• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What would you make from these items?

technoman28

As the title says, sure there are quite a few on here who will have made a particular thing that kept us entertained for hours. Will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with anything else.
IMG-5854.jpg
rubber-bands-250x250.jpg
images (1).jpeg
107718346-single-white-candle-isolated-on-a-black-background.jpg

nheather

Distinguished Member
A rubber powered cotton reel tank.

Well that’s what we called them.

ACEE59D1-101F-481A-B60F-6BCBCB01CE72.jpeg

When I made them in my youth, I would cut a slot in the non-candle end for the short matchstick to sit in to stop it from spinning.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

nheather

Distinguished Member
Alright then, going back to my childhood (1970s for the most part), this was one of my favourite things that I and my friends would make. This is what we needed

THING.jpg

For the thing
  • Garden cane, the thin green ones about 60cm long (though it was probably 24 inches back then) - only needs one
  • Some cardboard - usually cut from a cereal box (back in the days when you got plastic toys in your cereal - just an observation, only need the card for this)
  • A length of string
  • A small piece of malleable metal - we often cut a piece from a tin can
  • Some tape
Tools needed
  • Scissors for cutting the card, string and the tin (don't let mum find out you have been cutting tin with her best scissors)
  • Penknife to cut the garden cane
  • Pliers to bend the tin (look in your dad’s tool cupboard when he is not around)
What was it that my mates and I used to make?

Clue - probably wouldn't be 'allowed' in today's health and safety PC world

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

mikes48

Distinguished Member
Alright then, going back to my childhood (1970s for the most part), this was one of my favourite things that I and my friends would make. This is what we needed

View attachment 1367327

For the thing
  • Garden cane, the thin green ones about 60cm long (though it was probably 24 inches back then) - only needs one
  • Some cardboard - usually cut from a cereal box (back in the days when you got plastic toys in your cereal - just an observation, only need the card for this)
  • A length of string
  • A small piece of malleable metal - we often cut a piece from a tin can
  • Some tape
Tools needed
  • Scissors for cutting the card, string and the tin (don't let mum find out you have been cutting tin with her best scissors)
  • Penknife to cut the garden cane
  • Pliers to bend the tin (look in your dad’s tool cupboard when he is not around)
What was it that my mates and I used to make?

Cheers,

Nigel

Thought it was a mobile phone at first - then I realised there's only one tin can.

Maybe something you whizz around your head making a shrieking noise?

Or a Whirling Dervish outfit?

nvingo

Distinguished Member
I'm guessing, some kind of projectile launcher (bow)?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom