What would you buy?

Matt3005

Standard Member
Reaction score
If you had £500 to spend on a home cinema system starting from nothing what woult you choose? and why?

SONY STRDG820-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc. Because it does all i need it too at a great price,
£229.95

TANNOY CUSTOM-F1 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc. I dont know why realy i just like them and reviews are realy good. £89.95

OR

TANNOY SFX5.1-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

£199.95

I'd rather have a 5.1 set-op from day one so the Tannoy SFX5.1. I'd then replace the front stereo pair at a later date or add a better pair in order to make the speakers up to 7.1 ;)

Either that or spend £30 more than my budget and get the Tannoy HTS100 AV Speaker Package at a discouned price:
http://www.hyperfi.co.uk/default.aspx?CategoryID=406&ItemID=Tannoy_hts100

again, adding better fronts at a later date.

Last edited:
I would be tempted to get the Cambridge Audio 540R for £250. This I think is a better sounding amp than the Sony but does not decode the HD formats (although it does have analogue inputs so can get HD formats with the right player).
I would also look at the KEF 1005 5.1 package (see if you can get a demo of both this and the Tannoy to see which you prefer- also do the same with the amps).

well i went with the Onkyo TX-SR606 which is being setup for me on friday so i will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. :)

P.S i got B&W 603 S2's to start with and will add a center then a sub later on on the near future i hope.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom