What would you do!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by ohhnoo, Feb 10, 2009.

1. ohhnoo

ohhnoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think I've finally narrowed down my shortlist, I will mainly be watching sky sd and plan to buy a ps3 for gaming and blueray, plus I plan to watch HD in one form or another.
    My options are as follows.
    1, Panasonic th46pz85 £899 + PS3 80g £274 +Sky plus hd box £49 +£9.75 pm.
    2, Panasonic th46pz81 £1095 + ps3 80g £274.
    3, Wait for new Panasonic 2009 range, But I suspect the g series 46'' will be around £1500 so no sky+ hd or ps3 until later.

Two more questions how much energy do plasmas use compared to lcd and would it be wise to get a 5 year extended warranty.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    the PZ80 series is brilliant, i recommend it a lot, not sure about the new ones, they will be better no doubt but i don't know how much better to the regular users eye. I'd go for the top one (I'm assuming it's the 46PZ80) as there's no need for freesat (on the 81) if you're using sky HD which has more HD channels anyway.

As for energy consumption, that is a very grey area but generally the bigger you get the more efficient plasmas are compared to LCDs, 37" puts them about level and 42"+ generally plasma comes out on top. The problem is that quoted energy consumption is higher on plasma, but that's only the power that's used when all the pixels are lit up with white light. The consumption on the 32PG6000 (as an example) is quoted at 230Watts, but people who have tested it have come out as low as 75! (that is an extreme case though) generally though, it's difficult to tell, although plasma will be fine at 46".

So the top one in my opinion, Blu-ray is amazing, 24p handled well on the PZ80, i got the 37PX80 (not 1080p) recently and it's brilliant for blu-ray, SD and gaming (am yet to use HD TV). Close to no IR (none noticeable unless you look for it on a black screen really close up) so it's brilliant, go for it, you'll be very happy!

3. Caskey

Caskey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I'd say the Panasonic PX80 is better for SD content. Mind you, HD content is brilliant on it too, but i'd say the PZ80 is better for HD stuff.

4. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    Yes, SD always looks worse on 1080p sets, the difference is smaller though on the Panasonics in the LCD and Plasma ranges, if you want 1080p then the PZ80 is one of the best, if it's purely for SD use then the PX80 will be better :thumbsup:

I'd say, for your useage, the PZ80 would be the best because of the potential with blu-ray at 46", beasty!

5. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,439
    The SD on my PX80 is great and better then that on the PZ70, thats not just because the PZ is 50" and i sit to close its just fact that the PX handles SD better.

6. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    yea, my PX80 is briliant in SD too, it's the case for all 1080p sets (LCD and Plasma) that SD PQ suffers slightly

7. philofcas

philofcas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    AFAIK they don't do a 46 PX model.

To the OP, as you have SKY already i.e. you don't mind paying for the privilege, then i'd go with option 1 with the recommendation of Monarch's of getting the PZ80 rather than paying extra for the '85.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  8. chapeau

chapeau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Depends on what the screen is showing and what your settings are.

On my 46PZ a black screen uses 125W
    Sky EPG uses 475W
    On BBC right now it's using 375W

On standby it uses about 2.5W. The receiver uses 80W on standby, the Sky box uses around 8W when turned on, 6W on standby,

If you assume the tele uses between 300W and 400W you won't be too far off. Go for the PZ80.

9. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    Power consumption is a myth of plasmas, they don't use as much as some people think because pixels aren't always lit up, often quoted power consumptions are for when every pixel is lit, which very rarely happens, as you get bigger plasmas become more efficient than LCD

10. chapeau

chapeau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    My 46PZ plasma has been on for 30 minutes now, BBC1, and has used 0.2kwh. I know this because I have a device on the line which measures power consumption, no myths here :)

That works out at 400Wh.

Panasonic says in their documentation that 'Assumptive Actual Use' is 387Wh. That's pretty close to what I'm measuring, certainly within the probably accuracy of my measuring device.

So I would say panasonic's published figure is pretty good.

11. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I used to agree with SD looking better on a 720 set, but after recently upgrading a PX70 to a PZ80 I cant believe how much better the PZ80 looks on V+.
    Although I agree if you are only going to be interested in SD viewing then I would get the PX80 and save the xtra money as you wont be dissapointed in the PQ anyway

12. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    The difference between the PX70 and the PZ80 is an exception, the SD quality on 1080p plasmas from Panasonic is very good, the same goes for Panasonic LCDs too, PX80 is still better on SD than the PZ80 though (although the PZ80 is still superior to most other sets

13. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    The problem with the px70 is it overscanned like crazy with no real way to disable it, i suspect the main reason v+ looks so much better is the fact of much better contrast combined with no overscan...

As a quick example my old px80 looked better than my friends old pz70 on freesat HD ( BBC HD )

14. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    Just done some reading and Panasonic plasmas are particularly energy thirsty compared to some others, I still stand by the fact that palsmas aren't generally as power thirsty as people may think.

Panasonic do provide more accurate specs but it's different for everyone, it also depends on what mode you use

15. chapeau

chapeau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just hit 1kwh of electricity used since I turned it on 3 hours or so ago. So around 330w. Max powe registered was 560W which is higher than panasonic spec. That makes it one of the most electrical energy hungry devices in the home, probably only the oven costs more to run.

Will have to get the old CRT out and measure power use on that and see where electricity bills are going to head. Have to say that in this day and age that is too much electricity for a single appliance to be using when it's on so long.

16. Boldred25

Boldred25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Am I right in saying the 42PX80B is the most energy efficient plasma of that size in Panasonic's range?

Looking at the stats for the 2009 range, it also appears the PX80 will beat the new X10 as well, and still be the 'greenest' buy.

I've thought about it between the PZ80 and the PX80, along with the +£200, the increased power consumption is why I'm going to go for either the PX80 or the X10.

Going to wait until the end of the month to see what happens with the new releases, and whether this will effect the PX80 price (if there are any left). :rolleyes:

17. philofcas

philofcas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23

the OP is talking 46" and they don't do a PX in a 46", i suppose you just like arguing the toss between 720 & 1080 whenever you get the chance :D:D:D

18. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    I know, he's talking 46" but it came onto the 720p v 1080p topic so...you know. I'm also pointing out the possibility to go for a slightly smaller set for the extra cash and better SD. The PZ80 will have stunning HD though, that's where it will come into its own.

And Boldred25, what kind of material do you watch? (how much HD and how much SD?) If it's entirely SD then the PX80s are better, PZ80s are stunning in HD though when watching blu-ray

19. Boldred25

Boldred25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm on a Virgin set top box, and given BBC is the only HD channel, not sure I'm going to bother upgrading to HD unless they get some more.

I have a Wii (not HD) and watch DVD's (do not own any Bluerays). My sister bought a 42PX80 at the start of Jan for £499 and it's annoying for me I can't really get one inc. delivery for less than £590! :devil:

My thinking at the moment is to wait for the release of the new range and see what happens. I may still go for the PX80 if they come down a little, or pay the bit extra and get the X10. For me, the saving between the PZ80 and the PX80 gets me a decent DVD upscaler / enhancer, potentially with a hard disk, and maybe even a nice 2:1 speaker set (if needed). :smashin:

20. philofcas

philofcas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23

no problem :smashin:, all good honest harmless discussion anyhow, FWIW, i've warmed to the SD on our PZ80 (a 42), i it's pretty good IMH, must agree HD is different level though :thumbsup:, look, you've got me at it now :)

21. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    haha, the SD on the PZ80 is very good, probably the best for a 1080p set, the PX80 is better though (even if only marginally).

Anyway, Bodlred, as nearly all of your material is SD I would say the PX80, if you can get it, for the improved SD, however, are you planning to get blu-rays in the future? I would recommend getting a decent blu-ray player instead of an upscaling DVD player (most (if not all) BR players do upscale DVDs too) as blu-ray is stunning. If blu-ray is a possible strong future use then the PZ80 is an appealing option, as I said SD is still very good (better than LCDs!). Also, what's the viewing distance and what size are you going for?

22. Boldred25

Boldred25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    42" fits in between our living room shelf arrangement perfectly.

We sit just under 8' from where the screen would be positioned.

The screen is in the centre of the room (no fire place) and so we also get good viewing angles from most seating positions.

As I understand it, while the PZ will play Blueray fantastically, I can imagine even if I got a Blueray, I may watch one a month, maybe 2 at most. Our main viewing is good series like the Wire, Heroes, Doctor Who etc.

It seems the PX80 while 720p also handles Blueray very well.

If it so happens that the new range comes out, the PX80 doesn't drop and stays at say £599, the new X10 is say £699, and the PZ80 slips toward the £699 then that will put the cat amoung the pidgeons in terms of making a decision. Even if our Blueray viewing is not that frequent, it would be a bit more special sitting down on the PZ knowing we are getting the best possible experience...

hark at me I'm changing my bloody mind again! :suicide:

23. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    It's tough I know, I have the 37PX80, I've watched 2 blu-ray films on it through my PS3 since buying it in mid january (I would watch more but I don't own any blu-rays, these were rented) I watched Wall-E and the new Indianna Jones movie, I have to say they were both absolutely stunning, especially Wall-E which actually did shock me due to its beauty! As soon as you see blu-ray on it you will not regret getting the X instead of the Z. Also, Panasonic, among others, have announced a 30% rise in price so don't bank on a decrease.

So, although the Z will give that little bit extra, the X is probably the one to go for, get that plus a blu-ray player (although if you get a cheap blu-ray player you may need to wait until next week for a disc to start up, a PS3 is the best one really, nearly £400 though). At 8ft you wont be able to see the full difference between 1080p and 720p as well on a 42", there will be a difference, but you wont be able to see it because you wouldn't have bought a blu-ray player! The SD quality reduction wont be hugely noticeable, in fact, unless you bought both you wont notice it really, but that difference might be bigger than the full HD advantage. PX80 in my opinions, others may argue otherwise

24. Boldred25

Boldred25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I didn't know that. Dabs are doing the 42PX80B at £579.00 + £14 delivery. For an extra £72 they are offering a 4 yr extended TV warranty (the terms of which look quite good). They also have the Panasoinc DB35 Blu-ray at £195. Perhaps it is worth just going for it...:cool:

25. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Not really, I thought it was a discussion with some good facts and thoughts personely.
    Seems some people like to try and point discussions towards an argument for no reason

26. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    My advice is just to go, don't think about it, that helps when you hand over that much money, you wil be impressed though and that blu-ray player is a decent one I think (should be for nearly £200). That's a good price too, you will be very happy with both, you'll be able to afford the blu-ray player without breaking the bank too much with the PX80 though, go for it

27. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Your probably right, looking at the 2 now the PX70 didnt do that good a job of SD material

28. ohhnoo

ohhnoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for all the input,forgot all about this post anyway went for option n#1 in the end which was a panasonic th-46pz85,sky+hd, ps3 80gb and a alphason fw1100 l/o to put it all on. Tv and stand arrive tommorrow:smashin: but have to wait until 28th Feb for sky=hd to be installed then its just a case of getting the best deal I can find on a ps3.

29. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    You're sorted, the PS3 is pretty much the best blu-ray player you can buy, I highly recommend blu-ray movies, they are no less than stunning, and on all that kit it will be even better!

On the PS3 front I recommend Little Big Planet, there are quite a few PS3+LBP deals around, easily the best game of the year (and it's not for kids despite what it looks like)

30. philofcas

philofcas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23

yes, you're right, that's why the smileys were there :smashin:, make love, not war