• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What would you do with this photo? (Elise @ Ironbridge)

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
I was driving through Ironbridge the other evening and it struck me that my car set in front of the iron bridge itself would make a nice photo.
So I parked, crossed the road, whipped out my iPhone and took this picture.
Of course it's not very good quality so I started having a play with some of the effects available to me in my imaging software and I started to wonder what other people would do with this to improve it or make it a bit artistic.
What would you do to improve this photo (aside from go back and take it again with a proper camera)?
:thumbsup:
20100627211000.jpg

PKW

Standard Member
i was experiment with the contrast, you have a very nice car by the way :)

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
To me the image is all about contrast...an old marvel of the industrial era juxtaposed with a modern vehicular masterpiece. So if it were my image I would want to try to help show the difference. To that mind I'd be inclined to process it to make it look like a late 1800's photo but with this modern car in the shot.....

RobDickinson

Prominent Member
I'd crop it so the loti sits on the left/bottom 3rd lines.

I'd fix the wb and up the exposure of the lower half and add contrast.

Then add some sky.

shotokan101

Banned
Think the first thing I'd do would be to drop down to a lower shooting position..... :D

...then I'd convert to mono - maybe a sepia with some desaturation - then add some grain effect.....

Jim

senu

Distinguished Member
clone out the bin, the bollards, the concrete and metal fence, the sign on the wall, and the manhole
Not a lot then?:laugh:

I agree the photo has a lot of potential although limited by starting quality and from the above comments can be " enhanced" in a few different ways

Stu, Do you mind if folk " have a go"?

PS: Nice ride...:cool:

Last edited:

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Thanks, everyone for the replies.
@gpa - nice work :)
To me the image is all about contrast...an old marvel of the industrial era juxtaposed with a modern vehicular masterpiece.
Yeah, that was my idea at the time.

Stu, Do you mind if folk " have a go"?

PS: Nice ride...:cool:
I would love people to have a go at improving/adding artistic effects. I struggled to know what to do with it myself.
I wonder how much better image I would have got with an iPhone 4 ;)

Re the car - yeah I'm lucky. Saved up for a decade.

OrbitalPete

Prominent Member
Well here's a quick 5 minute job. There's not a huge amount more you can do without applying effects filters which - personally - I thoroughly dislike :D

Increased exposure a little, ran some noise reduction, added blue tones to the sky, cloned out some of the clutter and cropped it to try and empahsize the subjects a bit more.

Ironbridge.jpg

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Thanks, everyone for the replies.
@gpa - nice work :)
Yeah, that was my idea at the time.

I would love people to have a go at improving/adding artistic effects. I struggled to know what to do with it myself.
I wonder how much better image I would have got with an iPhone 4 ;)

Re the car - yeah I'm lucky. Saved up for a decade.

Not sure it would have been much better with iPhone 4 Stuart...Just be able to print it out larger. I use my iPhone 3Gs almost exclusively. You can do pretty special stuff with it...I'll have a go at your shot later...

Sevelo: That middle one with the desaturated diffuse glow look is pretty coolio

shotokan101

Banned
I like that :smashin:

Jim

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
:rotfl:
Hey these are impressive. Fun, too. I wonder if there is any scope for a photo re-touching competition to run alongside the current competition?

shotokan101

Banned
pixelpixel very impressive i wonder if you could tell us beginners how you did it
Michael

It was all a bit random. :blush:

I made a copy of the image and then copied it.
Next I converted it to black and white.
Next I created a mask for the sky.
I did this the cheap and quick way. I inverted the black and white image and that gave me my sky mask.
I used one of my cloud images and that the sky was back.

attachment.php

Next I fixed the lighting on the car.

attachment.php

Now I blurred the back ground and did a mask on it. I masked the car and also the bridge.

attachment.php

Added another mask to add the colour.

attachment.php

Job done :).

Attachments

• step_1.jpg
    step_1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 253
  • step_2.jpg
    step_2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 229
  • step_3.jpg
    step_3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 271
  • step_4.jpg
    step_4.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 258

shotokan101

Banned
Thanks for the Mini-Tutorial :smashin:

Note to Self: ...really need to get to grips with Masks/Layers.... :facepalm:

Jim

Thanks for the Mini-Tutorial :smashin:

Note to Self: ...really need to get to grips with Masks/Layers.... :facepalm:

Jim

A mask is what it is. You don't see the mask bit. Just like when you wear a mask you don't see the face. I always get which way it goes mixed up but you can always flip it. :) It can only be white or black.

A layer is just that. When I first used Photoshop it had no layers :eek: You just build on the image that you are using. You can switch on or off a layer at any one time and you can blend layers into each other.

Try to do this they are fun ;)

shotokan101

Banned
Thanks for that - will have a go :)

Jim

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom