What would you buy if you won the lottery. £145m up for grabs

gava

An awful lot of the hifi budget would go to building a perfect room. Acoustically and aesthetically, with that much money it would need to satisfy both requirements.

It would need to be a fairly large space too, with high ceilings, immediately most normal hifi equipment designed for smaller spaces would be ruled out.

I would definitely want to hear the flagship Avantgarde stuff.

sha66y

The problem with that much money to spend on hifi gear would always leave you wondering if you actually have the best of each part, is the 100K turntable as good as the 120K turntable being showcased at the next hifi show…..it’ll always come down to never being truly happy that you have reached your goal, and always feeling there’s something else you could do!
I would imagine reading a lot of the personalities on these forums, that should that kind of money become available, the actual music collections owned would take a back seat for a very long time whilst the hand ringing and inner turmoil ran its course….just stick a note n ya door saying “ no music allowed until overhaul Complete ”
I bet that sign would yellow over time at a rate slower than the dwindling cash…lol 😜😜😜😜😜

Craig uk

Distinguished Member
The problem with that sort of Hifi is it's great with Jazz, but put on Metallica or something like that, it'll sound bad
They're designed to sound great with Diana Krall..
A decent system will play anything well & it doesn’t have to cost silly money either.

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
I bet that sign would yellow over time at a rate slower than the dwindling cash…lol 😜😜😜😜😜
Bloody hell! You'd really have to go some to see £ 145 million dwindle!!!!!

sha66y

Bloody hell! You'd really have to go some to see £ 145 million dwindle!!!!!
I see indecision,
and rooms in large houses with high ceilings crammed with what were once potential “ this is its “
To end up as hifi ballast, hastily discarded for something someone said was better?
Each with a price tag ascending until the money runs out and not one single track off a favoured album has been played……

This hobby or rather “ enthusiasm “ is a money grabbing rabbit hole, with many rabbits to explore it….🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
I see indecision,
and rooms in large houses with high ceilings crammed with what were once potential “ this is its “
To end up as hifi ballast, hastily discarded for something someone said was better?
Each with a price tag ascending until the money runs out and not one single track off a favoured album has been played……

This hobby or rather “ enthusiasm “ is a money grabbing rabbit hole, with many rabbits to explore it….🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I think with a high enough budget it would be an absolute hoot.
You would not need to comptomise on anything. No shortcuts, no ' well I think I prefer that one, but it's a grand more'. No worrying about what she thinks, you will be building your dream Man Cave. Plus trying out some unbelievable kit.
Sure hope it's a problem I find myself in. 😉

sha66y

I think with a high enough budget it would be an absolute hoot.
You would not need to comptomise on anything. No shortcuts, no ' well I think I prefer that one, but it's a grand more'. No worrying about what she thinks, you will be building your dream Man Cave. Plus trying out some unbelievable kit.
Sure hope it's a problem I find myself in. 😉
And that brings in to play the old saying
“ some know the cost of everything ….and the value of nothing”

How could you ever know you have the best set up without auditioning
How long would the auditioning last and at what price point would beautiful crafted pieces be discarded because they appear not expensive enough, and when would you get the opportunity to just sit down and enjoy one of your albums, without thinking you might just do something different to tweak it a bit more……..the desire never ends …but the money must…lol🙂🙂

Myself , as previously stated would set a relatively low budget of around 20K and spend a lot of time listening and marvelling !

sha66y

I’m think the additional 40 mil added to the £145 mil pot for Tuesdays euro lottery draw might entice me to get 4 or 5 more expensive ( not necessarily better) turntable cartridges 😉😉

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
I'd buy 145 million lottery tickets with the same number

sha66y

At £2 a pop for a lottery ticket, I think you may have to find another £145 million from somewhere lol😙

Ugg10

Distinguished Member

Surely you should buy 58 million tickets all with different numbers!! You would still only have a 1 in 2.5 chance of winning as the odds are 140million to one.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
A top of the range Steinway Lyngdorf stereo hifi and the same home cinema.

Then a whopping house with huge rooms. And a ton of acres around it. No noise. No neighbours.

Bliss.

PlasmaNewbie

Hmm, Just for the record. I didn't win this week. Good Luck to whoever did!

gibbsy

Well I haven't let this big win go to my head but I'm dictating this to my secretary.

Ascotbilly

Well I haven't let this big win go to my head but I'm dictating this to my secretary.
But you’re still thinking is that new SACD actually worth £30 🤣🤣

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
I don't think that I would have a dedicated cinema room.
The den would of course have a projector & screen, for relaxing, football etc. A pool table,air soccer, bar, more than decent sound system, maybe a life-size terminator model. Oh & absolutely no cushions or candles.

Last edited:

Deaf Audiophile

I don’t normally do the lottery, but I will buy a couple of tickets for the £145m draw on Tuesday.

I’ve only heard two high end systems, one was in the old Linn showroom in Glasgow. I have no idea what the system was, but we played radioheads Pablo Honey on Cd, and it was like the band were in the room… The other was Kef Blades and Chord Amps at the HIFI show 2019 at Ascot, that was stunning. There are some silly prices for kit, Wilson Audio WAMM’s comes to mind. For the price of two houses , they must be good.. i really wouldn’t know where to start. I would personally focus on the actual sound rather than bragging rights. For me vinyl, would be the primary source…

So what hi-if system would you advise someone to buy if they (or you) won? Assume you‘ve sorted out friends / family / charities etc. You are in a position to have a room made to what ever size and have it as acoustically perfect as possible. What kit would you put in a ‘perfect’ room with an unlimited budget.
I would pay the Royal Philharmonic to play in my lounge. It would beat all your set ups lol.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Give it all to Donald Trump so he can "investigate" election fraud.

3rdignis

I'd build a small hotel with home cinema, gaming and music rooms.

lindsayt

I'd build a small hotel with home cinema, gaming and music rooms.
Indeed. The home is the most important part - in the broadest sense of the term - of an audio system.

A DIY hotel / chateau / country pile would be a fine option.
An already made, used chateau would be another option. Such as this one for example. It has 2400m2 living space, grounds of 13 hectares, 26 bedrooms, swimming pool. tennis court. On sale for 1.9 million euros.
51627446660e2f56cc4ce76.31879805_1000.jpg

17446984860e2f56dc10e88.17125676_1024.jpg

Here's an example of another nice place, on sale for 1.75 million euros:
9266027786282038f264e50.27501303_e584053afd_1440.jpg

147227645762820266516a62.51468539_2a37557ab2_2138.jpg

504224021628201adcab8e2.58648223_2a8d44d3a0_2500.jpg

With a place like that, I'd host my own European sort of equivalent to the Hi-fi Wigwam Scalford show. With it being free to exhibit and stay for 1 week and 10 euros per visitor. With the best systems at each show being invited to set up in the main hi-fi room for a shoot-out with the same recordings played at the same volumes on each system.

The best sounding system would become the in-house system. If 2 systems sounded equally good, cheapest would win.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand