What would you do?

Reaction score
The dilema is that my partner and I have been invited to her cousin's 40th birthday party at Haigh Hall in Wigan, it's a ball gown and tuxedo affair.

She doesn't want me to take my camera because she says I will be going about taking pictures all night and not spend any time with her. There is probably a lot of truth in that.

There would be an opportunity for some good shots I think.

So would you:

A: Take your camera and try for the great shots and weather the storm later.

or

B: Not take your camera and sit all night sighing over the shots you have missed, but be in your loved ones good books.

The dilema is that my partner and I have been invited to her cousin's 40th birthday party at Haigh Hall in Wigan, it's a ball gown and tuxedo affair.

She doesn't want me to take my camera because she says I will be going about taking pictures all night and not spend any time with her. There is probably a lot of truth in that.

There would be an opportunity for some good shots I think.

So would you:

A: Take your camera and try for the great shots and weather the storm later.

or

B: Not take your camera and sit all night sighing over the shots you have missed, but be in your loved ones good books.

Take a discreet little point and shoot as a compromise?

as above or your option B.

Alternatively you could say to the cousin that you were were wondering if he/she would like you to take your camera to get some shots of the event for posterity, and can use that as the excuse to SWMBO, but you run the risk of being lumbered as an official 'tog and then having to take photos rather than just enjoying the event.

Of course, whatever you decide to do you will be wrong :devil:

John

The only point and shoot I have is a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T5, not the best camera in the world but it can take some decent shots.

I think that might be the best option, there are lots of woods around Haigh Hall and I dont fancy being buried in them :D

Put the camera away.

It's nice to be a normal human being occasionally. (Tough for me though).:D

B definately, keep in your partners good books, if they have gone to the trouble of a gown/tux affair i would presume they have got a decent photographer there as well, so should end up with a decent pic anyway, as well as the possibilities from your t5. Mike

I'd see if a compromise was possible, would she allow you to take some pics as people are arriving. Then you have to put the camera away until everyone has finished eating. Something like that?

As it's a formal event and you'll be all togged up (pun intended) then you've really gotta go all "007" and kit out with a Spycam - either up your sleeve or in your buttonhole :D

JIm

EDIT: - how about this ? ;)

http://www.habitek.co.uk/catalog/item738.htm

Last edited:
'B' or you could end up having the rest of your life in 'A'

Thanks guys, I'll leave it at home and just enjoy myself.

Good choice, its ONE night, there's 364 others to go and play;)

B

As photo opportunities go, it doesn't sound unmissable. And she has a good point. You may get a few brownie points that you can use for another shoot, but don't hold your breath.

Option A with tripod, full lighting gear, spare body, life preserver jacket (with pockets for ancilliary items), baseball cap on back-to-front and a t-shirt with 'dude' on the front (white on black) and in small writing underneath 'my tux is in the cleaners, so say 'cheese', a backdrop cloth and rail and a nametag with 'official photog' written in crayon on it.

Say you do weddings, birthdays, nude and Bar Mitzvahs, and hand out your business cards.

Yeah baby!

Last edited:
Option A with tripod, full lighting gear, spare body, life preserver jacket (with pockets for ancilliary items), baseball cap on back-to-front and a t-shirt with 'dude' on the front (white on black) and in small writing underneath 'my tux is in the cleaners, so say 'cheese', a backdrop cloth and rail and a nametag with 'official photog' written in crayon on it.

Say you do weddings, birthdays, nude and Bar Mitzvahs, and hand out your business cards.

Yeah baby!

Bravo Cap'n ! :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom