1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nobber, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What to buy.....

VPL-VW11HT LCD
    NEC LT150z
    SIM 200DM

and of course why

thanks
    Nobber

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd buy a second hand crt of roland! (am i allowed to say that on this forum!?)

Not seen the NEC, but i like the sim......but you need to go see them all!

ad

3. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the price,id go 4 the sony m8,its the canines conkers at £3600, mines on order :D

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The "why" is easy - to watch films and stuff ;)

Each projector has its own merits. Those who own a specific model (or have seen good dems) will make a convincing argument for it.

If you want a quick summary, then that's pretty easy - DLPs generally have better black than LCD but can suffer from colour flashing (rainbow effect), the SIM2 has this problem sorted for all but the most sensitive to it. The Sony is the only projector here to use a 16:9 panel, this gives less light overspill than the 4:3 panel projectors. The SIM2 has the most accurate colour straight out of the box (closest to EBU/SMPTE standards). The list goes on and on and on...

What's more important is how you are going to use the projector and your expectations from it.

Search through some of the older threads on the models you've shortlisted, then come back and tell us the room size and what size screen you're thinking of. Where do you want to/need to put the projector in the room (the Sony needs to go quite close to the screen, the Sim2 at the back of the room) and are you planning to ceiling mount or use it on a table top.

This forum is a great place to get the low down on each projector. We can help you ask the right questions when it comes time for a demo, and Buns is absolutely right, you must go see for yourself.

Regards

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I'll third that recommendation. You just can't appreciate the differences until you've seen them.

I could tell you that rainbow is acceptable on the Sim2 HT200DM, but not the HT200, or that contrast is too low on the Sony, but it's pretty meaningless to you. You must see things like this for yourself and decide.

The rest of Chris' advice is spot on (as always).

Cheers,
    Liam

6. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What about the Sanyo PLV-60. An excellent projector with an outstanding image and excellent black levels.
    Mark

7. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Check out the Epsom TW 100 or you could save a lot of cash and get the Panasonic AE-100 and an HCPC.

I was in the market for the same projectors as you until I saw the Panasonic...

8. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Chris

thanks for your response, I have been deliberating for months now and I really need to make a decision soon

my room is 14ft by 12.5ft and I would like to mount the projector from the ceiling, I have been reading for months a bout the NEC LT150/ new model in UK has a Zoom lense but for some reason I seem to be going off it, I think its the fact that even though it has a "cinema mode" 16:9 it is a 4:3 pj, I am being drawn to the sony even though it is about £1500 more than the NEC, now I have moved up a price bracket I thought about the SIM

I watch movies and also MTV

any further advice?

thanks

9. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobber just 2 say really if you r considering the 200 dm sim i think its still holding a 5.5_6k price , and has i said before got my sony coming this tuesday 4 £3550 which i,d say was a much better buy 4 the money, you can get the normal sim 200 but the rainbow effect spozed 2 b quite noticeable thats why i ,ve gone 4 the sony wich is allot brighter and better resolution than the early sim 200,;)

10. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, where did you get your Sony from and do you know where I could demo the Sony and NEC

Cheers

11. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine from sound and vision,bolton,spoke 2 a very nice bloke called george, very helpfull,
    if you have a sound academy near you go there 4 a demo, dont know about the nec,sorry, ;)

12. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Hello Chris...thanks for your response

...have been reading for months a bout the NEC LT150/ new model...seem to be going off it,...it is a 4:3 pj, I am being drawn to the sony

Both the NEC and SIM2 pjs use 4:3 panels. If you want 16:9 from your shortlist then it will have to be the Sony.

There are plenty of people using Sony VW10 and VW11 projectors. It is bright, quiet, ceiling mountable and gives pretty good results straight out of the box. Like most projectors it can be tweaked to improve performance (grey screen improves black level, filter improves colour – do a search for more info). The Achilles heel is shadow detail & black level.

As always, the advice is go for a demo. If you like what you see, then give the dealer the opportunity to quote.

Regards