1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do..?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by General Panic, Jul 12, 2004.

1. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi guys :hiya:
    Here's my situation and you peeps advice and opionions appreciated.
    Been on Freeserve broadband for about 2 years now on their 512kb service and been most happy for on-line (mainly PC) gameing.
    I pay £27.99 a month with no cap on download amount but thought i was about to be capped at 15gb a month in the near future so i thought about up-grading to their 1mb connection for £34.99 a month to benefit from faster connection and a 30gb cap for downloads.
    Turns out as an existing customer my 512mb connection will not be capped but if i up-grade to 1mb i will be treated as a new customer and have a monthly allowance of 30gb.
    If i could upgrade and have no cap i would do that but that's not an option.

What would you go for , more speed but a restriction on how much you could use it a month or slower speed but no worries on how much time you spend online?
    I know i said i was happy with my current speed but the thought of even more speed does sound very appealing.

Anyword words of wisdom? :lesson:

Panic

2. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I'd look at moving ISP's, preferably to a non capped company although I fear that capping will become more common over the next year.
    I'm with Wanadoo 1MB and although their speeds are excellent most of the time, you may find contention issues as they will still add you to a 50:1 line even with 1MB and beleive me it suffers.
    I had a much more stable connection on 0.5MB.

I don't know which of these are not capped off the top of my head but ISP's I'd consider would be Zen, Nildram, Plusnet, Pipex and Eclipse and they all offer pretty good 0.5 and 1MB deals.

Have a look here for links and info
    Adslguide

Best of luck :)

3. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I would switch ISP as well, although don’t forget some charge a migration fee.

I am with Eclipse and I don't have a cap. I have 1meg D/L & 256k up and have never had a problem or any connections and speed issues. And I think Spike has recommended the best candidates for you.

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Telewest do the fastest service (AFAIK) at 3Mb, I am very tempted to upgrade, but can't really justify the cost :(

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    With Nildram 512 here. Super fast, no cap and only £22.99 a month. Capping is likely to become an issue and I reckon the likes of Nildram, Zen, Eclipse and Plusnet will be the last to start booting people.

6. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cheers for the thoughts guys. I never actually thought of moving to someone else , that opens up a new set of possibilities. More research on that front called for.

Thanks

Panic

7. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Good luck mate.
    Let us know what you decide. :)

8. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  9. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I dont do capped. 30 gig is nothing especially when you are downloading files. In any event I use my connection for business and it gets a hell of a lot of use, alot more than 30 gig a month. I use NTL cable. Its cheap and no cap.

I would like to go up to 1 / 2 meg but its difficult to justify the cost.