1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you suggest for £2000?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Pezerinno, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi, I am contemplating getting a hi-fi system - I'd just want cd, amp and speakers and would have a budget of around £2000.

I don't want/can't have floorstanders.

I'm interested in what you guys might suggest I get for this sort of budget.

Thanks.

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    2nd hand 2 year old CDP, something like a NAD or Arcam ~£200

2nd hand amp, maybe the Krell integrated ~£800. You could also do pre/power, my Primare/A23 combo sounds pretty good but would increase the money spent in this area.

ex-dem speakers, I'm not overly familiar with bookshelves around the £1k mark but a starting point would be the JM Lab Electra 906 / B&W 705. A decent pair of stands, 2nd hand again ~£100.

3. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick, haven't you already asked about this?!

Anyway, for £2000 I'd suggest a demo of equipment, and nothing else.
    There's no end of possibilities, though some pieces are more obvious candidates than others depending on the type of music you listen to, how well it is recorded/produced/mastered, what different volumes you listen at, and what kind of presentation/priorities you like.

And I would never buy a 2nd hand CD player unless I was prepared for it to break the next day....

4. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Before I was building around a 5.1 setup and had a smaller budget. I'll just demo demo demo.

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    £2000?
    Monitor Audio GR10 £799 new. Also consider PMC, Quad, Linn. Depends on personal tastes really.
    Exposure 3010 int 3010 power combo £1000 - Second hand. Outstanding amps for the money especially second hand.
    CDP Something like a £100 DVD player with a seperate NOS DAC. £300 in total new.
    I'd say that would rock pretty well.....

6. The Duke

The Duke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2nd hand the whole way.
    Ex demo is usually over priced.
    There is no mention here of cables, both interconnects and speakers cable. Maybe a decent power cable too.
    If you opt for the integrated route, that takes one set of interconnects out of the equation.
    If you split it into eaqual 1/4ers then £500 per item.
    Unless you envisage periodic upgrades, which might mean you lean towards either a better amp, or cd. Much depends on what's out there.
    Consider Loot and eBay plus there are enough quality hifi mags out there with plenty of ads in them.
    The business of hifi, is that it's Pandorra's Box, once opened, you'll always be adding / changing, so take advantage of this fact and perhaps buy an entire system if one becomes available - £2000 will buy you a huge amount!
    Best of luck.
    Tim