What would be an upgrade?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bass007, Aug 15, 2006.

1. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi,

I have a Onkyo 898 THX reciver which cost me £2000 about 4-5 years ago I think its a great amp, but I want a bit more grunt and excitement and better dynamics just wondering what I shoud be looking at? I have budjet of about £1500, I don't want to up-grade just for the sakes of it i want a significant improvement, I would rather stick to what I have if its not worth it, speakers used on the systen are the M&K's S150's which are demanding. Cheers...

Oh I do not care much for hdmi switching.....just sound quality

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    hmm, well to be honest its more the surround steering side of sound thats improved a lot over the years and the video side......there are some sound improvements, but as with stereo amps it all comes down to matching up your speakers to the amp....

if the sound is the main criteria i'd say consider Arcam, they seem to have a good following of ardent sound enthusiasts........

otherwise the usual suspects of Denon and Yamaha still lead the front from an overall sound and gadgetry level.....

i'd say put the new Arcam 350 on your list, its at the price point and seem so to be building some good support......the Denon 4306 is a bit inbetween, it has more gadgetry but probably a slightly less powerful amp section in the sense of providing continuous power.....tbh with Denon i'd be looking for clearance bargains on their £2k amp (forgot the model number for the moment sorry..lol), you might pick it up for £1.5k....

oh, also consider Primares SPA21 if you only need 5.1 sound.....lovely performer, happily takes on speakers like MA GR20's, so i would imagine the M&K's would like it from a power point of view......its pretty basic in the video and gadgetry dept tho......but thats all the better for keeping the sound good, however it is around £1,900 i think, but you might be able to get it knocked down or haggle, or even consider laying out a bit more...heh

3. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I was wondering If looked around for Lexicon MC1 and a Parasound 2205 pwr amp if that would be better than going for the latest £1.5-2k recivers?

4. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first reaction would be that this will be a better combination than a receiver, but best would be to try and listen to it to hear how well they combine.

Lexicon and Parasound individually are good, but there is always the possibility that the combination may not be as good as each seperate component - if that makes sense:D

5. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Do you use the system for stereo listening too? If so a good used proc/power combination should give much better results than a receiver.

6. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    it will be used 100% for movies!!

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    100% for movies, then to be honest you want to find the integrated or proc/power amp that has the best steering ability, as well as decent solid power behind it.....

tbh i'd try looking around for Denons 2nd top tier model, its got buckets of power and some good processing ability......if you hunt around you might find an ex-dem going for £1400-1,500.....if not then try the options you suggest, altho mix and match can be both good or bad...heh

8. DMT

DMT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I just bought a Pioneer AX10AiS "as new" refurbed from Pioneer for £1399

9. MUGGY

MUGGY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not keep the Onkyo and add power amps if you want more oomph:smashin: as I doubt for £1500 a new integrated will give you the extra you require.

10. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Muggy, I was wondering in terms of processing if the newer recievers offer better processing?

11. MUGGY

MUGGY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My opinion would be that you will get a bigger improvement in sound by using your current receiver as a pre-amp and adding power amps than you would by spending your budget on a new Integrated Receiver. The 898 you have is not that old and was highly regarded and should work well with some tasty amplification. You could ask the guys that hang out on the Pre-Power Forum for advice on power amps.

I spotted the thread below on the AVS Forum, whilst not exactly mirroring your position (you have a better Receiver than most of these guys would advocate) they basically share the drift of what I'm saying.

I hope this helps but I don't really have any concrete suggestions for power amps. I just know that if I were in your postion this is the way I would look.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=710656

12. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I'll second KB's recommendation for the Arcam AVR350, it will be a big improvement.

13. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I will have to try and borrow if I can, also do you think it will have enough power for the M&K's S150?