What would you buy?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by g478fny, Dec 7, 2004.

1. g478fny

g478fny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a newbie to dvd recording and need some direction as to which budget recorder to buy. I have only got £200 maximum to spend so would like to spend it as wisely as possible. I am considering the following: Philips dvdr70, Lite on LVW 5006, Panasonic DMR55EBS, Toshiba DR1, Ellion DVR900 or Philips DVR610. Essentialy this recorder will be a replacement for my VCR and dvd player, however the ability to edit the discs on my PC is a priority (I don't have a dvd ram drive on my PC). Could someone tell me which of the machines listed would be the better choice and why (in newbie terms) please.

2. watersa@ntlworl

watersa@ntlworl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure many of those are well over £200? the Panasonic is generally £249.99 for example, unless you have a Costco card or a mate with one?
    I got mine for only £164 on special but it is still sub £200 at Costco & DVD RAM discs are only £13.60 for 10 compared to £29.99 on the highstreet.
    The Panasonic is excellent.

Oh & BTW I have a 12 mth old LG DVD rom drive on my PC & it reads DVD RAM OK

3. g478fny

g478fny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply, all of the machines listed above are available for under £200 on Amazon uk. Like most newbies I won't really know what I want to do with my recorder until I get it and the more I try to investigate the more confused I get.

4. monocrider

monocrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I'd save up for a bit longer and buy a machine with a hard disc - the difference in functionality is massive.

Regards,
    John

5. gpward

gpward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming that you don't want to wait 18+ months for HDD-equipped machines to halve in price, here goes:

In my opionion: Pioneer (DVR-220H), Panasonic and Toshiba are all good. Philips ones seem to be a love/hate thing, so perhaps a more risky choice. The less established brands would also be more risky choices. By "risky" I mean a greater risk of regretting your choice.

Panasonic use DVD-RAM which won't play on most computer DVD drives and domestic DVD players. The Pioneer and Panasonic machines are available multi-region: I don't know if the Toshiba ones are.

I also recommend downloading the manuals (search Google) to see what the menus are like: see which you prefer.

Good luck!

6. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Its a bloody nightmare :eek: tryin to pick the right one :smashin: all have good :smashin: and bad points :thumbsdow it was easyer to pick a vcr :clap: than a dvd recorder :zonked: as there was only one format to chose from .
    Now the manufacturers cant make there mind up which format to chose, :confused: im lookin for a DVD recorder and its doin me head in tryin to pick one :zonked:

7. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you do a search on this forum you will see various opinions as to what people think is the best machine, hopefully this will help you come to the right decision. Amazon are not always the cheapest so I would look at some of the other online retailers before handing over the cash.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    If you can provide answers to the following you can easily create an ideal shortlist of machines:
    - What sources do you want to record from? (VHS, Analogue TV, Sky Digital, Sky+, Freeview, NTL, Betamax)
    - Do you need iLink? (for digital camcorder)
    - Do you want PC/SD Card slots? (for Digital Cameras)
    - Is this going to be your 'main' DVD player?
    - Will you want to play your daily timeshifted recordings in a second DVD player? If so what make/model is it?
    - What TV/screen do you have?

9. The Pink

The Pink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a newbie too, just bought a philips dvr610 for my mum for xmas because she liked the look of it, and it fell in that "around £200" cat. Its going back on Friday the clock gains 30mins everyday and the picture keeps switching from ext and back again for about 2/3 seconds at a time, gets right on ya pip. Apparently its a very common problem with no sure fire cure. So its not just a case of picking the one you like the look of.

10. richiecas

richiecas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am in a similar situation. I want to replace my VCR and DVD player and I am trying to decide which to go for between Sony GX300 or Panni E55 as I have read a lot of bad things about the philips products. I have a philips DVD player and to be honest my xbox give better playback quality than it. I am limited on what I can get my hands on as I am in Ireland and some of the websites won't ship here. I am still leaning towards the sony as the RW disks are more compatible in other DVD players and after reading a review in last month's what hifi and vision magazine on budget recorders it seems to provide the best playback also.

11. rocketroger

rocketroger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i finally bought the SONY RDR-GX700 for £304-45 multi region including delivery, I have been looking to buy one for many weeks and came to the conclusion that it had to be the SONY. I know its a bit expensive and there are cheaper ones out there but a SONY is SONY...and what you pay for is what you get..Ive got me TW digi box hooked up to the machine and have recorded at all the levels it suggests even 6 hours and the recording is very good at this very long time span, it is superb at 1hr, 1.5hr, 2hrs and 3 hrs, ive left it set at 3hrs and this accomodates most of my needs...
    there are a few points that idont like about the recorder and they have got othing to do with the performance, and they are:

1) to record via the remote you have to use both hands, one to hold the remote and the other to slide open the cover so you can get at the record buttons, a bit silly i think.

2. the clock and date digits are very small and hard to see at a distance.

3. the dvd tray seems to be not closed properly, even when it is, apparently it is designed this way and my first thought when i saw this was that the tary was faulty.

4. initial load up and opening of the dvd tray are a bit long.

apart from that nothing else.

i would be greatful for any further comments or reviews about this dvd recorder,

12. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    It depends on how much you hate hassle and failures. The LiteOn and Philips are risky (you might get a good one but lots of people haven't). The Panasonic is a good machine if you really want DVD-RAM. The one machine missing from your list that's up there with the Panny is the Pioneer 220-S (£170 Richer Sounds, which leaves you a few quid to buy decent Scart leads from CableUniverse - the premium scarts are a sensible £8 or so). It doesn't have DV inputs for digital camcorders but it does have chase play, full editing facilities in -RW VR mode, as well as custom fitting of recordings into the available space on the disc. It's a very good machine for that price.
    Oh yes, don't forget to buy good quality discs (I use Verbatim DVD-RW from SVP and get a great deal, great service and no coasters).

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    For reference the Toshiba DR3 has replaced the DR1 now. To assist with the basic questions relating to DVD recorder purchase myself and JamesL have compiled this guide on the subject. It's not exhaustive but it does answer all the basic FAQs.

14. kb24

kb24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found the lite on 5006 to be excellent,had ir since Christmas to replace broken VCR- bug free - easy to use. Unlike VCR you have to give dvd a chance to read for a minute or so (as you do on a computer) before recording. sells around £160 but does not do dvd ram (time slip)recording. records well on +,-, both R and RW. Picture and sound quality much better than VCR