What would you prefer as game rewards?

What would you prefer developers used as rewards in their games?

• Total voters
What would you prefer developers used to reward their gamers on every console?

sotonjoe

I voted gamerpoints as I'm satisfied with the current system.

The additional game content idea is an interesting one but, as a casual gamer myself, I think I'd feel a little left out at all the content the hardcore types were getting their hands on just because they had more time to play!

nick501

Distinguished Member
I'd like 1 and 2. i like the points but would like to see them mean something.

Voted 2 though.

Ico.

I'd like 1 and 2. i like the points but would like to see them mean something.

Voted 2 though.

Me to... I don't chase points at all but it's a good way of me seeing which games I've played and how much, but would like some extra reward for reaching certain points, gamer pics maybe?:smashin:

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
I dont see Acheivements as "rewards" as of themselves but the idea of additional themes, videos etc is quite good, although already done by by some games - ie when you complete GOW you get a specific gamerpic. But I think it could be expanded upon. In game stuff is already catered for in this regard though is it not? Most games have some sort of levelling up as you progress? Any more "restricted" content would not be fair on casual pick up and play gamers or rubbish gamers like me!

additional in game content could screw up online gaming though if one person has a map and another doesn't for instance.

No it wouldnt. Not everyone downloads the extra online map packs that come on the marketplace. It would just mean that the extra special maps will only be played by the elite that have completed that certain acheivement.

Spinke

I'm not really fussed about any of it, but option 3 is quite an interesting one.

Unlocking themes/gamerpics with achievements would be a nice bonus, however I am content with the current gamerpoint system.

ukkev2000

same comments as your other thread...

GP, 'cos all the others don't work for me, and haven't done in the past (eg TVR in PGR2).

It really is the easiest way of seeing what I've done.

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
I voted option 2.

I think the current achievement system is good but I'd rather have some cool unlockable stuff instead, or even as well as gamerpoints.

Ok after 2.5 hours the total results are:

1st Place = In game rewards with 50%

2nd Place = Acheivement Points with 36%

3rd Place = Out of game extras with 14%

Captain Speedy

Or another way to look at the results:

The people who have achievements (360) sort of like them.

Those without achievements yet (ps3) dont like them.

and those with the system thats more fun for all the family (Wii) dont really give a monkeys about the poll.

Or another way to look at the results:

The people who have achievements (360) sort of like them.

Those without achievements yet (ps3) dont like them.

and those with the system thats more fun for all the family (Wii) dont really give a monkeys about the poll.

less than 50% of X360 owners want acheivements. I would say then that most X360 owners would prefer extras to acheivements. That puts them in the same boat a PS3 owners.

Captain Speedy

less than 50% of X360 owners want acheivements. I would say then that most X360 owners would prefer extras to acheivements. That puts them in the same boat a PS3 owners.

So the 18 people who have voted account for the other 9,999,982 or so who have not voted. Plus I said 'sort of' not do.

Just admit people DO like achievements, I do.

Cow Puncher

I'm a fan of the Achievement system as it's gives a game legs and lets me and my mates have some competition type banter. But to be truthfull they arn't worth Jack in the real world so in the long run I suppose I would prefer to have in game content.

Maybe the developers and MS could reward people for gaining acheivements with in-game content?

Voted #2.

Smaz.

Monopot

A night with Evangeline Lilly.........:devil: ...... oops sorry wrong topic....

I voted No.2. Anything that adds value to a game has got to be worth getting.

A night with Evangeline Lilly.........:devil: ...... oops sorry wrong topic....

I voted No.2. Anything that adds value to a game has got to be worth getting.

I like the sound of that too.

Mattk84

Banned
I voted for gamescore points as we already have unlockable characters etc etc and as for number 3, those things dont float my boat at all !

SportiveUK

I voted "1" because I do like the current system but I would have liked to see a 4th option combining all of the ideas. For example we could have achievements as we currently have them which are "do-able" for just about anyone that plays the game with the other options in varying degrees of difficulty which give slightly better rewards for those really dedicated gamers who are most likely to make use of them.

The rewards tend to keep me playing a game a little longer than I otherwise might have but I would have thought that developers want to draw our attention to new games as quickly as possible which seems to be at odds with this!

Spinke

You really can't draw anything conclusive from that poll, there are far too few voters and the poll itself is completely flawed.

I voted for option 3, but like I said I'm happy with achievements, I doubt anyone is NOT happy with them. If the poll was multiple choice then it would a lot more sense.. then again, it doesn't really matter since developers decide what goes in there, option of doing achievements is always there (and it's free), and they may or may not add unlockable content.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
The poll is a bit restrictive, why achievements OR unlockable content?

Cloning Clyde(the XBLA game) had both achievements & unlockable content in the form of gamerpics. I'm sure that isn't the only game to offer both, it doesn't have to be either or:confused:

Achievements and unlockables would have my vote, no option for that though.

The poll is a bit restrictive, why achievements OR unlockable content?

Cloning Clyde(the XBLA game) had both achievements & unlockable content in the form of gamerpics. I'm sure that isn't the only game to offer both, it doesn't have to be either or:confused:

Achievements and unlockables would have my vote, no option for that though.

I decided to leave it separate because I wanted to see what is more important to people. Some games might have exclusive unlockable content for say the PS3 but only acheivements on X360. What would you rather have the PS3 with extra content or X360 with acheivements. I doubt anyone would object to having acheivement points if they get the same content.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I decided to leave it separate because I wanted to see what is more important to people. Some games might have exclusive unlockable content for say the PS3 but only acheivements on X360. What would you rather have the PS3 with extra content or X360 with acheivements. I doubt anyone would object to having acheivement points if they get the same content.

Sorry, I still fail to see your point. Why should the PS3 have extra unlockable content that the 360 is unable to offer due to already giving us achievements?

I'm sure we'll see plenty of unlockable content exlusive to both platforms as it's one way to seperate two very similar titles onto their platforms. I don't see where the Xbox360s achievements would come into that though, as far as I'm aware Microsoft hasn't blocked developers offering unlockable content due to this.

Spinke

I'm thinking the aim is more to twist it to 'prove' his 'point'. Open to discussion? Seems not.

Sorry, I still fail to see your point. Why should the PS3 have extra unlockable content that the 360 is unable to offer due to already giving us achievements?

I'm sure we'll see plenty of unlockable content exlusive to both platforms as it's one way to seperate two very similar titles onto their platforms. I don't see where the Xbox360s achievements would come into that though, as far as I'm aware Microsoft hasn't blocked developers offering unlockable content due to this.

For example if Virtua tennis 3 had a fully working online mode but the X360 had no online what would you choose? The PS3 with online or X360 with achievements? (this is only an example. I know only the X360 version has online because thats why i bought it for X360)

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+