What would you do?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Diapason, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi folks,

I recently bought a Pioneer 434 plasma, and I suspect my current DVD player (Harman Kardon DVD10) isn't getting the best out of it. It has no component connections, so I'm using RGB via scart.

The obvious upgrade would be to an 868 or 668, so I could utilise HDMI. Indeed, I had intended to do exactly that, but now I've decided I'm going to move house and I really need to save as much as I can. Spending 1000 Euro on a new DVD player isn't a viable option right now.

So, what should I do? Should I stick with the HK until I can afford to move to 868 land? Should I upgrade to a medium-priced player with prog scan for NTSC and PAL (something like a HK DVD25 or its replacement) and put off the purchase of an 868 for even longer? Are there cheaper alternatives that will give a good improvement (and progressive in both systems) without breaking the bank?

For what it's worth, I'm not *too* bothered about VCD, SACD, DVD-A or indeed CD playback. Picture quality is paramount here.

Any thoughts?

Si

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Wait. Then move house. Then see what's out there. New kit appears every week. You don't mention any specific failings of your current player, just a suspicion it isn't the best. This weeks great Pioneer is next week's junk most often in AV nowadays.

Hold-fire IMO. :)

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    You could invest in one of the cheapo DVI equipped DVD players, Momitsu or Yamakawa, and hook it up via a DVI/HDMI adapter. these players can be had for well under 200 euro. Build quality is not top notch but PQ is reputed to be good.

Do a search on this forum for further info. There is a thread which lists all the DVI/HDMI equipped players, what they cost and how they perform.