1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do?!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Raze, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I recently bought a Toshiba 36ZP46 the Picture Frame 3 for £799 from Currys - it was the last one they had and only just put it on display, but gave it to me nonetheless (they were like goldust and the price had just gone back up to £999!).

Anyway had it two weeks and recently discovered that the front AV didn't work, so called an engineer out last week who came and 'okayed' and gave me an exchange number which means I can (if they have stock) get a replacement or a refund (my choice).

If you're not familiar with the ZP46 it is a cut down version of the ZP48 - the 46 does not have the surround sound system and is now, according to Toshiba, discontinued.

Looking around the web I have found many places do the ZP48 for £899 (some even at £849) So I rang JL up who said they will pricematch at £900.

So should i get another zp46 if they have a brand new one or should I get the ZP48 for an xtra hundred quid but which will have a five year warranty, or, should I get a 42" Pannasonic Plasma at £1249! (but needs another £149 for a board to give scart inputs, which I could always get later on).

Thing is we're doing the house up and really shouldn't be spending so much! But choices!!

2. Chris Hedlund

Chris Hedlund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the choice will be made for you. I am pretty sure that the set is discontinued so Currys wont be able to get another.

As for the plasma I wouldnt bother. The technology can be very unreliable and almost impossible to repair. If you dont believe me then just ask the price of the 5 year cover.

So it might be JL for you.

3. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes good point re the Plasmas, although I wasn't aware they can be unreliable but the bit about them being expensive to fix is an important issue!

Looks like its the ZP48 then (when JL get them in stock!)

thanks for postin.

4. iansums

iansums

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

5. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I gave them a number of retailers with various prices: 899, 865, 849

I think the 849 was a mail order company that allowed u to pick up the item (based in Wigan i think). The £899 price was digital-point.co.uk if i remb rightly.

Check out this: http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/ctl/do/sort?pid=11173621&catId=127401&field=price

and ring them up first, ask which ones you can and cannot pick up from then only use those for JL. I think JL will add about £50 to the price as they'd argue it would cost you that much anyway for delivery which i guess is fair enough.

JL are out of stock at the moment tho and have been since b4 christmas. If they do agree a price match they will put you on their waiting list although they dont guarantee they will get them in.

6. iansums

iansums

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've been told the stock is due in today (01/02/05). Thanks for the info, will try to get JL to price match Digital-Point.

7. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i think only 75 were due in today (nationwide) and they have 160 on order...
    good luck and let us kno how u get on!

8. Nivelo

Nivelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iansums - I don't know if it has to do with stock but JL pricematched against both RGB and Sound & Vision when I bought my 36ZP48P & RDXS-32.

Don't know if this helps but it shows that it is possible, given the right circumstances.... :confused:

Andy

9. iansums

iansums

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I was told by JL that they no longer price match RGB or S&V, a decision on this was made late last year apparently. They told me this morning that they would also NOT match Digital-Point or TV & Video Direct. However they will do the TV for £1045 which when you take into account the free 5yr warranty will be only about £40 more than the cheapest on the web.

I'd like to know when you guys got your price match, it does seem to be a bit of a lottery.