What would you study?

jp_bl_68

Prominent Member
Reaction score
A question for those of you who have left the education system.

Recently I've found myself increasingly interested in subjects that I previously had no interest in whatsoever. Whilst I'm happy with my current job and salary I definitely regret the opportunities I wasted whilst I was at school.

So, if time and money were no issue would you take up a part/full time college/university course? If so, what would you study?

edit- Forgot to mention what I'd study. I'd love to be good at maths and physics so that I might better understand the universe. However, I've always struggled with these subjects and if I'm honest with myself I doubt I'd enjoy studying them as much as I'd like to think I would.

I think learning a foreign language (possibly German) or learning to draw/paint would be more my kind of thing if I were to go down the academic route.

But I'm not sure.

Last edited:
If salary etc was not a concern, I would be a carpenter/boat builder.

History. Without hesitation. Every second day I day-dream about "what if". I just like finding out little facts and learning about past societies & civilisations. Currently going through a phase with history docs on the box

Of course having done a degree once I'm not really inclined to do it all over again even if I had enough money to never need to work again. There is always the library and can read at my own pace without the pressures of exams :cool:

If salary etc was not a concern, I would be a carpenter/boat builder.

Me too.

It depends if you mean academic or vocational subjects.

For an initial insight into a variety of subject such as Psychology, Sociology, History, English Lit. try an Access Course at your local college.

IMO the finest subject anyone can study. At degree level you only really learn how to study it. It then continues for a lifetime.
Please stop it! Life: you make decisions/mistakes (delete as appropriate) and then you carry on. No looking back...

Might start a thread sometime in the lit' section inviting history buffs :cool:

I did briefly dabble with the RAF when I was 17. I think I would forego doing a degree again and join the Navy to be honest.

Butchery :D

He scares me. I don't think he cures his meat safely enough...

I'd like to study fashion design.

I am fascinated in the study of history and it occupies a fair whack of my spare time. I wouldn't, however, go back to study it officially. As was said above, you're taught more how to study as opposed to actually studying. Therefore I think you're better-served picking up a book on a topic in which you're interested and churning through that.

I'd go for Maths. And a language. They are two things that formalised education does far better than self-teaching.

please stop it! Life: You make decisions/mistakes (delete as appropriate) and then you carry on. No looking back...

Might start a thread sometime in the lit' section inviting history buffs :cool:

Yes! :lesson:

Currently pushing my way through Robert Fisk's tome on the conquest of the Middle East. :thumbsup:

I'd like to study fashion design.

Lady Gaga beat you to it I think....

screenshoteb.png

If I could study all over again my choice would be nothing to do with electronics/computers/maths etc, in fact nothing to do with science or technology.

... My choice would be music.

My Sister was musical, I was not

So I married a musical wife and now have musical children.

One of them is learning violin, just like my sister did....

I'm pretty stupid aren't I :)

Last edited:
My Sister was musical, I was not

So I married a musical wife and now have musical children.

One of them is learning violin, just like my sister did....

I'm pretty stupid aren't I :)

No, your not - sounds like success to me. :cool:

I used to be in a band playing lead guitar (actually got paid sometimes as well!) and have near enough perfect pitch... well, good enough for R&B and rock & roll.

My interest would be to study the history, composition, notation and the 'technical' side of music. Not so much learning to play an instrument like a violin or piano.

Oh yes, I forgot that I want to learn the keyboard. My typing is terrible! :D

... music keyboard! :smashin:

I'm currently studying for a work related exam but if I were to study for my own pleasure then it would be languages. I'd like to learn Japanese as I'm fascinated by it and the culture and know some of the basic's.

Only problem is I don't know any Japanese people and don't meet any so I'd never use it! Otherwise I'd like to learn the piano. And singing too although I don't think I could learn that! Don't have the tools for it!

Oh just thought, learning building, electrics, plumbing, decorating etc would probably come in most useful!

Hmm, this is a tough one and just slightly off topic, this is the main issue kids have about choosing a career path at a time when they have no clue what they want to do. In most cases (but not always), if they are bright they are railroaded into a science or technical degree and if not its usually a manual or office job.

I had absolutely no clue what i wanted to pursue when i left school so went into Civil Engineering. Lasted four years as i hated it then went on tools doing landscaping and drives. Now i'm an IT Manager, and currently looking to do something else.....at 40, lol.

On topic though, had i my time again or if i had endless time and money i think i would do either Astronomy or Marine Biology, as i love reading/learning about the universe and everything in it and i also love the ocean and find it incredibly facsinating and always have a pang of envy whenever i see programs with marine biologists in the Caribbean diving around reefs on a scientific survey. Though its probably not as glamorous as that irl, lol.

Either ancient history and archeology, or something to do with cooking

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom