• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What would be the best projector for both a 2D cinematic experience, and HD Gaming?

Reil

Standard Member
Sorry to have to make a thread like this, I've read the reviews for almost every projector, but just want to make sure I don't make a bad decision.

From what I've read, the JVC DLA-HD950 and HD990 seems to score the highest mark. Would these be the best Projectors in the market for 2D HD Gaming and Cinema?

If not, could you tell me what would be the best projector in terms of:
1) Limitless Budget
2)£6,000
3)£3,000

Thank you, and again sorry to have to make a thread like this, my dad signed a contract with a home theater company and they gave us a deadline to decide on the projector we want.

Last edited:

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
Hi Reil

is your av company recommending the JVC HD950 or 990?, I hope they haven`t as both models are discontinued!!!!!

what are you wanting out of a projector, is 2d going to be your main priority or will some 3d be viewed, not now but maybe later?

The JVC DLA-X3 is on a similar footing to the HD950 with 3d built in and excellent 2d reproduction.

Also The Epson EH-TW 5500 is surely a contender, maybe being replaced soon but still a current model atm.

both models come in around £3500 or less.

for £5500 the Sony VW ES 90 in 2d is excellent and if you use the Xpand 103 3d glasses is good at 3d performance as well.

Whats your viewing/projector distance and room conditions as in decor, also what screen size are you intending on having.

Allan @ Ideal AV

Last edited:

Mad Monk

Established Member
The JVC's are awful for gaming compared to DLP projectors. At that price point I'd consider brands such as Sim2.

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
why would you say that?

I use a ps3 albeit very rarely as I don`t want to waste my pj on games and its fine

Reil

Standard Member
Oh no, so far they've only offered the optoma HD82, Optoma Themescene HD87, and ProjectionDesign Avielo Radiance. But they've told me if I find another projector I'd rather have, they'd install it for us.

The Cinema Room is 6 Meters wide by 12 Meter's long. The screen size is 2.7 Meters wide by 1.52 meters long. It'll be dark, All black/dark grey and soundproofed. The room is still isn't built, so viewing/projector distance isn't set yet.

I don't plan on using 3D, but if there's a projector that does both without sacrificing 2D quality(In terms of blackest black and contrast ratio's and general image quality), I wouldn't mind it.

Thanks.

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
for me then the jvc x3 ticks everything

great blacks, great 2d performance and 3d

what more can you ask for ;)

Reil

Standard Member
Thanks Allan!

Gonna do a bit more research just in case, but you've made me hover around the JVC x3 as a candidate!

Mad Monk

Established Member
why would you say that?

I use a ps3 albeit very rarely as I don`t want to waste my pj on games and its fine

The motion blur effect is quite horrible and makes scenes where there is plenty of action on screen look a complete mess, plus with very dark FPS games you get black crush and sometimes just can't figure out what the hell is going on.

@ Reil - The JVC projectors are damn fine for film purists, but for an PJ with overall excellent performance I'd go for a DLP beamer. Your room is also massive and depending on placement and final screen size, you may need something that packs a few lumens.

Reil

Standard Member
The motion blur effect is quite horrible and makes scenes where there is plenty of action on screen look a complete mess, plus with very dark FPS games you get black crush and sometimes just can't figure out what the hell is going on.

@ Reil - The JVC projectors are damn fine for film purists, but for an PJ with overall excellent performance I'd go for a DLP beamer. Your room is also massive and depending on placement and final screen size, you may need something that packs a few lumens.

Any specific models I should look out for?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The new Epson R2000 and 4000 should be worth a look.

Last edited:

Mad Monk

Established Member
Any specific models I should look out for?

TBH I haven't seen any of the newer Sim2 models in action so would only be guessing but I own an old Sim2 HT500 which throws a punchier image than any JVC PJ that I have seen. I used to own the HD1 and HD100 and have seen the HD750 but they've all left my home theater and the Sim2 stayed.

I'd love to demo the Lumis 3D-S, they also have a great range of projectors so a dealer demo is a must considering the money that you're spending. Their black levels are marginally shy of the JVC's but beat it in every other area.

In that big of a room I'd consider projectors with calibrated contrast figures of 5000+ at over 1500 lumens or the image may look a tad dim and lifeless from the back row.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom