What would you buy?

BAN5HEE

I wanted to get a Plasma but am now leaning towards projectors more and more. What would you guys suggest to buy with a budget of £1200 - £1800?
HDMI is a must as I have a 868AVi and that was the sole reason I bought it. I'm leaning towards DLP but I won't overlook LCD. Also room size is not an issue.

Member 14847

Have you had the chance to look at a DLP projector? If not the try too, just in case you see the rainbow effect.

At this stage of the game you should be looking at HDReady. At the moment the number of HDReady DLP projectors within your budget is a little limited....

BAN5HEE

I was going to spend £3000 on getting the Pioneer 506 but then thought I could spend half of that on a projector and get bigger pictures. So I won't cry if the budget goes over the "Budget" a bit if you know what I mean :D

247AV.com

With the budget you are looking at, you can easily pick up a Sanyo Z4 or the Epson EMP-TW600 projectors. Both are very good home cinema projectors.

In my opinion - if you are looking at a day to day use as a TV then a Plasma might be easier to use option for you as well as the rest of the family.

Certinaly with a projector you have a bigger view and more of a cinema effect!

FlyingBig

Standard Member
BAN5HEE said:
I was going to spend £3000 on getting the Pioneer 506 but then thought I could spend half of that on a projector and get bigger pictures. So I won't cry if the budget goes over the "Budget" a bit if you know what I mean :D
Not only do you get double the size in picture but double the quality without the side effects of plasma ;) Wise choice. I am looking at the BenQ 7700 myself and it has hdmi and it is HD ready, i have read it has a poor onboard deinterlacer but thats not an issue as long as you feed it a progressive image either via your xbox/360/Sky HD/PC

wyrdness

Hi fairy woman*,

There's two new projectors about to come out - the Sony HS60 and the Mitsubishi HC3000, both of which should be extremely good. UK prices aren't known yet, but I'd guess around £2000.

* I was just having a conversation with my partner about the word Banshee. It's a phonetic spelling of Bean Sidhe, which is Irish Gaelic for fairy woman.

jriihi

Standard Member
Well if you really need tv or watch lot of tv then get plasma. If you mainly watch movies/hdtv then get projector. Best solution is get both ;) Something like 37" plasma for tv and 100" screen+projector for movies etc. I live alone and projector is best solution for me.

Here is some info about projector vs lcd vs plasma:
http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/big_picture_main.htm

BAN5HEE

Thanks for all the replies guys! Yeah BAN5HEE is also my gamertag for my XBOX. :D

Knyght_byte

sevenoaks still doing (i think) an Infocus 7205 refurb for a little over £2.5k, very nice picture, HD ready, if you dont suffer rainbows too much then its well worth it....and the bonus is if you get it thru sevenoaks as a refurb unit, you get 3 years Gold Warranty, which gives you next business day onsite replacement while its hauled away to repair (or if totally knackered i guess you keep the replacement).....
i actually use mine for DVD's, TV, even use it as my main computer screen....lol
it does mean im racking up bulb hours, over 300 now i think, but tbh i dont care, even if i end up only getting 1.5 years a bulb, its sooooo much more fun doing stuff on the PJ than a TV or monitor....heh
oh and in winter its useful cuz it chucks out heat, so you can lower your gas bill...lol

BAN5HEE

Well I guess the best would be to go and demo some of them. I would like to use it for TV so I don't know. Plasma...projector...plasma...projector Garaaaarghh...

S

Shadow Jam

definetly pj. even if you got a new bulb every year (which is very unlikely) the amount you would spend on replacement bulbs, for its size and quality is well worht it.

you said you were going to spend £3000....

just get a Z4 and a couple of spare bulbs, it will keep you happy for a few years then...

In my experience thats how long my tv's last before conking out anyway.

S

stallpot

I have seen the HC3000 and Z4 working right next to each other.

The HC3000 is the better machine (<£1800)

Its a very good machine well worth the extra spend over the Z4.

DLP is back in the race. :clap:

jriihi

Standard Member
Yeah HC3000 has better black level and more so in dark scenes if you and who ever will be watching it dont suffer from rainbow effect :)

Knyght_byte

but dont forget the 7205 refurb, that way you get the next day on site replacement if it does break down....heh...otherwise you might be without a telly for a while if you have to do a RTB for another manufacturers warranty....lol

i think that was what pretty much nailed it for me....knowing how sometimes (not always) RTB can take forever and an age to get the item back to you (my experience in this mostly from computers) i liked the idea of straight replacement.....

however for the money its possible newer models will look better.....and be a bit cheaper.....by how much i wouldnt like to say....i've only demoed infocus and Sim2....

oh and a Themescene, cant remember which model now tho...

S

stallpot

HC3000 and rainbows. I saw two in 1.5 hours viewing playing material deliberately picked to excite raindows. My observations would lead me to beleive that they are smaller and far less frequent that before.

I saw one on vaders helmet, very small though. But not one in the light saber duel at the end of jedi. I am not massively effected by rainbows anyway so each will have to make their own decision on this piont. :lesson:

Knyght_byte

i saw blatent rainbow on the dream sequence of padme giving birth, you know, where its a monochromatic image with a circle of white lines branching away from her that are slowly oscillating? wow, literally saw around a quarter of the image a perfect rainbow...heh

dont usually see any unless i very quickly swing my eyes left to right, but damn was this one obvious...lol

stricko

I'm looking for a PJ in the same price bracket for a dedicated, but very tiny cinema room. I've got a mximum throw of 3.3 metres and I'm looking for an image 6-7 ft wide. As the room is so small noise is also a consideration.

I'm hearing votes for the HC3000, but what else should I be looking at?

S

stallpot

I would not altogether discount the Z4 or the panny 900 before you demo them. There only real weakness as far as I can tell is black levels, if you dont see them side by side with the HC3000 you may be more than happy with one of those and they are a little cheaper.

I beleive that there are several new DLPs on the horizon from optoma, infoucs and Benq. Optoma's offering will be the H72, there are some mentions of it on other threads, but I havent heard many hard facts about it yet.

There is also a new Sony LCD, I have heard some talk of it have a fourth panel to help control black levels. Youll have to do some diggin around to find some facts.

Top Bottom