What Would You Do? Possible move of kit to below Projector Screen....

Jenz

Prominent Member
Solutions
Reaction score
So I have two new Subs arriving ( :D ) and as a result have begun to think about my Room. It's 12ft 8in long and 8ft 10in wide. My Projector Screen is mounted on the front wall. Looking like this (albeit old Sub)

The Projector is on a tall cabinet against the rear wall with the AVR, Shield, NAS and UHD Player all inside the cabinet. You can see the Cabinet and setup here. All cabling goes into the rear of the AVR at the back of the room.

Now the new Subs are going to go on the front wall, likely in each front corner. This will mean that I place my L and R Speakers on each of them and will remove the XTZ Speaker Stands. This puts me in the odd position of having one Speaker Stand.

Now the thing that irritates me in my current set up is that my AVR and UHD Player is behind me and therefore with the remotes I need to do some sort of bizarre bend around backwards and point and wish for the best when changing anything :mad:

So I have been considering this:
  1. Buying a 120cm x 64cm black Besta Unit and putting it in the middle of the front wall.
  2. Putting the Centre Speaker on top of this unit.
  3. Rewiring my Speakers and having all cabling going into the AVR at the front of the room in the Besta.
  4. Move AVR, Shield, NAS and UHD Player into Cabinet.
  5. Making sure I have the smoked glass doors so light from AVR and devices is minimal.
  6. Make sure all devices LED's are set to Dim.
  7. I would/could then remove the rear cabinet and wall mount the projector.
I'm wondering if anyone is doing similar (and photos appreciated) or whether it's been tried and then you thought it was a bad idea. I know I'd be losing the "just a screen in front of me" but I don't really have that as my speakers and Sub are already there. This isn't really an issue as the room is very, very black and they can't really be seen as shown here.

I'm basically trying to decide if my usability will improve and I'll also release some valuable space at the rear of the room?

If you have the funds, buy a Harmony Ultimate or Elite Remote and leave everything where it is. No bending backwards required.

Sorry didn't mean that reply to sound quite as flippant as it did when I read it back. I have the same situation as you - screen to the front and equipment in the rear and the Harmony has been a god-send.

Agree with @steelman1991 , leave your rack where it is and get a harmony.

Too much hassle moving a rack around.

My rack is behind me, if starting again I would actually have it outside of my room completely.

You can also get a wired IR extender, with single or multiple transmitters. I have all my AV gear (except projector/screen/speakers obviously) in another room, with IR receiver in the ceiling above screen wired to IR repeater with transmitter mounted in front of all the gear.

I agree with the Harmony solution: IMHO rack out of the room or behind, but never in front with a projector as even dimmed LEDs will be distracting and you'll never get a total fade to black.

Best thing I did was move my rack out of the room; no LEDs and I don't care that my sub amps have noisy fans.

I have all my equipment in some Ikea "top of oven" kitchen cabinets that were only 40cm tall and up to 60cm deep (I shortened mine a little). They fit under the screen well, and I built an upholstered foam and wadding "pad" to top the cabinet with black microvelvet type material covering it. The end result is you can barely ever see there is anything there, and when I want to get into the back of the kit I just whip the pad off and can grab cables from the top instead of having to go through the units.

Some pics here, I'll try and get an up to date pic with the pad in place.

A few piccies of a reasonably well executed front of room gear cabinet. No light leakage from gear, top of cab non reflective, basically disappears in use.
I will say though that if my room was bigger, and I had easy access to the back of the room, and the rack wouldn't be too close to the MLP, I would probably have a rack there though instead. As it is I can't get round the sofa without doing acrobatics and any rack would be about a foot away from my ears there!

A few piccies of a reasonably well executed front of room gear cabinet. No light leakage from gear, top of cab non reflective, basically disappears in use.
I will say though that if my room was bigger, and I had easy access to the back of the room, and the rack wouldn't be too close to the MLP, I would probably have a rack there though instead. As it is I can't get round the sofa without doing acrobatics and any rack would be about a foot away from my ears there!
Thanks so much, this was incredibly helpful and looks great. I have exactly the same problem not enough breathing space behind my chairs due to the rack.

My room is pretty snug as well and I have double and single Besta units at the front for the kit with a second sub behind my couch.

AED308F5-456B-42BF-AB19-7C037A489EA9.jpeg
C299D482-7798-47DE-87FD-0593640C643D.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom