What would you do in my shoes?(buying a Wii)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by Tetlee, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,818
    Hi all,

let me start by saying that out here in Argie, electronics(imported ones especially) are very expensive, much more so than in the UK, not only that but they are very much behind in getting new technologies into the shops(most tvs here are still 4:3:rolleyes:).

Anyway, stolling through the city centre today on the way home & what did we see in one of the small game shop windows....a Wii:eek:

Popped into the store & had a chat with the friendly shopkeeper in there, price is $1750 Pessos which would equal around £300 for the console + Wii Sports, also includes stepdown convertor as it's the US Wii and out here we share UK voltage. You need to buy an aditional game though which brings the price to £340 all together.

Now that might sound an insane price for a Wii, but the fact I can walk into a shop & buy the thing is really tempting me now. The thing is out here these things will not be mainstream and drop in price out here, even the PS2 is still around £200 with the Xbox360 at closer to £500 when coverted to pounds.

I was tempted to import one but with the size of the package I'm almost certain to run into import taxes which are very high & complicated out here so this is alot safer really(we learnt the hard way with importing when we moved out here, now I do buy games etc. imports but tend to stick with jiffy bag size items that drop through the post).

So, no doubt bored you enough with the details there but all I wanted really was a few opions from people who own the console to know if they were in my shoes:

Would you be buying at this price thinking, what the hell, no import hasstles & IN STOCK!!

or

Would you be saying, "are you insane, over £300 for a Wii!!"

Funny, I never thought I'd be considering paying that kind of money but as I can just walk out & pick one up, it's just sooo tempting.

Oh, and how are you finding Wii Sports now, getting bored yet or is it a bit of a classic keeper?

2. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    I've played on the wii for about an hour-ish. it is quite involving, extremely interactive. I wouldnt pay £300 for one though, i'll be annoyed if my little brother gets bored of the wii after spending only £180 for it, let alone £300!

3. dudesweet

dudesweet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If you wait is there any chance of you getting hold of one cheaper e.g. fmaily bringing you one over when they come to see you?

If so then it may be best to wait. Otherwise if the price isn't going to go down by much then you have nothign to lose by getting it now. If you can't get it cheaper and you are unlikely to move in the next few years - enjoy it now while you can!

4. C225

C225

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    If were you and was wanting one i would just buy from the shop as there would be no hassel with importing and deliveries and you have it in your hand. Expensive yes but you would have it and not be worrying about is it stuck in customs, where is it etc etc

Also i am still really enjoying wii sports and i think i will still be playing it for a while to come.

5. mutamist

mutamist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    We have Wii Play and Rayman and we've played nothing but Wii Sports so far - such a great game to play with the wife, I can't get enough of Wii bowling. I'm a bit of an impulse buyer so I'd probably buy it from the shop and enjoy it over Christmas.

6. waterloo

waterloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If you can afford it buy it people have been paying more than that on ebay maybe you can do a deal with the bloke in the shop.

7. Cowden_harley

Cowden_harley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    yep tetlee, I know you love games. My mate has one, most people on here that have them also say that its about the gamer. Its involving its fun and it can only get better too. Remember you would have to register a us cc to get wii points online or get relatives to buy you them and scratch the code off for you.

8. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    How much would the import fees be? More than £100?

9. dodger747

dodger747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    It sounds good in the context but how is the after sales service and support?

There hasn't been much on Wii's failing like the 360 but if it does happen will you have a 12 month guarantee?

However, if the import duties are that much of a hassle I'd be tempted to buy it from the store...:thumbsup:

10. wardi

wardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I think it sounds like the way to go, no chance of hassle when trying to get it into the country.

No point in waiting to see if prices change as you point out other consoles have not changed in price really.

If you can happily afford it go for it, as someone else said Wii Sports is entertaining enough so buy a game next months wage!!

:clap:

11. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,818
    Thanks for the opinions everyone, always get good advise from here, lol even if I do tend to listen more to what I want to read;)

The gaurantee is gonna be a tricky thing here whatever, any Wii consoles here will have been imported from US so the gaurantees are based there(so sending back if fault arrises I guess). I asked in the shop about gaurantee & they confirmed my suspitions on this one.

I'm not sure when will be the next family/friends visit but I'm guessing september next year or around then so quite a way off. It is tricky of you want one in this country, I could take a chance on importing one, but it's a very complicated issue here & if I do get caught for taxes I suspect they would be very high, not to mention paperwork that could be involved, they really do their best to discourage importing of goods here, I guess to help the econamy grow back which it is doing very well considering how it apparently was a few years ago.

Well, I'm gonna give it a whole lot of thinking tonight, I just sold my PSP for a pretty good price so having that cash sitting here doesn't help temptation:) .

Thanks for the comments about Wii Sports, I would probably be having just that one for a while as although I have to buy another game from the shop, they said I can order one special and I don't fancy any of the 3 they have in stock(Red Steel, Rampage & GT Racer or whatever it's called). I hope Wii Sports is reasonably playable taking in turns with 2 players as we'll only have one WiiMote to start with.

If I do get the thing, I wonder what other game to order, thinking maybe Trauma Centre seeing as I haven't played the DS one. What's the favourite single player game after Zelda(as I've never really been into Zelda...I know:rolleyes: )? Quite fancy trying a shooter like CoD3 but I have that still wrapped for the 360 so perhaps not the best idea. Rayman is also getting good opinions here but how long do those mini games hold there apeal I wonder?

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    It's a brilliant console, in your position i'd probably go for it if I had the money spare. Zelda is fantastic, Sports is a great laugh and works very well, Play is OK and great value considering you get a Wiimote with it and I really like Red Steel - oh and Rayman is also a class game and works really well with the wiimote.

13. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,285
    Well with what you have said mate i would go for it. Especially if its like you say and hardware doesnt reallly drop in price!
    You also wont have the hassle of importing and also waiting for the damn thing!
    Yes £300 may seem like a lot of money but trust me when i say that you will soon realise that its money well spent!
    Its a great console!

14. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,818
    Don't think this would be a problem as VG+ sell the points cards & even email you the code so nice & quick.

Just weighing up all the extra essentials now, bit of a bugger as I can see I need quite a few for this console, component cable essential(but maybe the play-asia cheapie will tide me over), extra controller & nunchuk, points card....

How well does Wii Sports play with 2 players & one controller you lot? Obviously Tennis won't shine but I guess games like Bowling should be ok taking turns?

One thing, at least I already bought a 1gig SD card the other day for just over a fiver delivered(to UK), haha, bought it ready as I knew I'd be getting a Wii at some point, can't resist a bargain.

Think if I buy the console I'll try to order Wii Play as the additional game(if they can get it, they hadn't heard of that one) for the simple fact it comes with the Wii Remote & that's one item more likely to get caught for import tax if sent through the post, where as games are usually fine due to their size.

Only just realised it's Christmas this weekend:eek: Damn hard to accept it when it's roasting hot summer. That does encourage me even more, Wii Sports on Christmas day could be just the ticket...it's looking as though the purchase is becoming very likely:)

Bit of a bonus aswell, just noticed that YesAsia have Trauma Centre for just over £25 delivered, one of the games I really like the looks of.

Thanks again for all the advise!

Lee.

15. milkmanchris

milkmanchris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Lee

Buy it mate.

Ive not had so much fun 'learning' a new system.

Sports will have you playing for hours, and aching for even longer.

As you say your probably looking at £300+ to import one from the UK.

Good luck if you decide, and seasons greetings to you fella

16. mutamist

mutamist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    The wife and I played bowling for hours with just one remote - we have a second with Wii Play but just got so into the bowling we forgot to open the box and get it! We also played Wii Golf with just one remote - both of these are one person at a time games so unless you are really impatient, one controller is fine.

17. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,818
    Might be going out & buying it this afternoon, just spoke to my gf & she's very supportive which is a surprise as she's commented a few time on how much money I waste on games lately......I know what you're thinking WASTE:nono:

Anyway, think I better get the thing while the support is strong as it's always nicer buying something expensive when your other half isn't rolling her eyes as you pass over the money;)

Anyone know if the VC games(or any of the Wii games for that matter, apart from the obvious Cube games) can be played using Wavebirds? Hoping so as I don't like the looks of the Classic controller & it would save me buying one as I already have 4 wavebirds.

18. kez

kez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,352
    you can use GC controllers for VC games. but not vice versa.

another advantage of the US Wii is the progressive option for cube games, and non-crippled VC

19. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,818
    Thanks, although I'm not too sure what you mean by not vice versa:confused:

Yep, that will be a bit of a bonus, most of my Gamecube games are NTSC anyway as I have the component cable for my Cube, think I only have one PAL game left(Fire Emblem) gonna try it with freeloader just incase. Also getting US games released ahead of the PAL versions will be nice.

20. C225

C225

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    I think he means you can use GC controllers for VC games but you cant use the classic controller for GC games

21. Unluckypixie

Unluckypixie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  22. wardi

wardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25

Probably quite reasonably, depending on what you are after but doesnt solve this issue for Tetlee as we are back to the import/export issues of getting the Wii into Argie ;)

23. Gold Feet

Gold Feet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If youve got the money, buy it and enjoy it now!

We happily paid £300 12 years ago for the PS1, and people have been paying that kind of money to import US Wiis over here.
    Plus you are supporting your local supplier rather than blowing all the money on postage and duty costs and ebay fees etc

24. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,818

Yeah, fair comment, I remember paying 270 for my PS2 six months after launch(only to see it drop in price by 70 pounds 3 weeks later:rolleyes: ).

Guess we all got a bit spoilt with the 360 as that really was unbelievable value for money with what you got in the premium package(although of course that´s a seperate debate).

We´re planning to go pick the thing up a little later, have to wait until our air conditionaer gets delivered first so hope that doesn´t arrive too late.

Once we have it I think I´ll take a chance on the cheapie component cable from playasia as I don´t fancy forking out for an official one of those on top of what I´ll already have spent. Just hope it doesn´t show too much of a stepdown from my Gamecube official component cable on the NTSC Gamecube games, will be comparing those as soon as I get the cable.

Thanks again all for the advise, always helps:smashin:

25. kez

kez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,352
    in that you can't use the classic controller (or any wii controller for that matter) to play gamecube games

26. kez

kez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,352
    oh, and for the record, your freeloader will work fine on a US machine :smashin:

27. BuFF DaDDy

BuFF DaDDy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Get it Tetlee mate, you won be disapointed and you said you already have the Mrs on your side thats half the battle!

Im yet to tell mine that my PS3 in on order and will 'hopefully' be here in March but sensible me is leaving that till after Christmas or I might just pop the seed when shes p1$$ed, that way she cant tell me I didnt tell her!:D

28. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,818
    lol, aint that the truth!:rotfl:

Hahaha, good idea there mate, I'd have tried that tactic if she wasn't already clearly keen on the idea of a Wii;)

Anyway, been out & bought it:clap: Just set the thing up & now doing a download update.....woohooooo!

Rather than get another game with the console I took an extra controller instead(they couldn't get Wii play), so it's just Wii Sports for now, but at least two player tennis!

Right then....back to work:D

BTW, we've already had two guests just turn up after my gf told them about the Wii, haha, here we go.

29. Unluckypixie

Unluckypixie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would be about £15 for international delivery :thumbsup: The site would tell you the exact amount when you checkout (sorry, not trying to blatently advertise but you asked!).

30. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,818
    £15 for a Wii bundle delivered to Argentina! I would very much doubt that:eek:

Thanks for the tips but as wardi mentioned, it wouldn't have helped my import tax complications when the thing arrived here. Small packages through the letterbox are fine but I learnt the hard way on receiving big boxes out here:rolleyes:

Anyway, I have it now & will put the price I payed behind me, easy to do after the fun we had playing the thing tonight! Two player Tennis was fantastic, and then when everyone else retired I had a blast fighting it out with Boxing, never sweated so much in front a console, haha, great fun.

Really glad I had all the recommendations in this thread, think this was a very good purchase & although expensive, hasstle free which is worth more than money sometimes out here:)

Will probably be ordering Trauma Centre next, only £25 delivered from YesAsia for the US version and looks like a bit of a gem.

Was really chuffed to see the weather forecast thing works for my city here aswell, pretty surprised when I saw Rosario on the map.....Scorchio:laugh:

Looking forward to testing out the Opera browser tomorrow.