• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered What would be a good upgrade? (amplifier)

Ladylike

Banned
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and would like to ask you a question.
I want to buy an amplifier for my husband (he loves all that stuff) to put in our new home cinema. I don't know the first thing about this, so I thought I'd ask you guys for your advice.
I'm more of a turn table lover :)

We currently have an Audion Sterling (Pure Class A) Triode amplifier - I just wrote down everything that's written on it. Hope this makes sense.

What would be a good upgrade? I'm looking to spend no more than 5000 GBP for the whole set up.
And do you know any good deal sites/online stores where I could get it?

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 598831

Hi there Ladylike. The Audion Sterling you have is a 2ch stereo amp that powers 2 speakers. For a home cinema you would want a multi channel ampliifer to create surround sound. They can be in one box called an av receiver, or usually as an upgrade people go for a separate processor and power amplifier.

What speakers will you be running in your cinema?

Ladylike

Banned
Hi there Ladylike. The Audion Sterling you have is a 2ch stereo amp that powers 2 speakers. For a home cinema you would want a multi channel ampliifer to create surround sound. They can be in one box called an av receiver, or usually as an upgrade people go for a separate processor and power amplifier.

What speakers will you be running in your cinema?

Oh boy, that's a good question. We already have some speakers (to make 7:1 dolby surround) but they're in storage so I can't look up the brand or type.

So I would need a seperate processor and a power amplifier? Yamaha Denon or Pioneers will be good brands to look at?

D

Deleted member 598831

It "sounds" like your partner has a keen ear for quality. If you can let me know the speakers you have it will help work out if you would be ok with an AVR, or if the speakers are of a higher end, then maybe a better AVR or PRE & Power amp would be better.

D

Deleted member 39241

£5000 is a big budget for surround sound amplification. Most flagship AVR models of the makes you mention such as Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, come in at around the £2000 mark.

To spend £5000 you would be looking at a quite high end product such as Arcam, and for the additional money you get a calibrated microphone, and room correction software, that enables you to get very detailed about how you can alter the sound in order to compensate for any audio problems created by the room.

If your cinema room is already built with acoustics in mind, and maybe even has acoustic treatments, then maybe you won't need such high end room calibration options?

The mainstream AVR's mentioned above, also have room correction software, but it is not as thorough and is more plug and play.

If you want to spend more money, maybe consider an extra subwoofer, for a 7.2 system. Or, even look at the atmos route, where you can add more than 7 speakers and get overhead sounds (eg rain effects).

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom