What would you do in this scenario? 3x PB10 or 2x PB12 Plus?

J

javers

Hi All,

I'm new to the sub forum so go easy on me :D Attached is a pic of the front of my work in progress HT, screen is 8ft wide and room is approx 12ft x 15ft with carpeted floor and walls.

I'm looking to add some decent subs, and after hearing my mates SVS, decided on going down that road. I plan to listen at or near reference level so I want a lot of Bass. After reading the stuff here, using multiple PB10's has some appeal because they are front firing and I can therefore cut holes at the bottom of my front and recess the subs back flush, where as the BP12 plus's would have to sit out in the room on each side (not visually as appealing).

So my question is (giving my room) what would you guys recommend? Is having three woofers overkill / or just a bad idea?

Jon

Attachments

J

javers

No can't say I do need stereo from the subs, only thing about having one plus/2 is that the room won't look symmetrical because the sub will be at one side or the other. How do you think one plus/2 would fair up against 3x pb10's? as the price is very similar.

Jon

Ian J

Banned
I agree with Marek and feel that a single Plus/2 would suit you and would be far easier to integrate with your speakers than a pair or even three subwoofers.

These subs are engineered to provide clean bass at reference level in American sized rooms and should have no problems in the relatively small rooms in the average British house.

J

javers

Ok thanks for the info, I really had my heart set on having a symmetrically laid out room, but if the Plus/2 is my best performance option then I guess I may have to abort that idea or i could always build a fake box to sit on the other side to balance the look. :D Is there any hope that the pb10's would work? I appreciate it would take some fine tuning to get the phasing correct, but in an ideal world id like to avoid having a large box / boxes sitting out in my room.

Jon

PJTX100

Unfortunately what is aesthetically and logistically optimum isn't always sonically optimum.

But the real reason I'd advise against you getting 3 PB10's is that I'd be jealous as **** :D

[ edited for bad language by Ian J ]

[re-edited by PJ to keep the impact but remove the bad language - Ian you spoilsport :D ]

kbfern

Distinguished Member
You may even be able to locate a PB12 plus sub in the centre of the room under the centre speaker, if its has enough clearance to accomodate the sub underneath.

A 12 plus should have enough output in a room your size that you do not need to locate it in the corner to boost the output.

Dankeech

javers said:
What would you do in this scenario? 3x PB10 or 2x PB12 Plus?

Bleed from the ears lol?

J

javers

Dankeech said:
Bleed from the ears lol?
haha, that was the plan. My current sub is a useless old thing i've had for years so this time I want to make sure I get it right. Kbfern nice tip about going under the centre speaker, I'll measure up when i get home from work tonight and see if thats a possiblity.

Jon

juniper

Hi - I have a PB12/Plus 2 in a room which is approximately twice your size, and can tell you (IMHO :) ) that it will give you all the bass you will ever need in a 12x15 room. Put it out in the open (I have mine between centre and right), and also be prepared to experiment with moving it around to find the best position (but bring a friend with you to lift it, they weigh over 10 stone :eek: ). Then just enjoy the thing - the impact and sound will overcome issues such as symmetry!

Just my 2p :)

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Remember that you can also make the PB-12 Plus/2 forward firing - just remove the base and lay it on its side. I seem to remember some people doing this on AVS and I don't think (but don't quote me) that it affected the performance.

Timbo21

Recessing the PB10's might look good, but you don't know how they will sound - what if they sounded terrible there? If you've got one PB12/plus2 you can experiment moving it around.

Also the PB12/plus2 has (obviously) better amp/components etc. I'm sure all the experienced subwoofer members would agree 1 X upmarket sub is better than 3 X budget models: I may be wrong?

T.

J

javers

OK think you guys have convinced me to set my sights higher than the PB10's, which leaves me to decide between two PB12+'s or a single PB12+/2. Quite a big difference in money just to get my room looking symmentrical. Smurfin I like the idea of making a PB12+/2 front firing, guess i could then recess it into my front but would have to move my centre above the screen. What is the general feeling of having a centre above the screen, good / bad idea?

Jon

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Personally I wouldn't Jon, looking at your pic it will be close to the ceiling and way above head height....might be worthwhile getting someone to hold it up there while you have a listen...

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Don't know whether you should be using any ported subs in a situation where the ports are restricted (by building it into a wall/structure as you are looking at doing) without determining how it will effect the sound.The PB10 port are front firing so would not be a problem,all other SVS boxes are rear ported and usually need breathing room.

I realise that the void behind the sub may give it the breathing room it needs but I should contact SVS direct and ask their views on this before comitting to purchase.

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme