1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would make YOU own an iPod?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Aug 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I've been driven to this by a mixture of guilt and compassion. Guilt, because I've indulged in some moderate Apple/iPod bashing on this forum (some justified, some plain opinionated); compassion, because I think some of those on here clearly happy with their choice of an iPod are getting a raw deal for this, and I'd like to be among the first to redress the balance.

For me, here's a wish list that, if Apple delivered on it on future iPod models, would have me switching players in a heartbeat:

1) Reliable, removable, VERY long-life (50+ hrs) battery

2) VAST improvement in SQ, particularly bass response, even WITH low-grade, cheapo headphones

3) Multi-codec support in iTunes and on player

4) Gapless playback of at least one format

5) Better SURFACE build quality - particularly, getting rid of the 'I scratch easily' plastic front, and the fingerprint-hungry chrome back

6) Reduction in all physical dimensions, including weight

7) Standard mini USB 2.0 connectivity

8) Removal of unnecessary junk like calender, games, et al

9) Reliable HDD around 80GB at the range's top end

Think that about covers it. The look I could live with, the clickwheel I love.

Any other non-iPodders care to field their thoughts?

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, should also point out that the above-numbered list is, in fact, not in order of importance ...

3. L11

L11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If it was smaller, black, had usb connector and functioned as a mass storage device (does it?), longer battery life

Hold on... did i jus describe the hd5?

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You know, sometimes I do wonder if it's worth it for us who actually know jack **** to stick around on this forum. Posts like this from someone who complains that the mainsteam media are iPod fixated and always write "xxx is not an iPod" amuse me however since he is basically saying "xxx is not an HD5"

Little image present for you L11: No need to even hunt for a USB-Mini cable with this attachment for the iPod.

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll find that's both harsh, and wrong. I'm asking non-iPod owners (that's not you, btw) what they'd want to see improved on future iPods (because, no doubt about it, there's a LOT of room for improvement) before they'd consider buying one.

Which part of that wasn't clear to you?

6. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The problem is, shadowritten, many of your LOT of room for improvement is based on supposition.

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again, not so. I don't suppose anything. I've played around with the iPod. I found it wanting. Change it, and I'll probably love it as much as you and thousands of others clearly do :thumbsup:

8. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im considering the next iPod for my mp3 player, for me the only thing it would need is a longer battery life and battery that is replaceable!

sure things like fm radio and colour screen would be nice, but i dont think i would really need them, i dont think there is anything else they need to change in my opinion, the sound on the mini was good, i couldnt fault it, but then again im not an audiphile or whatever you call them. I could imagine a USB would be good though, although i think i could live with using an different cable

9. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Convenience and ease of use. Oops...it already has them Must go out and get one.

10. Grey Area

Grey Area

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Removeable battery is a must, otherwise no chance. Next important feature is gapless.
    Also, I really like the looks of the mini, so if they changed the design of the full-size version to something similar, that would be nice. And a good LCD-remote would help, too.

Björn

11. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good call on the Mini looks - much nicer!

12. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hang on. That's it. Put my wish list in a ... mmm ... green? ... yes, green iPod Mini, and I think I'd be as happy as a sandboy!!

13. Giant Rabbit

Giant Rabbit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought an NWHD5 but would have gone for an Ipod if:

1.) It had a much better battery life - 30 hours and a removable battery
    2.) It was a tad smaller
    3.) It had gapless playback (the things I do for Pink Floyd and Sigur Ros)
    4.) The SQ was improved slightly

---

That's it - I would have gone for the Ipod if it had all those - would like a design similar to the Ipod Mini too. My personal opinion is that the HD5 is the best 20GB music player on the market at present overall; Sonicstage 3.2 is not too bad - almost intuitive(!) and the interface on the player is very quick and easy to use. The black version is also very good looking when you actually see it for real as opposed to looking at pics on the web.

I will stick with the HD5 for 3 years now I hope (Have a full 3-year gurantee on it) and then in three years time I will look again at the market - colour screens, DAB radio, 120 GB, movie players, internet access... :D

14. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yesterday I saw a Sony HD5 fot the first time... ugly as ****... but the iPOD 20GB is far being good looking too... uhhg

The Mini is nice, so is Shuffle.

15. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shouldn't this be in the beauty contest thread ;)

16. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    That's true... it was just a comment... :cool:

17. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I personally wouldnt have an Ipod as i must be one of the very few that think it looks horrendous and after trying one out at length against the HD5 and the Rio Karma the Karma won no contest in my personal little trial for the one thing that really isnt discussed at length here....... "sound quality!"

I tried all three with various phones and using a headphone amp prior to buying my first Dap and to be honest with the "quality" phones i think Apple have some way to go as reards SQ.

I suppose im not one of those who do the style over substance mularchy i just prefer to buy what i perceive to be the best to my ears and basically the Ipod doesnt do it for me thro either good phones or a decent hi fi even thro the Ipod dock.

On the thread starters list i dont need a calendar ive got a diary i dont need games the lil ones got a playstation and i dont need a clock ive got a watch !! I do need a digital audio player to do what its supposed to do play music an do it well.
    The Karma does gapless, it does thro Rio DJ, playlists and for me every conceivable way to play my music an it does it well. The buttons dont crack the screen doesnt scratch in a nano second and it doesnt look like a fag packet ... my guess is and it is a guess that im listening to better sound from my ripped cd's than those listening to the much maligned yet loved HD5 owners and the Ipod masses who cant see past the sterile little white tampax holder !!!!!

PS
    Extremelydodgy dont leave the forum your opinions are valued just bite the tongue count to 10 and enjoy the greater knowledge, i know ive benefited from it cheers

18. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here, here!

19. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,361
    I think the one thing that might lead me to buy an i-pod is if every 14 year old wanabee on the way into school didn't have one.

Oh, and a drop in price to something more reasonable.

And either a longer lasting battery, or a user replaceable one.

And better sound quality (not that it's that bad, but you did ask).

And WMA compatible.

But apart from those problems, I'd snap one up tomorrow!

Steve W

20. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    One of the things I hated most about my iPod was the retro-esque Mac font "Chicago". It felt like a kid's computer, if you get me. They've used a much nicer one on the new Colour ones though.

Also, I'd only buy another one if they got rid of the scroll wheel. I just found it irritating.

On top of that, all the functions must be accessible at once - I shouldn't have to navigate to a different screen to change volume. Also get rid of the Star-ratings on the player. I ended up just ignoring them after I kept setting them by accident. I shouldn't have to look at the screen to know what I'm changing.

Also, they'd have to get rid of the stupidly easy to scratch chrome back. It looks great in publicity photos then looks crap a few weeks later when it starts to collect gunk.

21. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My thoughts are similar to those of the Giant Rabbit.

I would have bought a 20GB iPod instead of the NW-HD5 if not for the following reasons:

1. Gapless playback

I don't want gaps between tracks where there shouldn't be. I know there is a workaround, but the thought of having to "join tracks" and potentially end up with half-a-dozen songs or even a whole album in one track was a big turn-off.

2. Size and weight

This is one of the HD5's key advantages. No doubt Apple will make improvements in this area, but for now the HD5 is closer in size to the iPod mini than the full-sized iPod. I didn't want my DAP to be any bigger than what it was replacing - namely my MiniDisc player - so the HD5 fit the bill for me.

3. Cost

Here in Oz, the 20GB iPod is $449, but you have to buy a case, so that pushes the cost up further. Nobody discounts on iPods that I know of, but I was able to get a good price on the HD5 (just over $400), and it comes with a case (admittedly it's a rather crappy one, but I use it), so the HD5 works out to be around $80-100 cheaper than the iPod (about £30-40 for the benefit of you Britons).

Andrew

22. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my first post here. This is a great forum for people who have not joined the white side. Sometimes it feels so lonely to not be an iPod fan!

OK, responding to the thread question, I fear I wouldn't buy an iPod now because I don't like its look (I'm tired of white) and tend to not like things that are excessively popular and considered "fashionable", but here are what prevented me from buying one before:

- Gapless playback. I think the join tracks thing is just a stupid compromise and lack of gapless is too much of poor engineering to be acceptable.
    - Size. The iPod could be smaller already. It's not that bad, but it can be more compact.

That's it, really. I don't mind the iPod's sound, distorted EQ, need of software for music transfers etc. It would be nice if it displayed more information in the current playing screen (if they let you browse by composer, they should let you see the name of the composer whose work is being played), but that's not as crucial. By the way, more than 90% of my CDs (and I always buy CDs, never download) are classical, and I have a few hundred that require gapless playback.

23. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I don't get the idea of the ipod shuffle, does that mean it just shuffles your tunes and not play them normally, if that is the case you may have a favourite tune that you hardly ever hear, and others you hear all the time, i just dont get it WHY have a whole gadget dedicated to playing random music when for years most cd players, mini discs et al have played shuffle as an option, IF the ipod only shuffles music then to me its a step backwards, and for that matter so is the ipod sound quality!!!!! :confused:

24. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It doesn't just play randomly. It can also play in order. See for yourself: http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/

Andrew

25. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Your last comment is ridiculous mate. I own a i-pod and I have listened to the HD3 (Not the HD5) on numerous occassions and I am very pleased with the sound quality which is far more realistic than the heavy flabby bass of the Sony. Although I have not heard the HD5 I have heard the bass is the same.

26. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Geez 50 hours, thats a huge jump from what they have now, but if they did get that then woah, that will sell like crazy.

Yeha the sound quality needs to jump up ALOT, specially bass as you said, to have even more than the HD5, and to have a EQ that works, and one that can be customised on the player.

They need support for atrac3+ ehehe, if only

How about gapless playback on ALL formats, then you can actually have a choice, unlike crappy sony.

Well, yeah it fingerprints easily but doesn't everything do that when its really shiny??

Definately needs to be smaller, the 20 gig should be smaller than the current Minis, and minis should actually be mini.

About point 7, i do like the idea of a port in the bottom that you can connect many things to, all the Usb is used for is computer and transfer, you cant use it for, well now to think of it, what else do you plug into it?, firewire maybe, but other than AV output its really just for USB and line out, which the HD5 has already got on the unit itself. It would be nice to have an Ipod with the lineout feature of the HD5, i find that very handy, i will not ever carry a dock around. Maybe any periferals to the device can be connected via USB mini port, or have firewire port too, i dunno what it looks like though.

If the games and extra features dont actually hinder any other part of the Ipod, then i dont see why you shouldnt have them. You need to consider those who use the features, and they cant just take it all away now that they are used to it. And for someone who doesn't use them, well, they dont have to and it wont affect them by being there anyway. I definately want a clock on the HD5, it should be the standby background or screensaver, not to mension that they should add a standby or similar feature to remember the tracks you've played (specially for shuffle).

Come on, how many people have or will ever have 80 gigs of music? And im not saying that there arn't any, but a model with that much space would need to play back DVDs or something to make it worthwhile. that does sound cool, rip your dvds and transfer and play them on your ipod in high res colour, with headphones.
    THe smallest should be prolly 5 or 6 gig, then have a 10 gig, then 20 and 40 and 60, and 80, or similar, i thinl there needs to be one inbetween the current 5 and 20 gigs, so about 10, or maybe just replace all 5 gigs or similar with the lowest being 10 gigs, and then suggest having higher bitrate for better quality or something.

I am definately waiting to see what the new models can give me, I doubt they will have our whole wishlist included but hopefully the majority. One can only dream. But Imagine how good it would be if they did make a perfect DAP. I'd rather Ipod do it since they already have a big headstart, the software, accessories support, and clickwheel. Sony would need pressure sensitive buttons to compete with that.

27. *baggie*

*baggie*
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely the point of owning an ipod/NW-HD3 is to listen to music. And there can be no doubt the HD3 sounds loads better than the ipod. Full stop. The rest is largely secondary, with pros and cons for each product, and a large dose of opiniated crap.

28. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This simply cant happen. Cheapo headphones physically cant be made to sound better no matter what you put through them, cos they're cheap.

To improve overall SQ, you would need to sample the music at a higher bitrate and use less compression you would then need more space.

29. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually we're talking about HOW you listen to music, and making the experience better by having better interface and less hassles, and Sound quality and gapless is a huge part of "listening to music".
    Yes obviously its main function is to playback music, (which the ipod struggles to do in some cases), but whats the point of a thing that can play music if its gonna fall apart in a day?, nothing should be considered secondary and every aspect of everything is important.
    I do agree on your second point, Hd5 sounds loads better than ipod, but it still can get better.

30. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yep the ipod shuffle can play normal playback as well, THANK GOD! i just think Apple are clever to use shuffle music to sell there ipod when really it should come as standard on all ipods I really feel sorry for all you ipod users who have to pay vast amounts of money for extras which can only be used with your ipods, for example they market a cassette adapter to play your ipod through your car tape player for about fifty quid, yet the one i use for my machine is about ten quid, the only difference i can see is the ipod one is painted white, i just hope the majority of you ipod users are clever enough to relize this and dont buy extras because they say 'ipod' and given a ipod look when you can get cheaper and sometimes better quality products for a lot, lot cheaper with out an ipod endorsement!!!!!