1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would bebest option?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by IDOBLE, May 13, 2005.

1. IDOBLE

IDOBLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Currently for are main TV set we have a 14in TV/VCR combi (the other half doesnt want a big tv clogging up the room) but I think I have managed to talk her round to getting a 17in Widescreen TV.
    What im not sure about is best way to replace Freeview Box & DVD player. I currently have a cheap goodman freeview box & a Hikoni DVD player (£25 from Tesco). What would be my best option :-

1) Freeview Box & DVD Recorder (any recommendations upto £300)
    2) Digifusion FVRT150 & DVD Player
    3) Sony GXD500 (DVD Recoder & Freeview combined )

Any help appreciated

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    The best option would depend upon what you want to achieve.

Do you primarily want to Timeshift? If so then I throughly recommend Freeview PVRs - although I would suggest doing a bit more research on the precise model to get.

Do you foresee yourself wanting to archive recordings? If so then bear in mind a HDD Freeview solution such as the Digifusion isn't going to allow that. In such a situation the Sony GXD500 would make a good choice.

Do you want to make edited recordings that play on other DVD players? If so then you need to look at a seperate Freeview box and a HDD/DVDR combi (you could get all this for around £300). Alternatively use the Sony GXD500 and a PC to achieve the same.

Is you main concern playing DVDs? To be honest it will be hard to spot a poor player on a 17" widescreen (you need to convince your other half to let you have that 50" plasma/LCD! :) ) but the GXD500 will do a good job for you.

I appreciate my answer probably isn't that helpful. But all the options you state would be right for somepeople and totally wrong for others.