• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What would you do with this defective LCD TV ?

Jon Read

Established Member
I am thinking of upgrading my 37" Philips 37PFL5322D TV at some point soon, but it has a defect which is a rather annoying-at-times background shadow style fuzz on about 1/4 or slightly less of the screen, this is mainly noticable up close but also when say watching football or other times when there is a lot of clear background (like a football pitch or tennis court or light background). Due to my room size I often sit only 6ft away from it, so I notice it quite a bit. You wouldn't notice it most of the time if at a distance of 9ft or more, just when the background goes light with not much on screen. The place I got it from had a 3 year warranty but they went bust and the new buyers said it is now void as they didn't pick up that side of the companies assets.

Anyway, given it is only 720p and 1080i and given the price of TVs these days, I am unsure what to do with it. I wouldn't want to throw it away as that seems a waste and I am sure it is at least worth a small amount as it does work but with a defect, but at the same time it won't be cheap to post and I doubt I would get much for it, also it is hard to photograph which means people would have to come round to see if it is ok for them and that would be a bit of a hassle if lots turned it down. Also I have no rooms to put it in as any room that needs a TV has one.

So, what would you do if you were me ? Keep it in storage ? I have a shed, but it would take up a fair chunk of room. I could maybe try and video the screen with a camcorder to show people what it is like and then try and sell it somewhere "as described" or "working but with visible fault".

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom