• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What would you do? Subwoofer planning

jk330ci

Standard Member
Ok so iv posted multiple questions and I'm still no closer than I was 6 months ago.
So my question is what would you do regarding subwoofer placement design and overall system?
My room is an awkward 4.28m front to back x 4.66m wide. My sofa location will be 1m off the back wall. The room is (when finished l) fully soundproofed.
So should I use my two si ht18d4 to build two individual subwoofers to go opposite corners to try and get a decent response or build a dual opposed or dual forward firing under the screen and use my ma rsw12 up back to even out the response.
By having the two drivers in one box makes the amp decision a little easier, inuke 6000 would suffice, but separate subs means I can either go 2ohm or 8 ohm each, what amp would you go for depending on each layout? £600-700 ideally less than £500.
I will be having atmos/dts x ceiling speakers (monitor audio cp range) and hopefully xtz cinema series speakers, so based on that what avr £1k max.

jk330ci

Standard Member
Good question, my wife has no interest in sound but I suppose I'd want a reasonable response over a three seat sofa (not sure what we are going for in this regard corner or two three seaters

jk330ci

Standard Member
Would a cerwin vega cv5000 be overkill and a cv2800 be enough or is an inuke suited better. Don't want to run short on power

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
You mean 1 row of seats?

I think it is hard to argue that more than 1kW each is really required unless you are (dB) drag racing, no harm in MOAR of course but it is not the vfm option.

jk330ci

Standard Member
Yep one row of seats in a lounge come cinema. So if I do a dual cab I can have them showing a 4ohm load which is great, but if they are separate subs then I'm limited to either 2ohm or 8ohm.
I know the room is a little awkward so could I do the two si ht18 up front and use the monitor audio at the back opposite corner, I could let the anti mode eq that.

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
Sorry memory fail, were you thinking of building a seat in the bay window or was that someone else?

Can you get a sub to each side or not? Do you want to keep our MA sub or sell it to recoup some money?

My thinking is 2 ht18 boxes left and right, MA used for near field :)

jk330ci

Standard Member
I was toying with the idea of a window seat sub. Jameskatie looked at the room sim and said it would be best opposite each other. I think I'll keep the ma sub so could be used for near field.

chrisgeary

Prominent Member
With some cunning wiring, there is no reason why your 4 ohm target can't be achieved, regardless of where the subs are physically located, right?

jk330ci

Standard Member
If I could wire them together even though they were separate would make life a lot easier but if I need to eq and alter delays etc due to the different locations then I wouldn't be able to wire as one load.

jk330ci

Standard Member
Sorry memory fail, were you thinking of building a seat in the bay window or was that someone else?

Can you get a sub to each side or not? Do you want to keep our MA sub or sell it to recoup some money?

My thinking is 2 ht18 boxes left and right, MA used for near field :)
How near would near field be? 1m or less?

jk330ci

Standard Member
With me running my two si ht18 in separate enclosures I have the option to wire the d4 to 8ohm or 2ohm. So with this in mind would this amp be a better option than than a inuke 3000 running 2ohm or a inuke 6000 running 8ohm?
the t.amp Proline 3000 – Thomann Mobile
I'm getting myself quite confused about the best amp choice.

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
With me running my two si ht18 in separate enclosures I have the option to wire the d4 to 8ohm or 2ohm. So with this in mind would this amp be a better option than than a inuke 3000 running 2ohm or a inuke 6000 running 8ohm?
the t.amp Proline 3000 – Thomann Mobile
I'm getting myself quite confused about the best amp choice.
I can't think of a reason to go with the t.amp. The inuke is the obvious choice for that driver imv.

jk330ci

Standard Member
Right so i need to decide where everything is going and rew room sim has given me a rough idea but i want to do a rough measurement and see if i can make sense of it.
If i buy a umik can i connect from my headphone out socket directly to my subwoofer? or do i need to dig out my avr and connect it to my laptop via hdmi. room is far from complete so its just to give me an idea.
from what i can see in room sim 25% in on the front wall would be the best position giving me a peak at 40hz and a dip at 78hz

jk330ci

Standard Member
Yeah its detached house. Iv taken down the ceiling and installed a genie clip decoupled ceiling, just need to do the walls next. Hopefully the worst of the sound will be contained.

Atmos

Prominent Member
My HC is 15' away from the house and you can still hear the bass through two course of blockwork, through the ground and back out of the house brick. If anyone can soundproof against bass I'd love to know how.

I watch my movies at -12db on my AVR so average listening volumes. :smashin:

I reckon once you get your twin drivers fired up you'll hear the bass in every room in your house. You might want to buy your partner some ear defenders. :p

But hey when you're sat in the middle of the explosions who cares right? :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom