new?

You could simply whip the top of the cd plater to see if you can see what’s causing the issue.

I have taken the top off and removed the top of the CD Player and have rescued the disc that was in there.

As I said, power on ok, Reading TOC but no disc rotation, press eject, Open comes on display but nothing happens, press eject again and the display reads Close but no movement at all from the tray/laser. There are no noises of anything actually moving.

I cannot see any broken belt or anything similarlly simple so have put out requests for a local mender and will see what happens.....
Does this sound fatal?

Regarding the Denon DCD-900NE, I can see it has a USB for a stick with files, but will it play files from a connected iPhone which the CD6004 does do?

Many thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
I would look into the room acoustic treatment before upgrading the equipment. If your room is not properly treated already, good treatment will be definitely most critical upgrade you can make.

Hello I was considering what aspects of my setup would most benefit from an ugrade. I listed to music on vinyl or streaming 90% of the time.

Project essential 2 with ortofon 2m red cartridge
Cambridge AXA35 amp
Cambridge DACMAGIC 100
Celestion F10 speakers
Martanz CD6004

Streaming either goes from laptop to DAC via USB or AirPort Express to DAV to amp. AirPort Express to DAC via optical doesn’t work well. Use Apple Music.

Was thinking about upgrading the streaming by getting a Wiim or Bluesound node. Would also like to be able to stream via my android phone

Was also considering to upgrade my speakers, but not sure if that is worth wit witho upgrading the amp?

Advice much appreciated
+1 for AT cart. I just replaced a stock Ortofon 2m with a VM540ml on a Pro Ject TT. Much more neutral, smoother, transparent.

Appreciate the thoughtful comments. I did think a lot about the turntable but in the end I agree that the amp and speakers are the priority. I get the rationale of thinking about the amp first, however I think the weaker link is the speakers and actually I rather like the amp for now.

My thought then is to get new speakers but look for something that suits the current set up but should still be good with a more powerful amp in the future.

I‘ve had some significant aesthetic resistance at home to the idea of floorstanding speakers so for an easy life (and the room is not that big) focus on standmount speakers

My plan is to get a shortlist and go somewhere like Richer Sounds for a demo. so far…

B&W 606 s2
dali Oberon 3
Q Acoustics Concept 30 or 3020i
Mission QX-2 MKII

suggestio on anything to add or delete from the shortlist welcome :)
Be careful with speakers try and listen in your own home.....fwiw I had the 606 here for a trial and was astonished how bad they were....

Hello I was considering what aspects of my setup would most benefit from an ugrade. I listed to music on vinyl or streaming 90% of the time.

Project essential 2 with ortofon 2m red cartridge
Cambridge AXA35 amp
Cambridge DACMAGIC 100
Celestion F10 speakers
Martanz CD6004

Streaming either goes from laptop to DAC via USB or AirPort Express to DAV to amp. AirPort Express to DAC via optical doesn’t work well. Use Apple Music.

Was thinking about upgrading the streaming by getting a Wiim or Bluesound node. Would also like to be able to stream via my android phone

Was also considering to upgrade my speakers, but not sure if that is worth wit witho upgrading the amp?

Advice much appreciated
I see you like streaming & I see you like marantz, So do I.
I stream flac files from my samsung s21 ultra of which I have a few hundred albums in flac straight to my Marantz pm6007 via a wiim, or you can upgrade to the Marantz cd6007 which has a usb slot and I have many flac files on 8 usb sticks labelled a to z of artists albums on to save wear on the usb slot on the marantz I have put those usb sticks into 2 x 4 slot usb extentions. I also posess a small portable 500gb hard drive formatted which I plug into my usb port on my samsung mobile that is almost full now of flac albums in alphabetical order, and it's quick & reliable costing me only £45 from amazon. I bought the B&W 607s2 silver anniversaries speakers, My Turntable is the Rega Planar P3. I knew the speakers were good when the wife walked in the room and commented on the sound for the first time ever I knew I bought well. Hope this helps.

I’ve gone for a WiiM mini which is great. Will get some new speakers, likely next month when I have some time to test them

Appreciate all the replies!

i got the KEF R3…they sound wonderful. Thanks for the recommendations.

of course now I am thinking about a more powerful amp ;)

Rega Elex. I ran the Elicit with R300, beautiful combination.
thanks

going to demo the Elex 4 with my speakers next week, along with the Rocksan Attessa (non BluOS) and NAD368

thanks

going to demo the Elex 4 with my speakers next week, along with the Rocksan Attessa (non BluOS) and NAD368

Have you bought out an Elex mk4 already. I only just got my mk3 a couple of months back and it had only just been launched?

Have you bought out an Elex mk4 already. I only just got my mk3 a couple of months back and it had only just been launched?
The Mk4 replaced the R, which had been out for. A fair few years.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom