1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you recommend?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by WillC, Oct 4, 2005.

1. WillC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I’ve had an offer accepted on an apartment and I’ll be moving in by the end of the month. Now, I didn’t know the first thing about TVs until a few weeks ago, but since then I’ve been doing a lot of research. Still, I probably only know about 1% as much as you guys, so that’s why I’m here; to ask for some advice.

- I’ll be sitting about 2.5 to 3.0 metres away from my TV.
    - My budget can stretch as far as £1,000 however I’d really prefer to keep it down as much as possible.
    - As far as I’m concerned, the bigger the screen size the better.
    - I don’t use the TV that much – perhaps a couple of hours per day. I need it for terrestrial TV, perhaps a couple of DVDs per month, possibly Sky/Cable/Freeview in the future, and possibly a games console (although unlikely).
    - Regarding HDTV, obviously it’d be nice to have that option, but I’m not sure if there’s any point in me having it? I mean, there’s a 50/50 chance I’ll have Sky within the next couple of years, and I don’t exactly watch tonnes of DVDs.

I’ve been looking at a whole range of different TVs:
    - Part of me wants to splash out on a 42” plasma TV – I’ve seen a 42” Grundig at Argos for £999 and a 42” Neovia at Currys for the same price. Are these models a total waste of money? Obviously they're hardly "big names". But for my purposes, would that matter?
    - I’ve also taken a fancy to some 32” LCD TVs such as the LG RZ32LZ50 (is this HDTV ready?!) for around £840 at Dixons and the Toshiba 32WL56 for the same price. I also quite like the 27” Toshiba 27WL56 (HDTV ready) for £630, although I’m worried I’d regret not getting a bigger screen size.
    - Alternatively, I’ve seen a 42” rear projection Toshiba model in Dixons for £599. I realise that the picture isn’t great, but do I really need a top quality model? Would this suffice for my purposes? Would I be able to get it up two flights of stairs?!
    - Taking it one step further, would I be wise to just go for a standard 32” widescreen TV for around £400 while waiting for HDTV LVD/Plasmas to fall in price over the next couple of years?

A couple of other general questions:
    - Would you recommend buying off the internet (where the prices seem cheaper) or from a larger retail store (like Currys)? I'd like peace of mind if my TV became faulty.
    - How easy would it be for me to mount a plasma/LCV television to the wall? Bear in mind I'm a complete beginner.

As you can see, I’m very much open to all the different options. What would you do in my situation? And why? I’d really appreciate your response.