1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you get ?

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by 50/50, Mar 4, 2003.

1. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am buying my new ICE very soon, and I need some assistence in which combos to get... here are the choices

Head Unit

1. Pioneer DEH-P6500R for £200
    and Rockford Fosgate Punch 300X (£150, 4 x 37.5W RMS) to drive all four speakers or 2x150 if bridged ?
    Total[£350]

or

2 .Alpine CDA7894RB (£300) that will drive all four speakers
    Total[£300]

Speakers

1. 2 pairs of MBQuart DSD216 running of alpine or RF
    Total[£190]

or

2 .Rockford Fosgate FNP2614 for fronts (£150) with Kenwood KFC1777 for rear. The rears would run of the head unit, and the Rockford Fosgate would be bridged to 2ch. Or the Alpine HU would drive the fronts and rears.
    TOTAL [£190]

I have listened too all of the kit and I am very happy with it all, but I just need to decided which combo to choose from....

PS, I have already chosen my sub+amp (P/Gold QX300.1 amp and T12 subwoofer)

2. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Alpine is a very good unit apparently and if I could I would buy it now if it wasn't for my house zapping all my money away at the moment.
    So I would get the Alpine and then when funds allow get an RF amp to power the 4 speakers as although the amp in the Alpine is no slouch it can't compare to a half decent amp.

You can't really go wrong with either of them and its all about cash in the end really.

You buying it all from CAD?

3. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    probably, Im not going to use my local cel-direct shop too. They price match from the internet..

4. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be worth posting on CAD's forum as well.
    From what I understand also CAD might do you a deal as your're spending quite a bit of cash.

I can't help with what speakers to get as I don't have a clue. I'll be getting some nice components for the front when funds allow and after I pick up an Alpine headunit. Then i'll run my OE rear speakers off the headunit. After that a 4 channel amp (Rockford I expect) to power the front components and i'll pick up a 10" sub + box and bridge the other channels on the amp for that.

5. Mahtey

Mahtey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey,

You'll get much better SQ running you comps from an off board amp (like the RFyou mention) than from any (headunits) internal amp.

What car is this setup going in? If it's a small to medium sized car i'd ditch the idea of running rear speakers all together.

I'd suggest using a more powerful 4ch amp to run your whole system - the RF Power 551x jumps out at me as being great value - it'll provide 2 x 70wrms to you fronts and bridging the rear channels will give 275wrms into a 4 ohm load. RF usually underate their amps by about 10-15% so the sub output will be close to that of the PG qx300.1 you mentioned.

This is a 'power' series amp so it has superior crossovers and build to the 'punch' range

It's £280 on CAD - only £60 more than the 301x (300x's replacement)

Alpine 7984 or JVC sh909r/99r for HU - both 300 on CAD

For components in the £150 price range you simply can't beat Focal's Access range - their much more widely available than their high end comps. Far superior to RF's offerings IMHO.

Hope that helps,

Matthew

p.s. - post up on CAD's forum - the guys are very helpful and will point you in the direction of the best kit you can buy for your money.

6. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the car used is a mk3 VW GOLF

ill check that amp out, it seems very good value..

Ive just listened to the focals at my local halford. and they sound alot better than the RFs! ill definatly buy them.

Using one amp in the car will save me alot of money which could be spent on blacked out windows:cool:

Thanks for the advice

7. Mahtey

Mahtey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey 50/50,

No probs, my pleasure.

A mk3 golf eh? Very nice - I'd definitely ditch the idea of running rears for the moment. After all you don't sit in the back do you?!!!

I think you should definitley go for a HU with 4v preouts - it'll make sure you get a nice clean signal to your amp (low signal to noise ratio)

Re subs - I believe focal are bringing out an access line of subs very soon which might be worth a look. Also JL are always a good bet - in you price range the JL w3v2 is a great sub.

Make sure you get a dual 2 ohm voice coil or a single 4 ohm voice coil sub - as the RF will only be stable into a 4 ohm load when bridged.

If you're looking for something a little different the Phase Linear Thriller Pro 12" looks sweet - £170 on CAD. You can check it out HERE

Cheers,

Matthew

8. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I would go for option 2 and 2, but your choice mate.